Does anyone use an auto-retention holster?

This is a discussion on Does anyone use an auto-retention holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Pro or cons from those in the know would be appreciated...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use an auto-retention holster?

Does anyone use an auto-retention holster?

Pro or cons from those in the know would be appreciated

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Never heard the term auto -retension before, but I use a Blackhawk Serpa holster . It has the push button release to draw the gun. I have not found any cons personally, but some concerns over debris locking the button up have been presented. Also , others claim it induces AD's due to the use of the trigger finger release.
    I see this as not true with my holster. My finger rests on the slide release naturally during the draw.
    Finally , I like the added security of the holster. It is plenty tough.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I use a bianchi carry lock and it is awsome.

tc
    I use a Bianchi carry lock as well with my Glock 26. The trigger guard is covered, no one can just grab my gun, and a quick sweep with my middle finger and I am ready to shoot.

I use the Blackhawk CQC with Serpa - active or autoretention. I love it. The only con was when I installed my Lasermax in my Glock, the slide release switch, which is a bit longer than the original Glock slide release, gets hung up when attempting to draw. So off came the Laser Max for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by tc View Post
    I use a Bianchi carry lock as well with my Glock 26. The trigger guard is covered, no one can just grab my gun, and a quick sweep with my middle finger and I am ready to shoot.
    Me too. I haven't had it very long, so I can't give a good review. It is not very easy for me to use it currently, as my hand is broken I wanted retention, without the standard thumb-break that everyone knows how to release. Also, I like the clean look of the standard-looking belt holster.

Administrator
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have and like the Blackhawk Serpa holster. Unfortunately, it is not really a good concealment holster unless you are wearing a coat; great range holster though.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I have and used a Blackhawk carbon fibre Serpa with the finger release. I carred a G23 in this holster for about 6 months while working as part of an Armored Truck crew. I loved it because I could draw quickly and "Most" other people (including co-workers) did not know how to release the gun. It is a good Duty or range holster, It is not a concealed carry holster.

I use a bianchi carry lock and it is awsome.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

I have CC'd for 11 years. The majority of the time it is a G23, and by far the best holster I have used is the Bianchi Carry Loc. The release lever is in such a way it easily depressed with a normal draw. I played with it in the store with a dummy Glock for about 30 min as I wanted to make sure NOTHING would interfere with my draw. I refuse to carry any holster that uses a thumb break for CC, for range time a thumb break is fine. I have been typing the praises of the Carry Loc on gun forums ever since I bought mine. I just wish they made it for the Sig P232.
    NCH
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

I have a Blackhawk Carbon Fiber SERPA for my XD-45. It's a fantastic holster but difficult to conceal sometimes. The paddle that it comes with has two adjustable belt hooks, and a third belt hook presumably for big military web-belts. That third hook makes removing the holster a real pain, so I filed it off and have had no complaints since. Most of the time, I use the belt loop base, which is also adjustable for belt width. My gun "clicks" home into the holster, and it is NOT going anywhere without depressing the release (yes, I've stood there shaking the holster up and down and side to side like a drunk bartender making a martini).
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

The paddle base on my Serpa holster cracked and was thrown away. I use the belt loop base now when I carry OWB. I like the holster, my natural draw motion with trigger finger indexed releases the lock. My dept. requires some sort of active retention feature on all off-duty holsters so I have just recently gotten my first IWB, a Desantis dual carry with a thumbbreak. I have no problem with thumbbreaks for CCW because concealed is concealed. The BG should not be aware you have a weapon until its drawn.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

I use the Bianchi Snap-Lock, which is the same as the Carry Lock except the whole rig snaps onto the belt, as opposed to threading the belt through a loop or two. I'm pretty surprised to see so many folks using 'em. I very rarely see anything, pro or con, about Bianchi and Galco products around here, and now I'm like the 7th or 8th one to sing Bianchi's praises. Cool.

I've got several holsters for the same gun I carry in the Snap-Lock. All of them have something to offer that the other ones don't. The Snap-Lock is the only one I own with mechanical retention, and I love it. The release of the device is smooth and natural as you perform your normal draw motion. Drawing with it is much faster than with the two thumb-break holsters I have for the same gun, and if it's any slower than the open-top, no-retention holsters I have, the difference is imperceptible to me. The only possible "con" I might assign to it is that it wouldn't be as forgiving as the open-tops if you were carrying with an untucked shirt and got a fist-full of material along with the gun when you drew. I could see that circumstance impeding working the mechanism correctly, but I can't see that kind of thing happening very often at all, especially not with someone who has carried, trained and practiced their draw for a long time.

I like, use and trust my auto-retention holster at least 50% of the time, probably quite a bit more actually. Obviously, I like it a lot.

Blues

*EDITED to add:

Here's a pretty compelling reason why I don't use the Serpa or rigs like it:

YouTube - Why you don't use a kydex paddle holster
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post

Here's a pretty compelling reason why I don't use the Serpa or rigs like it:

YouTube - Why you don't use a kydex paddle holster
    I'm sorry, but that's totally lame.

Let's see that again with the guy turning to his threat instead of standing there and making it possible to do that.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links