What's the Opinion on JackAss Shoulder Rigs?

This is a discussion on What's the Opinion on JackAss Shoulder Rigs? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I found a pretty good looking deal on a Jackass Shoulder holster on an odd ball site the other day. I've never heard of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the Opinion on JackAss Shoulder Rigs?

I found a pretty good looking deal on a Jackass Shoulder holster on an odd ball site the other day. I've never heard of the Jackass Leather Company and was wondering if it'd be a sturdy rig. At the price in the link below I'm kinda skeptical of the quality. The ranger rig looks very similar but the cost is still making mr think its a lemon. If you could check these both and let me know what you think I'd be grateful. Oh and if they do look shoddy feel free to throw me all the recomendations you can think of thanks.

Shoulder Holsters: Rays Holsters & Accessories
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I don't know about them,..but I can say the one shoulder rig I do own is an "offbrand" some local company makes/sells them,and I've had good success,...allows me to conceal my XD, and two extra mags

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

That was the rig that started Galco. Looks like their Miami Special. It was the premier shoulder holster setup in it's day. I think Galco's QC has gone down the toilet in the last ten/fifteen years since they went to a factory production line. I don't like shoulder rigs, but to each their own!

Administrator
    I'd check first to make sure those were genuine Galco Jackass shoulder rigs...for $65.00 ??

I am only saying that because Galco Jackass usually retail for about $130. though lately they have been ON SALE for $111.00.

Sounds like they might be "knock offs" to me.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I would think knock-off also.
    It states it can be converted from a shoulder holster to a belt holster. I honestly don't know a lot about the 'original' Jackass but I doubt it is a convertable holster.
    Most things that try to do 2 or more things do not accomplish either one very well.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

Lead Moderator
    No where does the ad say it is a Galco holster. I would think it is a copy of Galco's rig. I think i would find out what brand of holster it is, then maybe do some research.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator

Rocky

It doesn't.

But, it states that they are Jackass Shoulder Rigs & Jackass Leather Company was what Galco was named before Galco became Galco.

So older holsters made by Jackass Leather Co. are really Pre~Galco Galco holsters.

Galco still makes a Jackass shoulder rig but, it sure does not ever sell for $65.00.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

JD
    Administrator
    That's a Galco / JacAss Leather company knock-off, I have a Galco JackAss rig and it looks to be of much better construction.

A good shoulder holster is a nice thing to have, the wrong shoulder holster will make your life a living hell.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    I have one of the original Jackass shoulder holsters made for my Colt Detective Special. It cost ~$95 back in the late 1970s-early 1980s IIRC.

It was the only shoulder holster that I could wear comfortably and it was of modular design so that you could buy additional holsters, cuff cases, drop/mag cases for it for various guns.

If real and you like shoulder holsters (I hate wearing a jacket), jump on it. If it is a knock-off, I wouldn't buy it.

In summation, the original Jackass shoulder holster is a great rig if you like shoulder holsters.

It's one of those things that I should sell but just sits in a bag of unused holsters.

That's not a Galco Jackass, the holster / mag pouch has a reversed cant. It looks like cheap OWB attached to a cheap harness.

here's some pic's of the real deal
    JACKASS RIG SHOULDER SYSTEM

I have one and use it at home a lot and sometimes in the winter. $65 for the rig pictured is a little high.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Two observations. Why is the guy in the picture holding both sides down with his hands? It looks like it sits too far forward. My SH from Andrews Custom Leather tucks right under my left arm pit so it is well concealed under a jacket. This looks like it would be easy to spot unless the jacket were buttoned.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I have the newer version The Miami Classic. I have used one for 11 to 12 years now, and I think of all the holsters Galco makes, this is they're best design.

BTW I wore it while skiing yesterday. After 8 hours I forgot it was there. Also I have a 3" Kimber 1911, 1 extra mag, and a Surefire L1 flashlight (fits in the mag holder just fine).
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    That was the rig that started Galco. Looks like their Miami Special.
    Was it the one Don Johnson wore, or similar? (You know, the '80's didn't TOTALLY suck! )

http://www.usgalco.com/FactsInteresting.asp
    (I guess he DID wear one!)
    Last edited by taggart; January 30th, 2008 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Confirming my original thought
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

thair clamshell belt rig looks nice anyone here have one of these?

I'd pass and buy the Galco if it's what you want. Cheap leather doesn't hold up.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links