Kydex or Leather?

Kydex or Leather?

This is a discussion on Kydex or Leather? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK I am needing some impute from all of you. I am considering a Kydex holster, the Comp-Tac Settable Cant to be specific, for my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kydex or Leather?

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar

Kydex or Leather?

OK I am needing some impute from all of you. I am considering a Kydex holster, the Comp-Tac Settable Cant to be specific, for my Glock 37. I have never owned a Kydex holster and would like to know which you prefer, leather or kydex and list the reasons why.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Leather is all i prefer i have had kydex and didnt care for it

Bud
    Can you tell me what you did not like with the kydex and why the leather is better for you?
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Lead Moderator
    I use both. Leather has a better comort level for chafing, but kydex is thinner. I guess it all depends on what type of holster style for me. IWB I go with nylon or leather.

While I appreciate a good leather holster, I find myself going more and more to kydex/plastic holsters. Worn in the open for dress wear, a good Sig or 1911 look great in leather. For IDPA, or concealed carry, kydex all the way! Glocks------plastic gun, plastic holster, it just feels right.
    str1

Administrator

Comp-Tac

I have seen a Comp-Tac brand OWB holster though I've not seen that exact adj. cant model.
    The Kydex they use is nice and thin.
    CompTac seems to pull in to the body decently tight.
    Better than some Kydex holster makers out there.
    I just checked out some web photos of their adjustable cant holster & my educated guess is that you WILL need to also buy a very high quality 1.5" or 1.75" GUN BELT for that particular holster because it rides fairly high.
    You should be fine with a good stiff belt.
    That model might be a useful "first holster purchase" for you and your Glock especially if you are not sure yet what exact holster angle you'll eventually prefer carrying at.
    You honestly should not plunk down big dollars for a custom X-tra Nice (or custom) leather carry holster until you know what carry location or 0'-Clock position you'll prefer - or what degree of "cant" you'll feel most comfortable with.

HERE IS THE LINK TO THE COMP-TAC PRODUCT PAGE CLICK HERE
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

leather is a lot more comfortable to carry and easyer to concleal the gun ..

Leather is more flexable to it all really come dowsn oto personal preferance i tried kydex thining it would work and have 1 and problemy only one i will ever have

I had a comp-tac CTAC as my only good Kydex IWB, but I always go back to leather, even with my Glocks. I really wanted a kydex holster for my new G17, but ended up with a Kramer IWB #3.

Leather will form to the wearer somewhat and usually has a better (thicker) mouth for one-handed drills.

It really is a personal pref thing, but comfort brings me back to QUALITY leather holsters over and over again. If you buy a CTAC and never try a QUALITY leather holster, then you will not know what you are missing and will be happy most likely.

QKSHOOTER your thoughts mirror my own. I am new to concealed carry and I thought this would be a good way to figure out what I wanted without dumping a huge amount of money on something I may not like down the road. I don't feel that IWB will work for me with my current weapons so I am concentrating on OWB for now. Bud and the others thanks for sharing your ideas with me.
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

Senior Moderator
    Mike,
    I gotta lot of leather and Kydex holsters and I can't say that any of them work any better than the lowly Fobus paddle. The other holster I wear a lot is a Fist #2 quick on quick off. It's available in Kydex or leather and they look alike and are constructed alike, stitches and all, except the Kydex is much thinner and lighter.

I have some high dollar leather holsters and have noticed a couple of things about all of them. They tend to be really tight until they break in, they can get loose and not hold the gun as securely as they should, they have a relatively "draggy" draw, they squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak. And I've ruined a number of khaki pants because the black dye and polish on the holster rubs off on them. And did I mention that they squeak?

But, baffling as it is, I still love leather holsters, black of course, but I usually carry in a Kydex.

never understood a black leather holster why get one? Squeaking isnt a problem ive had either except on hunting rig in the cold .. must be luck of the draw

Administrator

Thumbs up mike_1

Good logical thinking.
    If you've read any past posts or threads you'll already know that I always carry in custom or VERY high quality leather.
    But, you really need to know exactly what you want before you order an expensive custom.
    Also...Here is a valuable link to a page on Matt Del Fatti's Web Site that might really help you out at this particular point in time. Check it out.
    CLICK HERE TO GO TO DEL FATTI LEATHER - DETERMINE HOLSTER RAKE

QK
    Once again thanks for sharing your ideas. I have seen the Del Fatti site. Lots of good info their. I think I am going to go with the Comp Tac for now and see how it works out. Now one last question for everyone. Do you see any difference in weapon finish wear between the Kydex and leather?
    Mike
    Thomas Jefferson

Lead Moderator
    I have noticed some wear on my Taurus PT from my Fobus kydex holster. This may or may not be as much of a problem with a diffrent holster gun combo. Also my PT doesn't ride in a leather holster.

Administrator

Look Forward To Weapon Wear

All holsters Kydex or Leather will eventually wear the highlights on nearly every handgun. KYDEX a bit sooner.
    Be Happy - Be Overjoyed...when your carry handgun starts showing serious, honest, holster wear.
    It will mean that you are doing your draw & presentation drills from your holster.
    You should be practicing your draw MANY MANY TIMES and at least every other day.
    Wear that "gun finish" right off & become an accomplished master at your draw & getting your handgun out on target.
    That may save your life some day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links