SuperTuck arrived yesterday - A review

This is a discussion on SuperTuck arrived yesterday - A review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, so I got in late last night and went to check the mailbox. Tada! A package from Crossbreed. I opened it, briefly read the ...

Thread: SuperTuck arrived yesterday - A review

Distinguished Member Array SpringerXD's Avatar

SuperTuck arrived yesterday - A review

Okay, so I got in late last night and went to check the mailbox. Tada! A package from Crossbreed. I opened it, briefly read the literature, and decided to wait until today to try it out.

The pistol it's for is an XD 45 Compact. Earlier today, I dropped the mag and unchambered the round and tried out the SuperTuck. My observations are as follows.

First, I tried it out with just the XD (not wearing). The fit seems a bit looser than other IWB's I've tried, but this is a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I don't like for a holster to hold the gun with a death grip. No, it won't just fall right out of the SuperTuck, but it doesn't require 80 pounds of pull to draw, either.

I can see what others are saying about making the "combat cut." I have decided to not do this (more on this topic later).

Then I put on the belt (Wilderness Instructor Belt) and "installed" the SuperTuck.

Initially, I was a little upset, thinking, "Geez! How am I supposed to put this thing on? It's so WIDE!" But I very quickly realized that I can easily just loosen the belt and pants, slip the SuperTuck inside the pants, and snap the clips over. There is also a degree of sliding capability, since the clips are kydex and can be loosened easily. I see this as an improvement over standard leather snaps because I always have to feed the belt through them and deal with the placement of the belt loops on the pants. Not the case here.

So I got the holster adjusted at about 4:00-4:30, my normal carrying position. I decided that I would adjust the ride height.

I lowered the height by one hole on both sides. At first I thought that lining up the screw through the ring, the clip, the rubber tensioner, the backing, and the nut on the other side would be a pain. It turned out to be a breeze. This adjustment puts the top of the holster body almost exactly parallel with the top of my pants, which is precisely where I want it.

So back to the bedroom. I put the Supertuck on again and inserted the XD. The height is now perfect. It holds it very snug to my side and concealment is easy with a t-shirt. Reholstering is also no problem at all.

Two things really surprised me:

1. I find that carrying at about 3:00 with the SuperTuck is the most comfortable to me. I have always carried at about 4:30-5:00 in the past with a forward cant, which brings me to.....

2. I prefer the standard cant with both clips parallel to each other, like it ships from the factory. Besides, I prefer to not have to reach around "behind" myself to draw, but most IWB holsters have pretty much forced me to do this because of their (unadjustable) cant angle.

I went outside to smoke (yeah, yeah, I know) while wearing the rig. I can totally see what people mean about falling asleep with the SuperTuck on. The comfort is extraordinary!

Now about the "combat cut." If I hold the SuperTuck in my left hand and draw the pistol with the right, I can see what some people are saying about the leather backing being there and making the drawing grip clumsy. But, when actually wearing it, it hasn't been a problem in the least. And besides, the wide leather backing is what aids in comfort in the first place. I'm not saying that I'll never do the cut, but I don't see a need for it at the outset.

I also like the fact that the back side of the leather is the rough side. This should help in holding it in place somewhat, especially in the summer.

So anyway, I'll give it a solid A. No, it's not made from the skin of the last known do-do bird with a 20-year wait, but I seriously think I like it better than any other IWB I've tried.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

2. Remove Ads

Welcome to the club SpringerXD! I LOVE my Super-Tuck.

If you want the thing to stay exactly where you put it, I highly suggest going to the V-Clips. The clips reside behind your belt, leaving them visible only to the most observant individual, which is probably about 1% of the population. If you never plan on tucking, you won't need 'em, but for tucking, there's no more stealthy way of utilizing the Super-Tuck than the V-Clips. Here's a couple of pics to show you what I mean:

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Welcome to the club SpringerXD! I LOVE my Super-Tuck.

If you want the thing to stay exactly where you put it, I highly suggest going to the V-Clips. The clips reside behind your belt, leaving them visible only to the most observant individual, which is probably about 1% of the population. If you never plan on tucking, you won't need 'em, but for tucking, there's no more stealthy way of utilizing the Super-Tuck than the V-Clips. Here's a couple of pics to show you what I mean:
    I meant to mention this and forgot..... I practically never tuck a shirt in. On the rare occasions I might have to, I probably won't be carrying, anyway.

But thanks for the tip!

EDIT: I might order the v-clips, anyway, just in case. That's some amazing concealment you've got going there.

-miklcolt45

I have to say after looking at those pics I am super impressed.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    I meant to mention this and forgot..... I practically never tuck a shirt in. On the rare occasions I might have to, I probably won't be carrying, anyway.

But thanks for the tip!
    You could have saved yourself $13.00 then by just getting the standard IWB holster.

I've got a couple of H.B.E. DC Tuckables coming in soon but I want to try a supertuck some day.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Ti Carry View Post
    You could have saved yourself $13.00 then by just getting the standard IWB holster.
    But I still like having the option....

-miklcolt45

I use a supertuck for my ruger p345, I can not even feel the thing after 5min.
    you will like it a lot, PS, My beretta 9000 fits the same holster just fine.

But thanks for the tip!

Yeah, actually, I haven't used my CB with the tuck mode hardly at all so far. I just left a job where I could wear a uniform shirt untucked, and just started a job where my uniform shirt must be tucked. The new job is with Brink's though, and although I will be armed with the blessing of the company (it's a requirement actually), I cannot carry my own weapon under any circumstances, so the Crossbreed will only see off-duty use from now on. I don't anticipate using the tucking option more than about 5% - 10% of the time, if that.

EDIT: I might order the v-clips, anyway, just in case. That's some amazing concealment you've got going there.
    I like the V-clips better than the standard clips anyway. I watch for carriers whenever I'm out and about, and I see belt loops and standard clips for CBs or Comp-Tacs fairly often, even when the wearer is untucked. I've seen 'em at concerts and football games when someone bends over to get something out of a cooler, and at Costco when they bend over to get something off a lower shelf or from the bottom of their cart at the checkout line. The V-clips don't completely eliminate getting made like that, but they do reduce the chances of it quite a bit. Plus, the weight of the gun/holster is carried by the belt with V-clips, whereas it's carried by the waist-band of the pants with the 2nd-most stealthy mounts, the J-clips. I really don't consider the standard clips very stealthy at all, whether tucked or untucked.
    But I still like having the option....
    Right, the more options the better. When I bought the Crossbreed, I had no idea I was going to be changing jobs where I wouldn't be able to go untucked anymore. For $13 bucks, I'll get my money's worth just by having the capability to tuck, no matter how much I actually use it.

Heck, I've already got my money's worth by all the comments here saying how impressive my concealment is! And, impressive or not, those pictures are probably the last time I'll carry like that. I took those pics mostly to show off my new Belt Man belt, which I wanted to post in this thread.

Blues
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

Well ok then, but you are the one who said you probably wouldn't carry if you had to tuck, not me. It's your $13.00 bucks!

I practically never tuck a shirt in. On the rare occasions I might have to, I probably won't be carrying, anyway.

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

Well ok then, but you are the one who said you probably wouldn't carry if you had to tuck, not me. It's your $13.00 bucks!

Ti
    I see. No, what I mean is that on those very rare occasions when I would tuck, it would probably be at a wedding or a funeral. You never know, though.

-miklcolt45

I love my Supertuck Deluxe w\V clips. Nothing more comfortable.

VIP Member
    I got mine a few weeks back and it it is great. I am going to order the V-clips as I got the J-hooks with mine.
    Glad to see it is working out.

Wish you guys would keep the rave reviews to yourselves. You just cost me $75.

Maybe I'll join in after my new SuperTuck arrives.

I went with a "J" clip in the back, and used my biker wallet belt loop attached to the front (made my own clips).

I envy you guys that can wear at 3:00. The best I can do is 3:45 in my Levis, and 4:00 in my work jeans (uniform company). I have not tried on a suit yet, I probably should soon.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I envy you guys that can wear at 3:00.
    It really surprised me because I usually can't/don't. One factor was that the XD 45 Compact has Pearce grip extensions and they tended to print a bit at 4:00-5:00. I also found that I prefer a straight cant as opposed to slanted, or at least with the SuperTuck.

-miklcolt45

Links