Ideas Needed

This is a discussion on Ideas Needed within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, i just got my CCW a few weeks ago. I'm wanting to carry my Ruger p95 on occasion. Any holster that goes on ...

Thread: Ideas Needed

Ideas Needed

Hi all, i just got my CCW a few weeks ago. I'm wanting to carry my Ruger p95 on occasion. Any holster that goes on the belt is out of the question, since the p95 is a little large. I'm thinking about sewing a pocket into the inside of my jacket. Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    A 3 slot pancake holster should work well with a cover garment. many of us carry full sized pistols. I carry a HK USP f for winter carry. I don't think your P95 is any larger.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I'm thinkin' a sewn in pocket won't work very well and I'd look for an IWB holster. I have carried a full sized SIG IWB and now carry a Commander sized 1911... no problem at all. Just a thought.

By the way, welcome aboard!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

ok, thanks guys. Ill look into those.

Administrator
    I think that you'll find that sewing a pocket into any lightweight jacket might turn out to be somewhat of a disappointment.

Might work out OK with a well fitting leather jacket that has some body to it.

If you're going to be wearing a jacket anyway then you could opt for a shoulder rig.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Try wearing your P95 in a jacket pocket at home for an hour or two and you'll see it is a less than ideal platform to support the weight of your pistol. A P95 is really not that bad to carry OWB. I know a guy that actually uses a cross draw rig to conceal his P95, and he gets away with it just fine. A lot of it has to do with the way you dress. You might try IWB if you're really unsure about OWB holsters for the Ruger, or possibly a shoulder rig (put a lot of thought into your draw stroke and muzzle direction if you go with that option).
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Yeah, I've tried carrying it in the outside jacket pocket. your right, it is really kinda saggy and off balance. Would a kydex IWB holster be a bad idea? Just wondering because I've been playing around with kydex knife sheaths lately, and I was thinking about stepping up to holsters.

Dan I carry a Springfield XD .40 cal 4" service model in a IWB Holster made by CrossBreed. It a Super Tuck Deluxe. It works well at concealing a large framed gun by holding it close to my body.

I also have a Ruger P95DC 9mm. Great gun, but I don't carry it as my primary weapon.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dan5505 View Post
    ... Would a kydex IWB holster be a bad idea? Just wondering because I've been playing around with kydex knife sheaths lately, and I was thinking about stepping up to holsters.
    I say if you like kydex, go for it. There are a lot of good kydex holsters out there, from Blade-Tech to CrossBreed or Comp-Tac. All of them will work fine. It all comes down to personal preference in the end, and what you trust to work the best for you and your situation. I will say that a thin kydex holster is a lot cheaper than a strong, thin leather holster. Try one out if you can, and see if it's gonna be comfortable.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

I suggest a VM2.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I think I am going to make a kydex IWB holster and see how it works out. Ill post pics when i get it done.

+ 1 on the crossbreed , you'll never know you have it on......

I like that design, is the kydex mounted to leather?

Black Leather

Quote Originally Posted by dan5505 View Post
    I like that design, is the kydex mounted to leather?
    Yes the Kydex is mounted to leather. Mine is finished in black.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ferrerid=19136

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!

BENJAMIN FRANKLIN

Jacket pocket = NO!...except for a quick trip somewhere, i.e., grocery store, down the street, etc.
    A good holster is the ONLY way to fly...look around and plan on a few tries before you find the one that works for you.

Stay armed...use a good holster...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links