What to do about the holster bulge - Page 2

What to do about the holster bulge

This is a discussion on What to do about the holster bulge within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Captain Crunch Methinks you worry too much! Yep! ...wear a bigger shirt, and quit worrying about it...no one notices anyway. Stay armed...the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Methinks you worry too much!
    Yep!
    ...wear a bigger shirt, and quit worrying about it...no one notices anyway.

Stay armed...the sheep don't know it, anyway...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree with the people who say not to worry. No one will ever notice a bulge.
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    This time of year I generally wear a fleece vest as part of the layers. It makes a nice cover up and is comfortable inside or outside. If you move that act a little closer to 3:00 you will hide a little better.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

I don't see anything unusual. If you're still worried about drawing attention, though, I agree with state6three8. Put the knife in your back pocket. I'd also ditch the tactical belt if you're going to tuck your shirt.

i don't see a problem. everybody is suggestion bigger clothing and whatnot... though some are suggesting that you worry less... i'm with the latter group.

1) Move rig to 3:00, maybe 3:30. That should eliminate the vast majority of what you're worried about.

2) As stated earlier, either move the knife or drop it fully into pocket. It attracts attention.

3) If you're going to go tucked, get rid of those standard clips and replace with V-Clips! Those clips and the leather loops on other IWB holsters defeats the potential for truly deep concealment that holsters like these are designed for in the first place. Like the knife, they draw attention to the area, and even if observers don't know what they're seeing, they will notice the bulge as they look at the clips/loops trying to figure out what they're for. V-Clips won't be 100% stealthy, but the standard clips are definitely 100% visible if you use the holster the way it was intended, that being tucked. You may have to replace that webbed belt with a leather one to affix Velcro to it, but that is without a doubt the stealthiest way to secure your holster to your waist-band, even if you're not going to tuck. Those clips will be visible if you drop your keys and bend over to pick them up. For $15 bucks or so for the V-Clips, there's no reason to compromise concealability.

4) And lastly, after you've done everything you possibly can to use your concealment equipment to its fullest potential, relax. As stated before, people are clueless generally-speaking, and your overt concerns about how well you're concealing will translate into noticeable body language that can be at least as much of a give-away as the bulge on your right side.

Blues
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

meh. nobody would notice
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Don't use the clip' drop the knife. What's the law in OR. I know concealed is concealed but we have an open carry law in MS. If you have your ccw permit. I worried about it alot at first, but now never. Nobody notices if they do, like everyone else said there carring to. I like the tactical advantage of 3:00 and a bulge then 4:30 where your arm naturally leaves your gun exposed and it's alot more work to get back there. In a tussel the further back the better chance you have of losing it. Keep it close.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I'm withQKSHOOTER. A "good" OWB holster is your best bet. I carry a G-27 OWB with no more cover-up than what you have. I would also move the rig closer to your hip. I think that you are carrying too far back. I like to tuck in right behind my strong side hip. I use either a Def Con or a Eagle Defender. Both are excellent holster's!!
    Tony

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I use a tuckable IWB holster with a single belt loop for my Kahr PM40. I've had to experiment to find the perfect spot for me, and found that while 3:30 is most conducive to eliminating the "bulge", 3:00 is more psychologically comfortable, due to being able to conceal/protect it with my right arm.

I typically tuck in the shirt, and then raise both arms high above my head and STRETCH to pull some shirt back out. Then I smooth it down around the waist. THAT does more to eliminate the bulge than anything else.

I also clip a horizontal cell phone holder right in front of the belt loop, so that the back of the holder covers the belt loop. I've also been known to snap a key ring through the belt loop, to disguise its function.

I also carry a G27 in a Brommeland Max con. I carry it at times ina Fobus ankle holster. You are worrying too much. Most people do not look that closely at you and a G27 is very small. I also carry a 1911 and a big ol ruger p85. Even if someone sees the bulge it would be construed as a cell phone. Most sheep don't expect people to be carrying a gun. I don't think I could carry tucked though because then the clips give you away.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

My wife and I were having this conversation about my 'bulge.'

She suggested I get a t-shirt that says,
    "Does this gun make my butt look big?"

She thinks she is sooo funny.
    Last edited by miklcolt45; February 3rd, 2008 at 01:32 PM. Reason: typo
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    ...suggested I get a t-shirt that says,
    "Does this gun make my butt look big?"
    :D

A few years back, I talked 2 non-shooting friends into going to the range with me. They came to my house first, so that I could do a safety talk first. Before they got there, I put on an OWB holster, with a 5" 1911, quite out in the open. We talked for about an hour about safe gun handling, and just general BS. I decided to familiarize them with a couple of the guns they would be shooting, so I drew the 1911. Neither one of them had realized I was wearing it, completely exposed on my right hip, for an hour.

I quit worrying about printing that day. Nobody's going to notice, and I'm not doing anything illegal anyway, so it really doesn't matter that much if someone did. Wear what's comfortable.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links