Shoulder Rig Review - $8 amazon.com holster :p

This is a discussion on Shoulder Rig Review - $8 amazon.com holster :p within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I made mine myself cause I didn't feel like spending ~$8 plus S+H and waiting 8 weeks (shipping to Iraq), but it's pretty much the ...

Thread: Shoulder Rig Review - $8 amazon.com holster :p

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar

Shoulder Rig Review - $8 amazon.com holster :p

I made mine myself cause I didn't feel like spending ~$8 plus S+H and waiting 8 weeks (shipping to Iraq), but it's pretty much the same as the "Universal shoulder holster" found on amazon for $8. I used it a lot in Iraq in "the rear" when I got tired of using my drop leg holster for my M9. My sig fits in it, but it's too long, and not worth modifying.

The ring in the middle of the amazon one was a weak point. It was too wide for most people, and the ring broke a lot. I didn't put a ring in mine.

The clips also broke, but made it work for lefties or righties. They added bulk too, so I didn't use them in mine.

I also didn't incorporate belt straps because I wore it on the outside of my cammies, and in a flight suit...no belt unless I was using the drop leg holster.

Here was my finished product:

The wide shoulder pads were great for comfort. No straps digging in. Wide shoulder areas should be a must for any shoulder rig IMO. They did however get warm...but it was 120+ outside. Probably fine in normal weather.

Weight distribution was ok, but it did seem to slide to the pistol side if you didn't have loaded mags in the mag pouches. I'm guessing the belt loops help with that, but if you're not using belt loops...find something made of a grippy material I guess.

Comfort was 8/10
    Price: 9/10.
    Usually you get what you pay for, but if you're on a budget, this is pretty good. Stitching did not always hold up either on the back strap.
    Durability: 3/10
    Mine worked great, but the purchased ones broke a lot.
    CCWability: 3/10.
    The mag pouches conform close to the body, but a full size pistol held completely horizontally does not conceal too well. The retention strap is also probably not good for CCW, but needed with the horizontal carry if you lean forward at all.
    Overall: 4/10
    I wouldn't reccomend it, but if you gotta carry shoulder and are waiting for your good holster to come in (like if it's a 6 month wait for a MS), it's worth it because of the ultra low price.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

2. Remove Ads

Good review, but to me a holster that I'm wearing for 6 months while waiting on something else should still be a lot higher quality than that. Your life is worth it. Be safe in the sand and thanks for your service.

Links