Defensive Carry banner

I need a good gun belt.

7K views 36 replies 31 participants last post by  nralifer4570 
#1 ·
Can anybody here make a recommendation, based on personal experience, for a really high quality gun belt that does not have GUN BELT!!! written all over it (no basket weave, for example).

#4 ·
I'll list them by order of wearing them, the most frequent first due to how I dress. BTW, I dress in jeans or Carhartt Pants most days followed by a suit.

Bruce Gibson
Mitch Rosen
The Beltman

Reactions: BruceGibson
#7 ·
UBG, Nate made a couple of belts for me and my dad. Mine is a 1 1/2", my dad's is a 1 1/4". Neither look like a gun belt. They are a little thinner than any of my other belts but still as stiff as needed.

#11 ·
Everybody needs a Top Quality Gun Belt. :yup:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bruce Gibson at Gibson Pro Rodeo.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tony at Milt Sparks

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nate at UBG Holsters

#13 ·
+ 1 on the Beltman. I actually placed another order from Jim today. Great guy, great product(s) at reasonable prices, and first rate service.

#21 ·
Hi AZ Husker,

Out of curiosity if you have a rig for a 1911 for instance, and you decide that you want a holster by another maker (I suspect you have done that.:)) do you always buy a complete rig including holster, belt, and mag carrier each time you get another holster? If you have holsters from Alessi, Sparks, Brommeland, and K&D would you buy a complete rig from each?

From my previous posts it is evident that I do not do that. While I have had a couple of instances where I had to either send back or modify I have holsters for 1911 full and compact, P9, G 26, Keltec P32 and P3AT, Makarov, S&W M60 3 inch, M 640 .357, and S&W 642. There may even be another or two.
For some of those guns I have 2-3 holsters from different makers.
While I would agree with you about a complete rig from a maker fitting best, I have not found it necessary, and the cost would obviously be rather great if I bought that many extra belts, and mag carriers.

I just do not think it necessary to buy all the belts and mag carriers to go with each holster. However, if one is getting only one or two it would not be a bad idea.

Thanks,
Jerry

#15 ·
model # b109L
Don Hume Lined Trouser Holster Belt

"This is it. At last, a belt that will carry the big gun. Double thickness of top grain cowhide. Stitched edge. Available in Plain Black & Saddle Brown."

Red Diamond Uniform & Police Supply, Inc. - Product Catalog

I'm wearing this belt by Don Hume, about $35, well-made, strong eoungh for a S&W 649 .357 Bodyguard revolver. Works for me.

The belt, along with a DH IWB holster was shipped within a week of my order. Not bad.

#17 ·
+what? About 8 or 10 now for The Belt Man? Add another here.

If you take the guns and knife off the belt, all it screams is "Black belt with a black buckle." Pretty innocuous for a screamin' belt! :rofl:

Blues

#23 ·
Thanks for the reply. To get the absolute best fit get them from the same maker.

My problems with that are,
1. If you have holsters from various makers it takes a lot of belts to do as you say. For instance, I have holsters from at least 6 different makers. I do not wear black belts with brown suits, so need two belts from each. That makes at least 12 belts. I do not see the need to go to that expense, and have not found it necessary.

2. It is my opinion that if a holster has 1.5 inch belt slots it should take a belt that is fully 1.5 inches wide and 0.25 inches thick. That requires a slight clearance so that the belt can slip through. If that were true, then there would be no necessisty to get the belt from each maker.
I am pleased with the RafterS belts I have. However, if you were to get a complete rig from Sparks, for instance, and then want a holster from Brommeland it should not be necessary to get a Brommeland belt unless you would consider the original belt is not the quality of the Brommeland. Just a for instance folks and not intended to push one over the other.

If one just wants a rig from each for personal preference then I have no argument with that. But in my own view if one has a nice black and brown belts of both 1.25 inch (for pants that do not take 1.5 inch belts) and 1.5 inch then he should not need to purchase a new belt when he purchases a new holster to have the holster, and mag carrier fit OK.

For some of us the expense is not an issue, but for some it is.

I have intended this just as a matter for discussion. It is OK by me whatever others want to do. I have pretty well settled on 1.25 inch belts from RafterS, and have not found any holster shift even if they have 1.5 inch slots. I find that a black and brown sharkskin do me fine.

Thanks again for the response. Have a good day.

Regards,
Jerry

#24 ·
In regards to belt width, some manufacturers base their width measurement on fitting through a buckle (in fact, that is the case with most of my belts). I have "1.5 inch" belts that range from 1.4" to 1.6" respectively. I also have a 1.75" belt that is actually 1.7". Just food for thought, since it could make or break the use of some holsters.

#25 ·
You are correct. If I remember correctly the belt that I had trouble with was exactly 1.5", and the slots on the holster were also exactly 1.5". It did not give any room to thread the belt through the holster slots.
It did "break" in this case.

It seems reasonable to me that since some belt manufacturers do make belts as wide as 1.6 for a 1.5 belt, that the holster makers would take that into account. The extra .2 of an inch would not cause any looseness in the belt in my own experience.

Thanks for the reply, I had forgotten that some make the belts to "fit the buckle."

Incidently the maker that I got the mag carrier from offered to make me another or correct the one I have if I would return it. I think my friend can correct it, but may end up sending it back.
When I contacted him he said that he should have asked that question, and I said that I should have given him the info. Neither of us thought about blame, but just to get the item satisfactory. That is the case when you deal with a top notch person.

Regards,
Jerry

#26 ·
I just ordered a beltman last week myself.

Why you ask? Because I called Galco about a holster problem, and while talking to them they told me that my main problem was that I didn't have a dedicated gun belt.

Why the Galco Cop belt, and Instructors "lined" belts are not gun belts are beyond me.

#31 ·
I also just bought one of Comp-Tac's new gun belts. 75.00 and had it within two weeks. It has a strip of Kevlar sewn between the two pieces of leather which makes for an extremely sturdy hold. It is good looking too I wear it with my work clothes.

#33 ·
FIST holster fan, but...

My post history will show I have praised FIST holsters a number of times. But ordering gear from the same maker does not assure all will be well.

I ordered a holster, magazine pouch, and belt at the same time all in dark red, 1 1/2" slots. I had to relieve the slots as the slots were a scooch too narrow. The holster and mag pouch are a beautiful matching dark red. The belt is dark brown with not a hint of red.

I called FISTand returned the belt twice, enclosing the holster the second time, asking for a matching belt. The brown belt was returned both times: "too bad Charlie".

In the mean time a friend orderd a belt in cardovan. Their site says their cardovan can be mistaken for black. That may make sense in subdued light. But there is not a hint of red in the belt. We laid a black belt beside it in the sunlight and there is no detectable difference. He returned his belt and the same belt was returned by FIST: "too bad Charlie".

FIST does make good holsters at a reasonable price with an array options. Belt slots may need to be relieved. Anyone considering matching colors should order black.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.