What should I use?

This is a discussion on What should I use? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a .357 ruger gp 100 with a 4 inch barrel and i was wondering what would be a good holster for ccw. thanx ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What should I use?

What should I use?

I have a .357 ruger gp 100 with a 4 inch barrel and i was wondering what would be a good holster for ccw. thanx for your help.
    "My weapon has never hurt anyone. It never will. If someone dies by my hand, it is my fault. The weapon is blameless." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Sic Nos Sic Sacra Tuemur- family motto, translation: Thus We Guard Our Sacred Rights

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Welcome to the forum!

There are a number of holster gurus here who should be able to help you out.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

IWB is no fun with a revolver. I'd recommend Kramer's horsehide Belt Scabbard for OWB. Very thin, but extremely sturdy. Rides fairly high to conceal under an open flannel or hawaiian shirt.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

right now i have a cheap vertical shoulder holster but i am looking for something simpler, as it is a pain to put on, but i don't know if i should look in to a holster for my my strong hip or a cross draw model, any advice on that subject?
    "My weapon has never hurt anyone. It never will. If someone dies by my hand, it is my fault. The weapon is blameless." - Mikhail Kalashnikov

Sic Nos Sic Sacra Tuemur- family motto, translation: Thus We Guard Our Sacred Rights

I carry my 3" Ruger GP100 IWB with a Milt Sparks Summer Special II.

I don't see why everyone says Revolvers are hard to conceal. ::

I carry a 4" GP100 in a FIST #14 holster. This holster comes with removable straps and can be used IWB or OWB. The gun carrys comfortably both ways and in summer time I often just wear a loose fitting tee shirt as a cover garment. Like BikerRN, I don't see why some people think a revolver is hard to conceal. You'll need a good belt too of course.

The revolver itself isn't too bad to conceal, just gotta remove that thick cylinder!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    The revolver itself isn't too bad to conceal, just gotta remove that thick cylinder!
    I may be wrong, but it seems like that might affect the revolver's dependability.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM-STICK Holsters View Post
    I may be wrong, but it seems like that might affect the revolver's dependability.

what do you mean? it will still go click everytime!....lol

Quote Originally Posted by BOOM-STICK Holsters View Post
    Or at least cut way back on the 'ole capacity!

VIP Member
    I'd vote for Kramer's Horsehide Belt Scabbard too... excellent OWB holster!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by palmgopher View Post
    what do you mean? it will still go click everytime!....lol
    But then I would have to change my business name to "CLICK-STICK Holsters". That's not nearly as catchy.

To the OP: There are some good IWB holsters for 4" revolvers, but most of them ride pretty high. Check out CABO Holsters and Simply Rugged Holsters to see some examples.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

I'm not sure if the GP is comparable to the S&W K or J frame, but give "Blackhawk!" holsters a call. If their SERPA holster fits the GP, you can get it and attach the included paddle, & adjust it for cross draw carry-all for around 50 bucks!
    Please contribute to the continuing destruction of Liberty. Vote Republican or Democrat.

Administrator

This thread is wonderfully off topic now isn't it?

When a member posts a serious question and is requesting specific information in an area of the forum that is not in Humor and Off Topic ~ then please try to refrain from just making a funny comment in the thread.

That would be because they tend to "snowball" and then the entire thread gets goofed up.

At least help the member by providing a requested answer and then add a humorous comment to that.

Do not sidetrack the thread just for the sole purpose of sidetracking it.

Back on topic.
    Thanks.

For my S&W, 2.5-inch, model 66, I find the Milt Sparks Summer Special ll does a great job. Comfortable, and conceals nicely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links