1st holster input (with pics)

This is a discussion on 1st holster input (with pics) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Forgot to mention...I find that a button up shirt (untucked) over a t shirt works very well for concealment. Better than t shirts alone....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1st holster input (with pics)

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Forgot to mention...I find that a button up shirt (untucked) over a t shirt works very well for concealment. Better than t shirts alone.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    Forgot to mention...I find that a button up shirt (untucked) over a t shirt works very well for concealment. Better than t shirts alone.
    Well then I guess I'll have to get a few more polo shirts...the girlfriend certainly would appreciate that.

Right now I'm looking towards K&D's Dakota Defender for the XD40. Perhaps I will also get a pocket gun and holster later on.

1 more question for the time being, what has been everyone's impression with K&D's belts? They are reasonably priced and if I am going to order both I may as well do it from the same company instead of the beltman. There isn't much on the forums about the belts. Any reason as to that?

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I don't know much about K&D belts. Many people like the Beltman, Wilderness Instructors belts, etc. I have a Wilderness & it works well for me. My next belt will be a Beltman in horsehide. Rafter S also makes a good gun belt, double thickness leather. A friend bought one at a local gun show from them. Good people, good product, only $50. Rafter S Gun Belts

A button up shirt will work better (IMO) than a polo type shirt.

Jim (The Beltman) makes a great IWB holster for the XD. I have one for a 5 inch 1911 and it conceals very well and is very comfortable. Costs around $80 and well worth it. He might cut you a deal on a belt holster combo, can't hurt to ask

Beltman pics??

Gunney can you post a pic of the Beltman holster I dont believe I've seen one before?

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    I would not advocate carrying that far back, almost SOB carry. It makes getting the weapon slow, could cause injury if you fell backwards & a BG could spot it & you'd never know because you can't see back there. .........................
    Opinions vary, this is just what I've observed. I'm sure some will disagree. After all, there is no one way that works best for all of us. I hope this helps.
    I am in the last category so wanted to present a different perspective. I am short and lean with a proportionally long torso and arms. For me on the hip is just plain uncomfortable and cumbersome. It also tends to make me look lop sided and prints even under a flannel or light coat. The straight draw up and forward swing to COM is very slow & awkward for me especially under a shirt or even an unbuttoned flannel. Appendix carry is out of the question as the muzzle digs into my leg, especially sitting and i appear to have advanced cirrhosis of the liver with the bulge my XD creates. Both seem to require lots of fumbling to get under the shirt.
    I carry at about 5:00 / 5:30 in a K&D (adjustable cant IWB ) Maverick Defender. I set the cant at about 50 degrees which puts the muzzle just off of my spine and the grip over my kidney area, the gun disappears even under a light T-shirt. For me it is ideally comfortable. That angle puts the grip at a natural point of draw. I reach back using the same motion as when I take out my wallet (decades of muscle memory) naturally gets my hand under my shirt the grip slides into my hand and allows me to make a smooth single motion draw from holster to COM. With the holster in that position I can drive for hours comfortably and draw seat-belted in a car or from a chair by simply leaning forward slightly. Running jumping doing whatever the gun always feels secure and stable, more a function of a quality holster than where it is worn.
    I agree that we are all different. Body type, life style, type of gun and holster all play a part in what is the best spot to carry for each of us. We have to figure out what works best for us individually.

gicts to answer the K&D belts question I have one on order in shark (if he will do it) from pics I have seen the belts are equal in quality to his holsters. Will post pics when I get mine. I think you will do well with a Dakota which is what I have on order for summer wear as it is a bit thinner than the Maverick Defender I have now. I see no reason why it will not conceal my XD under a T shirt perfectly. If you do wear a cover shirt try an unbuttoned button down shirt rather than a polo. I wear flannels & Pendeltons over T's for that in the fall winter months. Baggy T's in the summer.
    Last edited by LongRider; February 13th, 2008 at 02:18 PM. Reason: add belt comment
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I have not figured out the whole camera thing yet, sorry. The holster looks a lot like a Milt Sparks IWB. Jim does not broadcast the fact that he makes holsters, but they are all that I will use.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links