Satchel concealment?

Satchel concealment?

This is a discussion on Satchel concealment? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm think'n that with the hot days of summer just a few months away, and all the hassel it is to carry a full sized ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Satchel concealment?

Satchel concealment?

I'm think'n that with the hot days of summer just a few months away, and all the hassel it is to carry a full sized gun in hot weather, that I'll make myself a satchel. This item would be made from heavy leather with hard oakwood on the sides to help keep its shape. A strap inside (kinda like a slide holster)would keep the gun in the position I want. The shoulder strap would go over my head and the satchel would hang on my left side (I'm a righty) canted forward. The cover would be secured with a metal snap. With a bit of practice I'd be able to draw just about as quickly as when carrying on my right side under a heavy coat. Does this sound like a sensible solution to solving that hot weather carry delimna?

You mean a MAN PURSE! Actually, Coronado Leather has something very similar to what you're talking about. Pricey, but nice looking.

Coronado Leather, makers of handcrafted, concealment leatherwear for law enforcement and those interested in high quality leather jackets, handbags and carrycases for firearm concealment
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; February 2nd, 2008 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Added link.

Does this sound like a sensible solution to solving that hot weather carry delimna?
    Sounds like more to carry to me. Oak? Hum, i dunno. I think I'd take a look at Maxpedition before you go there.

Maxpedition Versipacks

Ti
    Train and train hard, you might not get a second chance to make a first impression!

I vote for Monica Lewinsky's Ex-Boyfriend's Wife for President.....Not!

A man-bag? Not for me. Besides the inevitable times when you are separate from your weapon, I just couldn't carry around a bag all day. I get along in the summer in a pair of shorts with a belt and a t-shirt, and my usual IWB holster.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I find that wearing cargo shorts and my normal IWB works fine for me.
    I have carried in a fanny pack as well as a sholder bag but only if I was also carrying my 35mm Camera as well in a seperate pocket or around my neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
    I'm think'n that with the hot days of summer just a few months away, and all the hassel it is to carry a full sized gun in hot weather, that I'll make myself a satchel. This item would be made from heavy leather with hard oakwood on the sides to help keep its shape. A strap inside (kinda like a slide holster)would keep the gun in the position I want. The shoulder strap would go over my head and the satchel would hang on my left side (I'm a righty) canted forward. The cover would be secured with a metal snap. With a bit of practice I'd be able to draw just about as quickly as when carrying on my right side under a heavy coat. Does this sound like a sensible solution to solving that hot weather carry delimna?
    If you get the 'man purse' you might want to change your handle from 'Dusty...to Princess'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Iwb works well, What is your weapon of choice. During summer I carry Iwb glock 27. At times I may carry my my keltec in a pocket holster. But one thing is for sure I always carry.
    Jack dog

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    I use a Safepacker from Thewilderness.com, and other than a compulsion to wear pink lacy underwear, I have noticed no behavioral changes. As for the hazards of off-body carry, well, I don't ever set it down, ever, except in a truly secured place, and I do carry smaller weapon(s) on my person to deal with a snatch attempt. BTW, I am not trying to derail any plans for making yourself a CCW satchel, just using the Safepacker to validate your idea. Leather will be classier than nylon, for sure.
    Last edited by Rexster; February 2nd, 2008 at 05:28 AM. Reason: grammar

In CA that may be fashionable but partner in the South that is a MAN-Purse!!! and you won't get far down main street of my town wearing such an item without getting some weird looks and comments!! I carry the same gun 12 months out of the year in the same manner, heat doesn't affect me at all as long as I select my cover garment correctly. For shorts and a T not much can beat a NAA Guardian in the front pocket!!
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If you get the 'man purse' you might want to change your handle from 'Dusty...to Princess'...
    Oh.....that's cold!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

What's your edc?

My K9 is a little on the heavy side for a compact 9 these days but I carry it IWB with shorts and a t-shirt.....and there are plenty that are smaller/lighter than that out there.

Or, if you don't mind dropping down a notch, there are a ton of small, light .380's you can drop in a pocket and forget about it. Heck, there are a couple of 9's that you can do that with if you want.....

But a man purse......?

It's a tough crowd, isn't it Dusty?!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in a grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."

Theodore Roosevelt

ruger just came out with a sweet lil 380.

The Ruger LCP™ - Lightweight Compact Pistol
    heck you could pocket carry this one.

I would think that all the "man-purse" concerns would actually work towards enhancing concealment. After all, everyone "knows" that any guy who carries a bag, certainly wouldn't carry a gun, right?!?!?!

Those concerns aside, you might consider a bag from maxpedition:
    Jumbo Versipack

Definitely of the shoulder bag persuasion (as opposed to purse) with water bottle storage.

There are some good reviews to be found online.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    "It's NOT a purse! It's EUROPEAN!"
    - Jerry Seinfeld
    Taggart Snyder
    Man about town...

Do people REALLY change their edc just because of the time of year? I carry a Commander sized 1911 every day rain or shine. I have a good IWB and OWB holster (both from Tucker Gunleather). In the summer shorts and a T-Shirt is all I need....invest in a GOOD IWB holster and you will be all set. And you won't have to carry a purse :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links