Holster between belt and waistband?

This is a discussion on Holster between belt and waistband? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I'm new to concealed carry. For the record my gun is a S&W 340M&P snubnose. I'm in front of a crowd at church often ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster between belt and waistband?

Holster between belt and waistband?

Hello,
    I'm new to concealed carry. For the record my gun is a S&W 340M&P snubnose.

I'm in front of a crowd at church often and can not afford to be "made". I wear a suit most of the time. My questions concern holster choice. I wish to invest in a fine quality holster and I don't want to have a bad choice. I also don't want to own several holsters if I can help it.

I have a pocket holster and will occasionally carry that way. But usually it will be under my jacket. Behind the hip (FBI) conceals well without going inside the pants (tuckable etc.). But I also find appendix carry handy and quite concealable if tucked IWB.

Can't I just get a thin IWB/tuckable/cant adjustable holster and use it both ways (or 4 ways to be exact). Obviously I could tuck or not as I felt necessay - no question there. Could I carry it both 3:30 position and appendix as I wished? Couldn't I get the before mentioned features in a holster and then decide which way I preferred after trying both (or all ways) for a while?

Also, couldn't I just use the IWB holster BETWEEN the belt and the trousers if the trousers I chose for the day were a little tighter than some (or if I didn't want to buy "ALL" of my pants big and have them all equally baggy if I wasn't carrying etc.).

By the way,I need to have tabs or clips on my holster because there will be times when I want to take it off for an event and not have to take the belt off in an obvious manner.

So there we go! IWB/cantable/tuckable for wear in different positons - tucked or untucked - outside the pants and under the belt???? Can I have it ALL in a quality holster - either KYDEX or leather?

What's your suggestions for me? Don't be so cheap? Go ahead and buy a drawer full of holsters - it's only money?

Also, why doesn't anyone talk about wearing the holster between the belt and trousers. It seems to me that that would pull the holster into the body and make it print less. This would be especially true with my "snubbie" with the gun belt OVER the cylinder of the revolver to mask the "bulge".

There we go! Lots of questions! Help me out all you can, please - including any suggestions on holsters and or pictures and the like. Leather? Kydex? The more the better.

Thanks!
    MARV

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure what to tell you about your holster question, but I am sure one of the holster gurus will chime in with some good info.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

As long as I'm on a roll, I'll ask something else. Would I want a fairly high ride rig to get the cylinder of the revolver above the gun belt OR would I want a low ride rig to keep the cylinder below the belt OR would I want the cylinder to hit under the gun belt itself? I'm thinking of particulary when carrying IWB but any comments would help. Obviously I'm new to this stuff.

MARV

This question keeps popping up in various forums lately. Your J frame is probably on the edge of usability as it is designed for semi autos, but you can give this one a look.

SLEEPING DOG Leather Concealment Holster - AMBIDEXTROUS - Large (#035)

Works IWB, between belt and pants, or OWB. Left handed or right.

-Paul

Disclaimer: No affliation with above manufacturer. Just a satisfied customer.
    Hero's aren't born, they're cornered - According to Jim

What about a Desantis dual carry it can be used IWB and OWB. I have one for when I get back to the States.
    Dual Carry

Might want to see about an M Tac by Comp Tac. Concealco also makes a nice IWB leather holster than snaps on and off easily. I have one for my Ruger SP101.

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I believe in miracles but finding one holster that'll do all of that might be a miracle that is too great for my faith!

Check out the dual carry near the bottom of the page at this site: Gun Leather, Concealment and Cowboy holsters, Azle, TX. It would be a good IWB that can be converted but not each morning as you pick your pants!

I'm a pastor and understand how you feel. I too must be perfectly concealed. For me I've found that IWB is the very best way. Weapon selection is an issue. I now carry a Kahr MK9 becasue of how well it conceals compared to a J frame. Anyway, you'll need to find an IWB with straps and I'd really encourage you to only get a model where the straps are out to the sides of the weapon. The cylinder is enough of a bulge to deal with as it is.

Another option might be the Mini Clip holster make by Kirkpatrick Leather. I asked if they could make one for my MK9 and they were happy too. If they made one for a J frame it would make it easy on and off, would conceal well, and would "possibly" work between the belt and the pants. It would be worth a call to them to as them if they could make if for your J frame.

I hope you can find what you're looking for without having to buy your way through lesser models until you find the one that works!
    Attached Images

I am not very knowledgeable on wheel gun, but I would think that for your use a small semiautomatic would be a better choice. A Kahr PM 9 (Which I have) of a Kel-Tec PF 9 which a friend has would be a good choice and I am sure there are others that would work.

Then I think it would be easier to find a holster to work for your needs.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    Hate to say it, but 90% of the folks here have a drawer devoted to holsters. Its all trial and error my friend. When you absolutley can't be made pocket carry is the safest.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

The pictures shown on the following web page may answer part of your question.
    FIST, INC.

"Beltster" Holster

Marvin:

Check out Bandera gunleather or Google "beltster holster".

This is a custom made belt with a built-in slot for whatever firearm you want. Can be made left or right handed wherever you want it to ride.

I've ordered one and give a report here after trying it out.

...Skye...

They are a generic sized loop which is very unsecure, plus it leaves your whole pistol out in the open to get banged around. Use a quality, dedicated holster.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

When I do belt carry,I use a Desantis Thumb break holster between my belt and pants.I just run the belt throught the "loops" and over the holster..it hold the gun real snug,and I can even usr a cheap belt.The trick it to find a holster that isn't "high ride"..my desantis is for an SP101 BTW.The one for my J frame is the speed scabbard,and it is a little high,and doesn't work as well between the belt and pants.Like others said,it's alot of trial and error..if you can find a gun shop that will take holsters back(even if they're depreciated)that would be great.
    "Just because I'm paranoid,doesn't mean they're NOT after me...."

How about a CompTac 2 o'clock or a Blade Tech UCH. Thin and I bet they can be worn between.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

welcome to the forum. not sure how to help you out but
    you have come to the right place for answers.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links