Holster for Around the House...

This is a discussion on Holster for Around the House... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just got my HK USPc. I'm looking to purchase a holster to carry concealed around the house. I'm planning on moving out of state ...

Thread: Holster for Around the House...

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar

I just got my HK USPc. I'm looking to purchase a holster to carry concealed around the house. I'm planning on moving out of state after I graduate from school (in May).

I've read on here several times that custom leather is worth it for CCW, but is it worth it for me? Does anyone have any suggestions. I'm not sure if I'm more interested in kydex or leather...

Here's what I want / need.

I need to be able to carry the holster and mag carriers securely on my belt, however I have to be able to remove both of them without pulling the whole belt off (I'm a volunteer EMT, and often have to leave the house on short notice...IE when a pager goes off...)

I'm also looking for a horizontal carrier for my Surefire 6P, if anyone knows where I can find one.

THanks guys,

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

Assistant Administrator
    No specifics Jim re actual rig suggestions but - let me say that carry - is carry!!

Whether you can/can't/will/won't carry out of home - for me rig is exact same - no special rig ''just for house''.

So - I suggest you find something that suits the gun - lots of choices - and start using that. Comfort is a big plus always and even cant and so on is worth consideration. Something YOU like and find suits well.

Get it right and you'll be set for a long and happy partnership of metal and leather (or plastic!).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To add - the ''box of holsters'' will possibly become reality - it is hard to find the ideal straight off!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Fobus makes a nice cheap plastic OWB holster for just about every gun out there. Retention is good and the paddle holster slips on and off the belt easily. I don't think the concealment is all that great but should work good enough for around the house with a shirt pulled over it. Best thing is - if you decide it's not for you - you're only out $20.

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Chris.

Would love to carry, in fact I'm trying to figure out which states I can apply from out of stater and get permit for.

NJ has a CCW permit, but they are very very difficult to get. I talked about it in my post about my new pistols.

Although for the most part I wouldn't be able to carry anyway, work is on federal land, in a federal building, behind security. When I'm at school, I'm on and off campus so many times a day...and no weapons policy, combined with weapons on school grounds... :(

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

When you say "around the house" does it mean in YOUR home? I ask, because, like Joe mentioned, Fobus has the Paddle holsters. Also the Roto holster might be an option too. They're cheap, give you a decent cant to the weapon, and they will come right off when you need them to. They also make the mag carrier the same way..easy on/off. I tried one the other day, but it was to see how it felt. I was able to pull it over my shirt, but as I carried it around the shop, it seemed to become a bit heavier as I wore it. Just my own opinion though. .The Fobus might be the option for you, for "around the house" carry
    Desantis makes a good paddle-type holster.. check out E Bay..you'll be surprised

Lead Moderator
    My Fobus roto is a decent paddle holster. Bettter to find what works best for carry method before spending lots of dough for a rig ya may end up not liking. Another option may be a nylon IWB holster. You could even leave it on, just remove the pistol,and no one would notice it very well.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well all of the recommendations thus far are right on the money. Fobus/Uncle Mikes and the sort make inexpensive Paddles that are right up your ally.
    They will also give you a taste of what you like and dont like in a paddle holster....they work well most of the time, but not always.

You could get a clip style IWB also. Very easy on and off and very comfy.
    Just a thought .........Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Thumbs up

Jim
    You may want to check out Eric's site. He has a great selection of leather, and he'll make it the way you like. Top notch leather for a great pistol. Personally, I like the enclosed muzzle holsters, and no tthe exposed ones. When my shirt goes up, if I'm reaching for something, I don't want people to see what I'm carrying. (the exposed muzzle) For all they know, it (the enclosed muzzle holster) could be something else, in their mind, other than my CCW.. Just some sound advice, and food for thought.

Senior Moderator
    A word of caution about Fobus. I have a H&K USP, I have it on right now as a matter of fact, but not in a Fobus. I truely am a Fobus paddle fan. I like the holster cant, easy on easy off, fits the gun snuggly - usually, and is super fast to draw from.

BUT, my Fobus paddle for the H&K USP doesn't lay like my other Fobus holsters. It forces the grip in which is good, but it forces the muzzle outward which isn't good and it makes getting a proper grip on the holstered gun more difficult.

The only other Fobus paddle I've had trouble with is for the Sig 229R - it just does not fit the gun.

The holster I like for easy on easy off is a Fist #2 in Kydex. This holster is sown just like leather and can be quite strong with very thin Kydex because it's not open on one side like most Kydex holsters. It attaches via belt loops with snaps on each side of the holster. Not quite as fast on as a Fobus paddle, but it is faster off.

Check out Fist, Inc. website:
    http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/NUMBER.htm

Links