Pregnant Carry

Pregnant Carry

This is a discussion on Pregnant Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions on carrying while pregnant - especially towards the end of the pregnance? There are definately some problems with the conventional carry ...

Thread: Pregnant Carry

Pregnant Carry

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions on carrying while pregnant - especially towards the end of the pregnance? There are definately some problems with the conventional carry methods (no belts for example). I have some ideas, but wanted to get some ideas from this crowd.

Thanks.

Joe

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Yep....a CCW purse would work very well. ANY ON THE BODY carry will be a real pain after a while, especially as late as your talking about. Just my suggestion..Im sure many minds superior to mine will have other ideas.
    Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Lead Moderator
    may be a shoulder rig, or shirt holster as well as a purse carry. Never thought about it as I will never need to consider for me.

Assistant Administrator
    Well - never having been pregnant!

I do think that as ''bump'' is out front, that a lot of options go out the window - naturally! If however a belt of some sort, even riding high, is tenable, then an OWB rig and medium size gun could work.... obviously tho this ain't gonna work near full term.

Probably a purse approach is about all that can work - tho indeed, the right sho rig and gun could well do nicely. Ankle rig is out cos I imagine reaching down there would be hell!

Can't help wondering too - depending on mammary proportions - whether a ''bra rig'' could work too, with something wee little like P32. Not explored that option but - necessity - is the mother of invention eh!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Yeah, it's a first for me too!

The bra idea is brilliant! Might work for some guys I know too...

The purse may be the only viable option. I don't like it so much because it's off-body and is a prime target for theft. But it's better than no-carry. The mouse-gun approach could work too.

XD9
    A bra holster. That is a seriously good idea. There is plenty of fabric under the arm to rig a holster for a small gun. And because it is so form-fitting, it could easily be worn under the shirt without a jacket over it.

Who has the sewing machine ready to go. I would do it but I am busy calling the patent office right now.
    There are 2 sounds in the world that strike more fear than any others. A click when you should hear a bang and a bang when you should hear a click.

Well, summer is closing down, and the cooler weather will allow for the "big-n-furry Mommy coats". A roll of dimes or pennies for weight, and a good pocket holster. That does depend on how much longer you have, though.....

If it won't be that long, a couple of mouse-guns can hide anywhere. Are you familiar with www.hideawayknife.com ? F/S (FrontSight) , the lady running the show, has some innovate blades, and carry options (which could be adapted for a Keltec, NAA, etc..)

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Sorry, nobody asked but since your name is JOE you're not asking about yourself are you??

I know everybody hates them and the theory says they "scream" gun. But a fanny pack off to the side would be great. I use one when I ride my bike and it's comfortable and secure. And it's on the body.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Quote Originally Posted by cjm5874
    Sorry, nobody asked but since your name is JOE you're not asking about yourself are you??

I know everybody hates them and the theory says they "scream" gun. But a fanny pack off to the side would be great. I use one when I ride my bike and it's comfortable and secure. And it's on the body.
    Hey now, there are women named Joe... what are you implying?

Yeah, I'm asking for my wife. She is two months pregnant with our second child. Neither of us carried when she was pregnant with our first so it's a new problem for us. It's not much of a problem now, but as she gets bigger, it will become very difficult (and uncomfortable). I thought about a fanny pack but I'm not sure if you can strap a fanny pack to a pregnant belly? Something worth experimenting with for sure...

The fanny pack rides the hips and not the belly, alot like the older guys who have had the same pant size for 20 years while their gut grows and grows. Honestly though, I love my fanny pack and nobody ever asked me if there was a gun in there. I do recommend getting one that is a bit colorful though, not the BDU black one. They do make some nice ones in leather. Also, a small IWB strong side should work well, especially with maternity clothes. Best part is once the baby is born you can put a rifle rack on the side of the stroller for the 870!! Best of luck with the baby.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

A fanny pack would be hard to wear with a big belly and off to the side would put put pressure on the spine from undistributed weight...even 2 pounds is a lot when you're trying to compensate for front-heaviness.
    Ankle holster is out....I was lucky to see my ankles let alone touch them.
    Although I didn't carry when I was pregnant (23+ years ago)...having been pregnant, I would think that a shoulder rig would be most comfortable. And don't forget when she's in a vehicle the gun has to be holstered and in plain sight.....good ol' Ohio.
    JMHO.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cjm5874
    ...and nobody ever asked me if there was a gun in there. I do recommend getting one that is a bit colorful though, not the BDU black one...
    I kinda think the fanny pack and vest type over garment screaming gun is a bit over done. Sure if I see these I wonder, but I'm a gun guy person. I see lot's and lot's of these things on people and I know they don't have a gun.

But, I suppose BGs may be very aware that GGs carry guns in fanny packs and under over garments, etc. and that could make us a shoot-me-first pick. But I still feel pretty comfortable, make that comforted, carrying under a vest or open, unbuttoned short sleeve shirt.

But, I don't understand about the color thing. What's wrong with tactical black?

VIP Member
    Luckily this is not something I have to think about until a few years from now. The problem has crossed my mind, however, and I decided a purse carry would probably work the best, and then a shoulder rig under a jacket for cooler months. Coronado leather also makes some nice leather carry jackets.

Maybe, just maybe, a longer, looser fitting bellyband would work (I use a bellyband now), depending if I carry high or low - the baby, that is. The women in my family carried high and didn't look so big, so maybe I'll be spared from looking like I'm having a baby elephant.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

My whole point about a jet black fanny pack was if you are of the opinion that fanny packs scream gun, black is bad. Just like the anti's have issues with black guns.

Senior Moderator
    But black is the only color that goes well with my black BDUs and black boots.

Links