Carry fatigue

This is a discussion on Carry fatigue within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, I am official. I use real holsters (MaxCon V and MTAC) and my Beltman belt arrived yesterday (REAL nice). While I was waiting on ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carry fatigue

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Carry fatigue

Well, I am official. I use real holsters (MaxCon V and MTAC) and my Beltman belt arrived yesterday (REAL nice).

While I was waiting on my belt, I was carrying a Glock 27 (subcompact) in the MTAC with a Wilderness tactical belt at about 4-4:30. (That seems to be my sweet spot.) Since my shirt always covered the belt, it was a non-issue.

What I did notice is that carrying was just fatiguing. My back started to hurt and at the end of the day when I took off the gun my body just went "Whoa. Thank you for taking that off."

I have been carrying consistently for over a month now. I would have thought that I would have adjusted to this by now. Is this common? Do I need more time to adjust? Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

I use to feel that same way back when I was using a cheap walmart belt, but ever since I got my beltman belt, I no longer feel that discomfort at the end of the day. The g27 isn't all that heavy so I would try your new beltman belt and maybe move the holster around a bit until you find that sweet spot. Give it another month with the new belt and see how it goes. Finding the right holster, belt, carrying position combination takes a while, but once you get it right you could wear that thing all day and not realize you even have it on. Good luck.

Senior Moderator
    It may be that there is enough weight there that it is actually pulling your spine out of alignment a bit. When that happens, the body tries to compensate for that, and it knocks your whole skeletal,muscular system out of whack.

Sine your muscles are trying to compensate, it tires them out and by the end of the day you are wore out.

Either try a different carry rig or try to balance out the weight by carrying a couple of loaded magazines, cell phone, pager whatever you carry on the opposite side of your gun. It may take a bit of experimentation, and you may even have to change up your equipment or mode of carry, but it will be well worth the effort when you get it figured out.

You owe it to yourself to get it right.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    You might try minor adjustments on placement. I know if I place my gun back about 1/2 inch from normal it seems to press on a nerve and my back will be breaking by the end of the day.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Maybe a dumb question, but if you remove the gun and continue to wear the holster does your back still hurt? Sometimes the holster presses against some part of the body that aggravates the back. Of course the weight of the gun would aggravate it still more.
    Do you carry a spare magazine?

You might try a lighter gun, maybe carry with the gun unloaded and no magazine in it when at home. While not really heavy the G26/27 is not a feather weight either.

Best,
    Jerry

I carry a double mag pouch in the same location off-side with a steel 1911. The balance does help, and I wear all day with no problems.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
    Maybe a dumb question, but if you remove the gun and continue to wear the holster does your back still hurt? Sometimes the holster presses against some part of the body that aggravates the back. Of course the weight of the gun would aggravate it still more.
    Do you carry a spare magazine?

You might try a lighter gun, maybe carry with the gun unloaded and no magazine in it when at home. While not really heavy the G26/27 is not a feather weight either.

Best,
    Jerry
    With just the holster, I have no problem. Even though the gun is like two pounds, it does seem to torque me out of shape.

What I discovered as I was experimenting with placement, was as I wore it during the day, the holster seemed to shift to my natural sweet spot at around 4-4:30. It is fairly comfortable there, but still, at the end of the day, it is a relief to take it off.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

There's no doubt your beltman will help enormously. Your gunbelt is meant to carry the weight. One problem could be that you haven't logged enough hours with your holster. If your holster is a little stiff and made really well, which I know it is, it will take significant breakin time. When your holster actually conforms to your body like a glove, which it eventually will do, you will barely notice it is there. If this doesn't do the trick it may be a good idea to rethink the size of gun you will carry. Or the carry position that works best for you. I hope you can get this to work for you it looks like a fine carry rig. Deron.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting..."have a gun""

+1 on the real belt will help. As was said before, balance the weight with something on the other side, it does make a difference. For me a cell and surefire, plus spare mag when I have an auto.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Lots of good suggestions so far, so I won't bother repeating them. One thing that might also help is a pair of Perry suspenders. They hook onto your belt, not the pants. I can get them here locally at Wal Mart. I'm sure other places have them. In fact, here's a store locator.

Welcome to the Perry Suspenders eStore

Here's their suspenders. I sometimes use the "original" Perry suspenders. They really help take a lot of the weight off of your belt. Give em a try. I think mine were about $7-8.

(the pics are clickable to enlarge them)
    Perry Suspenders

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Do reverse crunches in order to strengthen your back muscles.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Senior Moderator
    Make sure your belt is not too tight.

Some people feel that when they put an IWB belt on they should be able to wear their belt on the same notch as when they are carrying nothing IWB. They suck it in and tighten their belt so much that when they relax the gun, holster, and even the belt and digging in and making for a VERY uncomfortable carrying experience.

It can make everything hurt, your back, your butt, your kidneys, your sides, even your stomach (I know, I've been there).

Instead, tighten your belt just enough to be comfortable, if it doesn't hold your gun as closely to your body as you would like, try moving your holster around, NOT tightening your belt.

It can take a little while to find rigs, positions, clothing and options that are comfortable for all day, everyday carry, but keep working at it.

MANY people do it every day and remain comfortable.

And on a side note.. I hate my Wilderness belt. It was far too rigid, and very uncomfortable for me. I have lower riding pants and larger hips (duh, I'm a woman) and the belt was so rigid it dug into my hips something fierce while pulling on my pants making them awkward and uncomfortable. Add a three pound gun into the mix and it was not pleasant. I wore it a grand total of three times and since then it has remained in my closet. I may try it again with different outfits, holsters, what have you, but for now it is not my standard belt.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Make sure your belt is not too tight.

Some people feel that when they put an IWB belt on they should be able to wear their belt on the same notch as when they are carrying nothing IWB. They suck it in and tighten their belt so much that when they relax the gun, holster, and even the belt and digging in and making for a VERY uncomfortable carrying experience.

It can make everything hurt, your back, your butt, your kidneys, your sides, even your stomach (I know, I've been there).

Instead, tighten your belt just enough to be comfortable, if it doesn't hold your gun as closely to your body as you would like, try moving your holster around, NOT tightening your belt.

It can take a little while to find rigs, positions, clothing and options that are comfortable for all day, everyday carry, but keep working at it.

MANY people do it every day and remain comfortable.

And on a side note.. I hate my Wilderness belt. It was far too rigid, and very uncomfortable for me. I have lower riding pants and larger hips (duh, I'm a woman) and the belt was so rigid it dug into my hips something fierce while pulling on my pants making them awkward and uncomfortable. Add a three pound gun into the mix and it was not pleasant. I wore it a grand total of three times and since then it has remained in my closet. I may try it again with different outfits, holsters, what have you, but for now it is not my standard belt.
    What belt are you using now?

Agreed about the belt being too tight.

I should've added that another good thing about the Perry supenders is that you can loosen your belt up a little more than usual since the suspenders take off a lot of the weight of the carry rig.
    Last edited by bluelineman; February 10th, 2008 at 05:30 PM. Reason: speeling?!

If the belt is too loose it can cause problems too. Suspenders and a belt I could see myself using once I have a gut and gray hair. Until then I don't think I could pull them off. I suggest carrying a couple mags on your weak side. Moving the gun up from 4-4:30 to around 3 will help with long wearing comfort in my experience.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    If the belt is too loose it can cause problems too. Suspenders and a belt I could see myself using once I have a gut and gray hair. Until then I don't think I could pull them off. I suggest carrying a couple mags on your weak side. Moving the gun up from 4-4:30 to around 3 will help with long wearing comfort in my experience.

Austin
    I'm not old & don't have much of a gut.

BTW, I wear the suspenders over a t shirt but under my outer shirt. I couldn't pull it off either at this age.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links