Wear IWB as OWB?

This is a discussion on Wear IWB as OWB? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any reason why you can't wear an IWB between the belt and the pants as OWB? Loops would work best as the clips might look ...

Thread: Wear IWB as OWB?

Wear IWB as OWB?

Any reason why you can't wear an IWB between the belt and the pants as OWB? Loops would work best as the clips might look funny, but if it's concealed who cares?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I feel the pants give my IWB holster added stability. Worn outside the pant , the loops will not hold the holster / gun in place as well as a OWB holster with everyday activities.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I've just gotta ask...why?

Question

I also have to ask why you would want to wear a IWB outside the waistband. It would definitely make concealing the weapon harder as you would need to cover the holster also. Heres a link for a holster that fits your post. K&D Holsters | Custom Gun Leather and Shooting Accessories

I can see a reason being an expanding waistline and tighter pants which make IWB impossible until larger pants are purchased.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

Mainly for comfort and in cooler weather when you can conceal easier. I HATE carrying IWB!

Why would you just not get an OWB holster?

Most of my guns I carry regularly I have both, an IWB and OWB for them, depending on time of year and what I am wearing.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

It seems to me like if IWB is so uncomfortable for you, it would not help to do this because it would still be under your belt. I see the pants too tight being a good reason - other than that I can't make sense of it. JMO

Austin

Yeah, it works, kinda. The belt is easier to let out a couple of notches to accommodate the holster than the pants! Heaven forbid I get any fatter! When converting to IWB, I switched my wardrobe to bigger pants, but still have a few jeans in the old "sized for me alone" (just a wee bit snug) size. I wear them when doing paint or concrete work hoping t ruin them so I can shred them. They are really uncomfortable with an IWB, so rather than switch out the belt clips on my Raven Concealment holster to OWB belt loops or paddle, I just put the rig between my belt and waistband. I do this only when working on a quick job, then go back to my "upsized" Carhartts. Works for me, but stability is not as good. If I was to carry OWB all day, I would change my holster to be OWB.
    Cheers...
    Last edited by pbanbury; January 31st, 2008 at 01:00 AM. Reason: clarity comes from a calm mind

I guess only if you don't have an OWB ... personally I'd go out and buy a Fobus owb before I misappropriate an IWB for the task ... wear the Fobus until your quality OWB arrives.

If you wear your IWB outside your pants but under your belt you only need the larger belt...

I have done this sometimes. I have two or three pair of great jeans that I love, but they're 2" too small for IWB. When I wear them, I sometimes use an IWB holster as an under the belt holster. I haven't done that recently since I now own several great OWB holsters I'd use instead, but it can be done.

And if you've got a good gun belt, most of the "stability" based concerns will likely be nullified. My favorite IWB holster has a clip and just barely fits around my belts... it's going nowhere.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Why not just buy an OWB holster?

Links