Which clip - J or C for MTAC holster?

Which clip - J or C for MTAC holster?

This is a discussion on Which clip - J or C for MTAC holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be carrying a small PF9 in an MTAC holster, and I'd like to find the best option to maintain stability and reduce visibility. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which clip - J or C for MTAC holster?

Arrow Which clip - J or C for MTAC holster?

I will be carrying a small PF9 in an MTAC holster, and I'd like to find the best option to maintain stability and reduce visibility. I use the old, wide Standard clips to carry my fullsize M&P40 and it's no problem. Since the PF9 is only about 18oz fully loaded, I figure I can get away with either the J-hooks or the C-clips.

What are the advantages of each? It seems like the C-clip can hold a little more weight. Which would you recommend?

Thanks.

Last edited by ShooterMcGavin; February 2nd, 2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: fixed the picture link

I opted for the "C". It puts the weight back onto the belt. It's relatively low profile and less noticable than the standard clip. I have considered painting my clips brown since I only wear brown belts.

Quote Originally Posted by takurpic View Post
    I opted for the "C". It puts the weight back onto the belt. It's relatively low profile and less noticable than the standard clip. I have considered painting my clips brown since I only wear brown belts.
    They now offer "chestnut" colored clips if the whole painting thing doesn't work out. Comp-Tac : Products

Senior Moderator
    I use the "C" clips for both my Comp-Tac holsters, and recommend them highly.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

I have the standard clips, c clips and j clips. Of the three the only ones I never use are the j clips. They put all the support on your pants instead of the belt and I found them unreliable. With the c clips you must have a good stiff belt or it will pop out of the clip. A good belt solves this tho.

I use the "new" standard clips that came with my MTAC. They are narrower and less visible than the "old" clip. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Final Option View Post
    I have the standard clips, c clips and j clips. Of the three the only ones I never use are the j clips. They put all the support on your pants instead of the belt and I found them unreliable. With the c clips you must have a good stiff belt or it will pop out of the clip. A good belt solves this tho.
    Good point on the "C" clip. Usually, I wear a belt from 511. Here's a link: 5.11 Tactical 1.5" Leather Casual Belt

I have two of the MTAC's and started with the C clips on the first one. Had a few issues with getting the fit right but overall okay. Ordered the second MTAC with the new narrower standard clips and I really prefer them. Easier to position and slip on and off.

The top part of rear clip always would pop behind my belt. J clips in my opinion are useless - tried them. Maybe if the waist band of the pants had a super stiff band. I opted for the V clips - total stealth and keeps the weight on the belt. jmo

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by b52ace View Post
    I use the "new" standard clips that came with my MTAC. They are narrower and less visible than the "old" clip. Very nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by JrHawk View Post
    I have two of the MTAC's and started with the C clips on the first one. Had a few issues with getting the fit right but overall okay. Ordered the second MTAC with the new narrower standard clips and I really prefer them. Easier to position and slip on and off.
    Agreed. I had a CTAC with standard (old fat type) clips & C clips. I sold the C clips, couldn't stand them.

I am borrowing a friend's MTAC this weekend to test it out. It had the new narrow standard clips. They are much better than the old ones. Thinner profile, stronger, easy on/off. If I end up getting an MTAC, that's the ones I'm going with.

If reducing visibility is a concern (I personally don't care if people see them, usually won't as I wear untucked shirts anyway) I'd go with the V clips.

i would get the belt clip and forget the holster. i use a belt clip on the p3at and p11. they work great. i also put the clip draw belt clip on my model 60. once you use a belt clip for carry it is hard to go back to a holster. now belt clips will not work with all guns but with the pf9 kel tec makes one that works well.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

C-Clips didn't work well for me. The top of the belt would come out after getting in/out of the car a few times.

Standard Clips have been fine.

i use the C clips and they work great
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

If you're going to tuck (and in some cases, even if you're not), V-Clips are without a doubt more stealthy than your other three options. Besides being stealthy, they are more secure than the J's or C's, and only marginally less secure than the standard clips. Get as wide a belt as you can and use V-Clips, and you'll be using your gear to its maximum concealment and secure potential.

Blues
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by frankmako View Post
    i would get the belt clip and forget the holster. i use a belt clip on the p3at and p11. they work great. i also put the clip draw belt clip on my model 60. once you use a belt clip for carry it is hard to go back to a holster. now belt clips will not work with all guns but with the pf9 kel tec makes one that works well.
    I have thought about it, but it does not allow tucking of the shirt. Also, I can't see the single clip being as stable as the MTAC holster.

I can see that the J-hooks are out of the question. For those who don't recommend the C-clips, were you carrying a gun that weighs under 20oz?? I won't carry a full-size anything with less than the standard clips. I was thinking I could get away with lesser clips when I'd be carrying a light gun.

The reason I want to be able to tuck is because I will be going to interviews in the future and hopefully starting a new job. At the new job, I want to be able to carry and I may tuck my shirt in some of the time.

I do wear a good gun belt now, made by theBeltman. Using V-clips would require me to have work done on my belt. I don't want the expense of that, or the extra thickness to the belt. As it is, the belt barely fits through my belt loops now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links