Ambi-holsters, anyone?

Ambi-holsters, anyone?

This is a discussion on Ambi-holsters, anyone? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I've got a problem. I have a separated right shoulder. So I can't draw using my right (primary) hand. I can draw and shoot ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ambi-holsters, anyone?

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar

Ambi-holsters, anyone?

Ok, I've got a problem. I have a separated right shoulder. So I can't draw using my right (primary) hand. I can draw and shoot reasonably OK with my left hand, but I don't have any left handed holsters. I don't know how long my shoulder is going to take to hear properly. I also need something soon, so a custom holster seems out. I carry a Kahr P9. Any suggestions? (In a perfect world, there would be reversible holsters. )

Thanks in advance!

This guy (wrbusa.com) makes really nice ballistic nylon holsters that are ambidexterous = In pants holster. It would be an inexpensive alternative while your shoulder is healing.

I have one of his holsters for 3 different handguns. They are well made and conceal easily. He also offers a tuckable version my husband uses for one of his.

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    I've been nursing a grade II separated shoulder on the weak side since November. I noted that physical therapy exercises are a lot like the motions for drawing.

I honestly know nothing about a P9. Would pocket carry be an option with it for you?

Otherwise maybe a cheap nylon holster or a prefab left handed Kydex rig (Fobus) would work.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

one of my iwb holsters is the galco skyops(i think thats what it's called)
    anyway it has one screw and i can switch from left to right or right to left.
    takes about a minute. use it for my g-27 sometimes.Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters
    Last edited by dr_cmg; January 30th, 2008 at 09:26 AM. Reason: Corrected the link.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    An immediate solution, if your holster is not an IWB, is to wear your right-handed holster on the left side, passing the belt through the loops and over the holster, so the holster is worn between the belt and pants. It is awkward if there is a thumb-break type of retention device, but an open-top holster should work OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    An immediate solution, if your holster is not an IWB, is to wear your right-handed holster on the left side, passing the belt through the loops and over the holster, so the holster is worn between the belt and pants. It is awkward if there is a thumb-break type of retention device, but an open-top holster should work OK.
    I actually tried this with my OWB holsters before I originally posted, and what happens is first it doesn't hold the gun anywhere near to your body, and second, it changes the geometry of the holster such that you can't put the gun out of the holster. Not to mention it prints like nobody's business.

Check out the Comp-Tac line. For about $60, you can get the paddle holster. I have one for my 1911 and carry it almost every day. I will at times switch out to another gun, but the 1911 in the Comp-tac gets the most road time.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Thumbs up

One of the best IWB holsters I have used is a Concealco, when purchased without the body shield it is truly ambi.
    AKJ Concealco LLC - Concealment gun holsters, personal defense related equipment, and other gunleather.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    I actually tried this with my OWB holsters before I originally posted, and what happens is first it doesn't hold the gun anywhere near to your body, and second, it changes the geometry of the holster such that you can't put the gun out of the holster. Not to mention it prints like nobody's business.
    This definitely varies with the holster and one's body, of course.

This guy (wrbusa.com) makes really nice ballistic nylon holsters that are ambidexterous = In pants holster. It would be an inexpensive alternative while your shoulder is healing.
    +1 I've seen these at local gun shows. Not your run-of-the-mill nylon. Very thin and structured.

rd
    "Little by little the look of the country changes because of the men we admire." Homer Bannon - Hud 1963
    Behind the Barn

go for an in expensive kydex holster. Had a problem similar a few years back, And have totally wet to what was my week side. Have rigs now for left or right but carry on the right most of time. In time test I'm about equal on speed. so that is a non issue.
    Jack dog

My most popular Appendix style IWB is my Minimal Clip with a zero degree drop.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    I did the same thing a while ago. I was in a sling for an extended period of time. I had velcro sewn into the inside of the sling and attached an Eagle holster to it. This was a holster that velcroed into one of their weapons packs. This set up allowed for a very fast left handed draw.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Hadn't thought about using a sling to conceal. I've got an appointment with the doc for a follow up, hopefully no surgery will be required,

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    It worked out really well. none of the sheeple would ever think that a sling would hold a bad arm and a pistol. The shoulder still tells me when the weather is going to change. Hope all works out well for you! I used to be a flight medic. We would joke that orthopedic surgeons are just carpenters that know of [I]two[I] different kinds of antibiotics. If any 'pods read this a) You know what I mean and b) if you are offended, lighten up.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links