CCW for my Daughter?

This is a discussion on CCW for my Daughter? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My daughter works in a high crime area and has decided to get a CCL and start carrying. It's against corporate policy (of course) but ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CCW for my Daughter?

Question CCW for my Daughter?

My daughter works in a high crime area and has decided to get a CCL and start carrying. It's against corporate policy (of course) but her boss has no problem with her carrying on the job. In fact, she has thought about doing it herself.

My daughters job involves a lot of bending and lifting in a small warehouse so whatever she carries has to be easily concealed and also not be a problem with her bending and lifting.

Any suggestions as to holsters /carry positions that might work? I don't like the idea of an ankle holster as it would put her in a bad defensive postion in order to draw her weapon.

Suggestions as always are appreciated!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

2. Remove Ads

Assuming she is wearing pants, front pocket carry with a j frame or small auto. Definitely stays concealed, but easily accessed.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by CEW58 View Post
    My daughter works in a high crime area and has decided to get a CCL and start carrying. It's against corporate policy (of course) but her boss has no problem with her carrying on the job. In fact, she has thought about doing it herself.

My daughters job involves a lot of bending and lifting in a small warehouse so whatever she carries has to be easily concealed and also not be a problem with her bending and lifting.

Any suggestions as to holsters /carry positions that might work? I don't like the idea of an ankle holster as it would put her in a bad defensive postion in order to draw her weapon.

Suggestions as always are appreciated!
    Does she know yet what she is going to be carrying?

Depending on the weight and size of the gun she has MANY options available to her.

If it's a small .38 or a pocket .380 she could carry in a deep pocket, if it's larger she might need to look at IWB or something like that.

Has she decided on a gun?

Quote Originally Posted by FIS0008 View Post
    Assuming she is wearing pants, front pocket carry with a j frame or small auto. Definitely stays concealed, but easily accessed.

She typically wears nice jeans. I'm wondering if front pocket night be a problem when she's bending or lifting? Would a good pocket holster keep it from digging into her leg while bending?
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

With all the movement and bending, it sounds like IWB, OWB or ankle holster carry would be rough to ensure concealment all day long. In that situation, I (a male) would probably lean toward front pocket carry. With baggier, comfortable pants in a warehouse environment, it can be highly concealable. For a woman's curves, depends on whether the given holster/gun works with the selected pants.

Could consider a small 9mm semi-auto, such as a Walther PPS 9mm, a KelTec PF9 9mm or a Kahr PM9 9mm, which are about the size of a snubbie revolver, give or take. With an excellent pocket holster, any of these could conceal fairly well in a pocket. Each is relatively thin, not having the cylinder of a revolver to deal with.

I carried for ~10yrs in the front pocket. It was a S&W 442 Airweight .38 revolver in a Pocket Softy holster by Mitch Rosen. Concealed well and went nearly everywhere with me. Each of the above semi-auto options would be a bit slimmer in the pocket.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    SmartCarry has a lot to recommend it. I use a home-brew version, and find it quite comfortable. Check out this recent thread in which friesepferd kindly provided a lot of photos and commentary: http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...w-females.html

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Does she know yet what she is going to be carrying?

Depending on the weight and size of the gun she has MANY options available to her.

If it's a small .38 or a pocket .380 she could carry in a deep pocket, if it's larger she might need to look at IWB or something like that.

Has she decided on a gun?
    Not yet. I'll be taking her out shopping next week. I was thinking one of the small Kahr 9mm autos or maybe a small S&W revolver might be about right.

Do you think she could do IWB with all the bending and lifting?

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Sponsor
    Give the Kahr PM9 a hard look, very flat, controllable, effective chambering. Also good trigger, and DAO simple, no levers or safeties, pull the trigger and BANG!!

Have her loosen those jeans a bit and consider a good IWB or front pocket carry with something like the Desantis Superfly or a Mika's pocket holster.
    Mark Craighead
    Owner/Founder
    CrossBreed Holsters LLC
    http://www.crossbreedholsters.com

I jsut got my Smartcarry in the mail today. I'm surprised at how well it works and how comfortable it is. I'll still use my Crossbreed holster under my bib overalls but the smart carry will also work under them and under regular clothes. It's also got a slot for an extra magazine.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    +1 on pocket carry or Smart Carry. I have both the Smart Carry & a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster for my SW 442. I would also suggest her trying appendix carry (approx 1-2:00) with a short barrel handgun. I use a High Noon Mr Softy, it's about $25 & in stock.

SmartCarry

Desantis Nemesis (can get it cheaper at Midway USA and multiple other online sites)

High Noon holsters

Quote Originally Posted by ridurall View Post
    I jsut got my Smartcarry in the mail today. I'm surprised at how well it works and how comfortable it is. I'll still use my Crossbreed holster under my bib overalls but the smart carry will also work under them and under regular clothes. It's also got a slot for an extra magazine.
    I've send my daughter the links to Smartcarry and to this forum. The Smartcarry looks like it might be exactly what shes looking for.

We hope to go gun shopping at my favorite gun shop next week and get her on the list for the next CCL Class. (The guy who owns the shop also gives the CCL Class.) One stop shopping!

Once she decides on her first CCW we'll get her holster ordered.
    Last edited by CEW58; February 7th, 2008 at 06:32 PM.

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

well good luck in you're quest and an early welcome to her in a
    good choice to protect herself.(and family and friends).
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I have found the Kahr PM 9 to be a great gun for IWB carry and I have found an all new love for carry that way. My wife has a Kel-tec P3at that she got the pocket clip for and carries it in her front pocket w/o a holster in jeans and with anyother type of paints she uses a Desantis pocket holster.

I do prefur my Glock 23 and 27 on my ankle over IWB as they are thicker then the PM9.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuglyXJ View Post
    I have found the Kahr PM 9 to be a great gun for IWB carry and I have found an all new love for carry that way. My wife has a Kel-tec P3at that she got the pocket clip for and carries it in her front pocket w/o a holster in jeans and with anyother type of paints she uses a Desantis pocket holster.

I do prefur my Glock 23 and 27 on my ankle over IWB as they are thicker then the PM9.
    I also think a Kahr would be a great carry gun for her, but I'll have to wait and see till we get to the gun shop. She has pretty small hands, even for a woman, so we'll have to see what fits her.

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

VIP Member
    Ruger's new .380 in a SmartCarry would be very hard to beat!

The Ruger LCP™ - Lightweight Compact Pistol

Oh yeah, don't forget the CorBon DPX ammo!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links