Subcompact XD9 holster

Subcompact XD9 holster

This is a discussion on Subcompact XD9 holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Forgive me as I am new here and haven't had a chance to read all the threads but a search didn't yield any results so ...

Thread: Subcompact XD9 holster

Subcompact XD9 holster

Forgive me as I am new here and haven't had a chance to read all the threads but a search didn't yield any results so I am posting a question.

Can anyone direct me to a type of holster that they like best for a subcompact XD9? Currently I am using an Uncle Mike's and it works but isn't as comfortable as I want it to be.

Also, can someone educate me in the Acromyns like IWB, etc? Forgive my ignorance but I guess everyone has to learn stuff at least once.

Thanks

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    IWB= inside the waistband
    OWB= outside the waistband
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

JT
    Quote Originally Posted by XD9
    Can anyone direct me to a type of holster that they like best for a subcompact XD9? Currently I am using an Uncle Mike's and it works but isn't as comfortable as I want it to be.
    For Kydex, I like Blade Tech or SideArmor. Youíll have a little wait on those since they build to order. I got a Blade Tech recently and it took 6 weeks. For leather I like Galco. I normally use an IWB strong side, back of my hip.

Unfortunately it often takes going through several holsters to find what works for you personally. I have a nice little pile of ones that didnít work to my liking. Luckily I figured it out before I started buying more expensive ones. Which brings up another point. Generally (but not always) you need to spend a little bit of money to get a good holster. $65-$100 range.

http://www.blade-tech.com/home.php
    http://www.sidearmor.com/
    http://www.usgalco.com/
    Blessed be the Lord my rock who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Ah, another XD lover on the board.

There's actually a lot of very good choices with the XD. For such a relatively new gun, it's got great market support.

I personally use a service sized XD40 and carry in a Fist model 17 I think it is. It's an IWB kydex holster with a fully adjustable cant and I personally love it. I've been meaning to evaluate this holster very informally. I might do that now.

Lead Moderator
    Much better selection of holsters than I had for my HK USP. As for the XD, it seems like a well thought out gun, I like em much better than Glocks.

Welcome to the board. You can find lots of XD specific advice HERE

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well LOTS of makers on this and many other boards make what you are looking for. Just look around and talk to them if you need to. See what styles are close to what you need and go from there.........Shoot well.
    Last edited by Eric Larsen; September 1st, 2005 at 10:20 AM.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

i have a don hume for mine not to bad but not the best i have a cozy partner for my 1911's and it is most comfortable holster i have i would think it would be great for xd

If you like Kydex, another good maker is Comp-Tac http://www.comp-tac.com/ They make a good selection and they usually ship within a day or two. I have their Shirt Tucker and a CTAC and I like them both.

Quote Originally Posted by uudl
    If you like Kydex, another good maker is Comp-Tac http://www.comp-tac.com/ They make a good selection and they usually ship within a day or two. I have their Shirt Tucker and a CTAC and I like them both.
    Speaking of which, I am selling my CTAC that I had purchased for my XD40 Service. $50 plus shipping, if you're interested.

Howdy and welcome!
    For a general purpose defensive concealment holster, it is really hard to beat a good leather IWB. It is very versatile in terms of the clothing options that it will allow you, and will provide the highest level of concealment. This is a serious consideration (concealment) because it allows you the element of suprise in a defensive situation. It can easily spell the difference between surviving and getting killed.
    A lot of folks like the current generation of "plastic" holsters and some of them are pretty good. However, the purpose of a concealment holster is to act as the "interface" between a block of steel and your body. A quality leather holster will not only be molded to fit the weapon, but over time it will also soften up a bit and take the shape of your body. This will make it much more comfortable for long term wear. When it's comfortable, you'll tend to wear it. If it hurts you, you'll tend to leave it in your glove box.
    Always remember rule #1 about gunfighting: Have a gun. Otherwise it's just a homicide, and you'll be the guy with a chalk line around you.
    Please feel free to post any other questions that you might have, or call my shop 423.733.1779. Whether you decide to order a holster or not, part of what I do is help new guys learn the ropes. Most shooters have a "holster graveyard" stuck in a box in the back of their closet. Many guys have spent hundreds or even thousands of dollars on holsters trying stuff that does not work for them. If you call any of the makers here on this board, I'm sure that they will be happy to help you avoid some of the mistakes that newbies tend to make. Good luck!

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well said and AMEN!
    Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

I have carry an XD9 service and have found the Ctac to work very well. I also use High Noon Hidden Alley which is leather.. Both are comfortable. Once you find the right spot, which will take a litte trial and error.

Links