Magazines on your person

This is a discussion on Magazines on your person within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Wondering how any of you folks carry an extra magazine on your person. I will be attending a small IDPA seminar in April and really ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magazines on your person

Magazines on your person

Wondering how any of you folks carry an extra magazine on your person. I will be attending a small IDPA seminar in April and really have no idea how the extra mags are stored on a person. Apparently, I'm gonna need to know this and know how to get them in the gun while trotting around shooting paper bad guys.

Thanks!
    Michael
    In a crisis situation, you will not rise to the occasion but default to your level of training.

2. Remove Ads

My gun is at 3:00 IWB, my mags (2) are at 9:00 OWB.

If all I've got is my 442, my gun is at 1:30, my speed strips are one each strong side and weak side pockets.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Gun at 4:00, 2 mags OWB at 8:00
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Gun @ 3 o'clock, mags in a fobus paddle @11 o'clock. Be sure to read the rule book regarding construction via hight and angle of mag carriers for the particular competion you choose..

kpw
    Usually single or double mag pouch at 9:00. I like Comp-Tac's double pouch for fun & games and sometimes for carry. Comp-Tac

Great help! Thanks!

This could get fun, couldn't it.
    In a crisis situation, you will not rise to the occasion but default to your level of training.

Double angled mag pouch by Tucker @ 3:00
    Texas Citizens Defense League©

http://txcdl.org/

Gun IWB @3:00, single mag IWB @8:30

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I use a Fobus double mag paddle holder just behind the weak side hip. Mind you, this is what I use just for use IDPA; this would not be my choice for street carry. It's really your choice whether you want to equip for the game or for the training.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

I carry an extra mag most of the time. 8-8:30 like some have posted. Do it with my SIG P220-45, and my full size Glocks. I'll carry the full size mags when I'm carrying the sub compacts! IMO--the IDPA thing is good for anyone. I wish my schedule permitted it. I look forward to doing it in the future. From what I know, you should carry as many spares as allowed. With my SIG--I've went to the kydex mag carriers vs. the leather or horsehide. Good luck in your upcoming events! Even I'm excited for you!

*most* people have their gun around 3-4 oclock and their mag pouch with mag around 8-9 oclock.
    personally if i have one, i keep in it my left back pocket. i just havnt been able to carry a mag in a pouch on my side comfortably.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    I use a Fobus double mag paddle holder just behind the weak side hip. Mind you, this is what I use just for use IDPA; this would not be my choice for street carry. It's really your choice whether you want to equip for the game or for the training.
    From what I understand, this one day event is offered to us as a gift from the owner of a Personal Protection company in Michigan (he's a sponsor of one of our forums.) We will be on his range and using his facilities. He stated that we should come with everything we carry for street carry (plus about 500 rounds.) I don't usually carry extra mags EDC, so that's why I asked the original question. I'm certain it will be run like an IDPA stage (of which I know very little of other than what I have seen on Wednesday Night at the Range on the Outdoor Channel.)

All that being said, your responses have all been excellent! You folks sure know how to get someone interested in the next level!

After this, I might try a real IDPA event. Looks that they are the closest thing to a real life situation that I should be more ready for anyway.

Again, thanks for your help! Totally appreciated!

Michael

kpw
    Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    *most* people have their gun around 3-4 oclock and their mag pouch with mag around 8-9 oclock.
    personally if i have one, i keep in it my left back pocket. i just havnt been able to carry a mag in a pouch on my side comfortably.
    There are a few makers that sell horizontal mag pouches. You might want to give one of those a try.

He stated that we should come with everything we carry for street carry (plus about 500 rounds.) I don't usually carry extra mags EDC, so that's why I asked the original question. I'm certain it will be run like an IDPA stage
    You just might get the chance to see why you should carry an extra mag after that. Btw, the Comp-Tac pouches work well for street or competition.

Couple different options.

For my P3AT, A pocket mag holder.

For my primary, a light and mag holder at 8:30.

MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    I don't shoot competition, but as for magazine pouches, I prefer one that has a body shield for additional comfort. I note that few makers make them that way.

Best,
    Jerry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links