Kahr CW9 in ctac holster problems

This is a discussion on Kahr CW9 in ctac holster problems within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking for others who have a kahr cw9 carried in a comp-tac ctac holster. I did a lot of searching before buying and everyone seemed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kahr CW9 in ctac holster problems

Kahr CW9 in ctac holster problems

Looking for others who have a kahr cw9 carried in a comp-tac ctac holster. I did a lot of searching before buying and everyone seemed to really like the holster. Well i got mine about a year ago and haven't really tried carrying it much until recently. I've found this holster to be terrible and didn't know if comp-tac may have given me a bad molding or why I am having so many problems. First and foremost any movement or bumping at all causes the holster to hit the mag release and ejects the magazine. Big time problem there!
    Also the screws that allow for adjusting the holster retention level are far too short thus causing the retention to be to high and the gun to be near impossible to draw. I attempted to back the screws out as far as possible to be able to use the holster and now i have stripped threads on the bolts making for an unusable holster. I'm just checking to see if anyone else has had problems with this particular comp-tac model or if for some reason i got a bad one? I'll be looking for a new holster soon, has anyone had a comp-tac and switched to something else and been more happy after the switch? What else should i look into?

2. Remove Ads

Comp-tac has GREAT customer service and a 30 day return policy also. I suggest calling them and telling them what the problem is. I'm sure they'll fix your CTAC. If comfort is also an issue with the CTAC, I suggest exchanging it with an MTAC.

i suppose i could call them the problem is i've had it for approx 10 months, i just didn't wear it much when i first got it so i didn't notice the problems.

well i spoke with comp-tac as well as the internet site that i bought it from and either will honor the 1 year warranty that comp-tac has and replace/repair the holster. I am curious though If any other users of the comp-tac CTAC holsters have this magazine ejecting issue? I am hesitating getting the holster replaced for fear the new holster will have this same problem. IMO the holster appears to suffer from a design flaw not a molding issue. Here are a couple videos that i hope will show you what i am talking about. Hopefully you will see the magazine ejection issue i am talking about. Does anyone else have this happen? As you can probably tell if the magazine ejects this easily from me pushing on the side of the holster the magazine almost always ejects within 5 minutes of wearing the holster with my pistol in it.

This video is to show the flimsyness of the holster that i think attributes to the holster ejecting the magazine. I believe if there were some sort of further reinforcement closer to the mag release i may not have the same problem.

Thanks for taking the time to view. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

i'm a believer in comp-tac. give them a chance to fix the problem. the holster may just be a lemon, send it to them, i'm sure you will be happy with the results.

VIP Member
    I just received an MTAC for my CW9 and the leather back just misses the mag release. After seeing your demo I have tried to make the same thing happen couldn't. You might want to have them change you over to the MTAC.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Do you think they'd swap holsters for me if i'd pay the additional $5 price difference? Or do you think i'd be buying the whole new holster? I called to inquire about this and it seems everyone is busy so I'm waiting on a return call.

Quote Originally Posted by bser View Post
    Looking for others who have a kahr cw9 carried in a comp-tac ctac holster. I did a lot of searching before buying and everyone seemed to really like the holster. Well i got mine about a year ago and haven't really tried carrying it much until recently. I've found this holster to be terrible and didn't know if comp-tac may have given me a bad molding or why I am having so many problems. First and foremost any movement or bumping at all causes the holster to hit the mag release and ejects the magazine. Big time problem there!
    Also the screws that allow for adjusting the holster retention level are far too short thus causing the retention to be to high and the gun to be near impossible to draw. I attempted to back the screws out as far as possible to be able to use the holster and now i have stripped threads on the bolts making for an unusable holster. I'm just checking to see if anyone else has had problems with this particular comp-tac model or if for some reason i got a bad one? I'll be looking for a new holster soon, has anyone had a comp-tac and switched to something else and been more happy after the switch? What else should i look into?
    CTAC's just aren't for everyone. I think it may depend on body type. I got one for my 1911 and frankly it just doesn't conceal worth beans on by body type. The handle sticks out like a third arm from my side. What really surprised me is that I bought a UBG holster for the 1911. It conceals far better than the CTAC and it's an OWB holster. A pullover does pretty well concealing it.

This is not to flame CTAC I was very pleased with their service and a whole lot of people love them. I think it is just my build. I just goofed and kept trying it until well after the 30 day return policy.

If any left hander wants a CTAC for a 1911, mine is for sale. It's virtually unused has all the parts and original packaging.

Administrator
    I'm really suprised you have had these problems with your holster. I have a few of them for different guns, and have been very happy with all of them. I do like the Mtac and Infidel better.

I dont think the flex has anything to do with it, other than maybe it was cut slightly off. Has the mag ejected when you wear it, or just when you force it too yourself?
    "Just blame Sixto"

I had the same thing happen with my crossbreed (for my cw9).

The mag release is a high point on the gun, and THE high point near the top of the grip. When I wore my holster around 4 o clock I was fine, but at 3 o clock it put the mag release near my hip, and a good bump would pop the mag out. I made the "combat grip" cut myself and the problem was solved.

Unfortunately, the CW9 at least (I suspect all Kahrs) will not be safe to carry with anything near that mag release.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm really suprised you have had these problems with your holster. I have a few of them for different guns, and have been very happy with all of them. I do like the Mtac and Infidel better.

I dont think the flex has anything to do with it, other than maybe it was cut slightly off. Has the mag ejected when you wear it, or just when you force it too yourself?

Unless i stay perfectly still the mag will eject within 5 minutes of wear. And after i reseat the mag, everytime I move or adjust position the mag will eject again.

on a side note I did speak with comptac, The holster is still within the 1 year warranty period so they said to send it back and they will repair teh bolt and rework the kydex if necessary, and also make note of changes for future revisions of the holster. Only problem is I'll be w/o a holster for the duration of the repair. :( I've tossed around the idea of just picking up a spartan to wear in the mean time and because i've wanted to try one as well.

VIP Member
    I don't think the timeline will be that long. I ordered my MTAC 2/13 at noon, was shipped on 2/14 and it was in my mailbox on 2/16.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I don't have a Kahr, but I have used the CTAC. I my opinion it is a poor holster in many regards. I called Comp-Tac after wearing it for 3 days or so and they took it back a applied the price to a MTAC - which was much better than the CTAC. Comp-Tac has to have one of the best customer service departments around.

ree
    Consider that it might be the gun. I recall a number of threads on pistolsmith.com (e.g. here) where people replaced (or had replaced) the mag catch or leaf spring to require either more force or more travel for the mag to release.

I suppose you can't determine if this is the case without access to other fitted holsters to experiment with. But if it feels like it takes very little pressure to release the mag with your finger, give Kahr support a call. If they protest, point out that it's a carry gun; "you can't really expect me to carry this thing when I don't know if the mag is still going to be there when I draw it." :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links