XD9 Service Smartcarry

XD9 Service Smartcarry

This is a discussion on XD9 Service Smartcarry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry to start up a thread for this, but I've been searching for a while and didn't quite find what I was looking for. Has ...

XD9 Service Smartcarry

Sorry to start up a thread for this, but I've been searching for a while and didn't quite find what I was looking for.

Has anyone tried carrying an XD9/40 Service in a Smartcarry?

What was your experience?
    Half measures availed us nothing...

i have an xd9sc, that works in the smart carry but I wouldn't try a full size in it as the grip would dig into your leg...just my opinion.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

wouldnt be the most comfy sitting down, but might work.
    i donno, get one, try it out, if it doesnt work, send it back!
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

I started another thread about this holster: Deep Concealment Shoulder Holster

I thought about the smart carry but I thought this would be better.

i couldn't successfully or comfortably conceal a sub compact xd, I couldn't imagine a service.

I carried an XD 40 Service for a couple of days in my SmartCarry. The gun was (we have since sold it) my wife's and I tried it just as an experiment. I can't say it was any worse than my full-sized Smith & Wesson .45 as far as comfort goes. Concealability would be marginally less because of the thickness of a double-stack grip over a single-stack, but I think that would really be splittin' hairs to give that more than cursory consideration.

The trick with the SC for comfort while sitting is wearing it low enough. It feels unnatural, like your waist-band of your pants is riding around your hips instead of your waist, but when it's low like that, the top of the gun and holster work sort of like a "hinge" and have enough room to travel. Wear it higher, like it feels natural to do, and the butt, or hammer, or beaver-tail, or maybe even the safety/decocker lever will dig into your gut. The XD eliminates all that except for the grip and the corner of the rear of the slide, either of which will dig just as bad if you wear it too high.

I don't think the gun that one carries in a SC is the determining factor in whether or not it's comfortable enough to tolerate. If you can tolerate wearing it low like it's supposed to be worn, and tolerate the unnatural feeling of weight against your stuff all day, most any gun will conceal adequately. If you have a problem with comfort with the XD, you'll likely have it just about as bad with even a smaller gun, which is exactly what happened with me when I went from my .45 being my EDC to carrying a RAMI. Comfort-wise, there was no discernible difference. Concealability-wise, the difference was very slight, just shy of being completely insignificant.

Blues
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

Links