USP IWB Holster?

USP IWB Holster?

This is a discussion on USP IWB Holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello guys. I'm new here and I have a question about carrying a HK USP45. I want ot get a Blade-Tech IWB holster, but what ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USP IWB Holster?

USP IWB Holster?

Hello guys.

I'm new here and I have a question about carrying a HK USP45. I want ot get a Blade-Tech IWB holster, but what are your thoughts on carrying this particular gun in IWB? Any thoughts, any pics?

Thank you
    Justin
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Senior Moderator
    Justin,
    First, welcome to what I think is the best gun forum on the net.

I can carry a 1911 comfortably in an IWB because the 1911 is less than an inch wide, at least the part that goes inside the waistband. The USP is wider full size gun and hence takes up a little more room in the pants so you may find you'll have to have a size or so larger waistline pants to make room for the USP.

I'm beginning to sound like a commercial for Fist, but their holsters are top quality, duarable, and most important look good. I recommend a Fist, Inc. #19 IWB holster in Kydex. Fist IWB holsters are made and look just like leather holsters except the Kydex they use in their IWB holsters is super thin, 0.040 inches - that's right, way thinner than a 1/16 of an inch! So they take up a minimal amount of room inside the waistband. If you have a caliper, measure the thickness of your Blade-tech IWB; mine's about .105" thick which is over 2.5 times thicker than the Fist. It makes a difference.

Further, the belt loops that secure the holster to the belt are located off the holster body at the sides, which makes the thickness of the holster even less and the wider spacing adds significant stability against movement. Belt loops located on the body of the holster make the holster thicker.

I have several Fist IWB made their super thin Kydex and have mashed them flat in rool-over shooting drills. The Kydex comes right back to shape.

Assistant Administrator
    Justin - can't advise for that piece but - welcome anyways!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    compact or full size. I carry a full size in .40 IWB occasionally. I need a sweatshirt or thick shirt to conceal it but it can be hidden well. The USP is a thick gun to conceal, so I get pants a bit large in the waist .

A usp 45 fullsize is a think gun and deff needs heav gear to cover it ive carried mine a good amount but hard to conceal espically with the extended fllorplates on the mags oit can be done but will require a wardrobe change for sure

I was thinking about carrying it under a 5.11 Tactical jacket
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin
    I was thinking about carrying it under a 5.11 Tactical jacket
    If that's the case you may not need IWB. I carry my USP under a vest in an OWB.

I carry a USP compact both IWB and OWB. OWB is more comfortable, IWB conceals a bit easier. I use holsters by Matt Del Fatti - very high quality leather gear. He's busy, though, so it takes a long while for delivery.

Welcome to the forum - there are good folks here.

SSKC

only problem i see with vest is they scream ive got a gun .. im sure if i notice others abd bad guys do ..

im sure to bad guys they scream shoot me first shoot me first . Again just food for thought ive carried with a vest to so im not putting that down just not my fav way to carry.

If you are thinking IWB look for a cheep holser to get a ideal .

I have a don hume i use no where near as comfortable as ymydesantis but still let me know if i want to carry the Usp of not.

Course there are very fuw who make a Iwb holster for the usp .. If i was gonna plan to carry The usp all the time iwb i would Contact Gary brommland about one of his fine holsters

I found this on here. I'm also planning on getting a 5.11 Monterey Jacket to wear over it, should conceal it well?

Senior Moderator
    Justin,

But seeing is not wearing nor indicative of comfort or even tolerance. I have not found IWBs to be all that tolerable. I have to reiterate what SSKC said, "OWB is more comfortable, IWB conceals a bit easier." But the success of IWB varies from individual to individual. I can carry a 1911 in an IWB unless a lot of walking is involved and then the IWB begins to make an impression - literally.

I'll have to explore my options a bit more then

Justin,

You have probably heard this before, but just in case: make sure that whatever holster you choose is supported by a quality belt.

SSKC

Galco belts seem to be a good choice? Sorry for all the questions guys

Justin,

1. No need to apologize for asking questions. We're all here to learn.

2. I don't have any Galco's, but it is a reputable brand and I have a friend who likes his. Just stay away from belts that aren't designed to carry the load.

3. Another resource that may be of use to you since you're a fellow USP guy is hkpro.com. Check out the "HK Boards."

SSKC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links