C-Tac Problem

This is a discussion on C-Tac Problem within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Perhaps someone here can ID what my problem is with the C-Tac holster and 1.5" (5-Stitch) Wilderness Belt combo? I suspect that it is "pilot ...

Thread: C-Tac Problem

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar

C-Tac Problem

Perhaps someone here can ID what my problem is with the C-Tac holster and 1.5" (5-Stitch) Wilderness Belt combo? I suspect that it is "pilot error" but am unsure what the solution is.

I just received the C-Tac Holster for my 1911 the other day from Gunners Alley. First time carrying my 1911 in it and C-Clip slides down from the belt (I started out with them properly positioned).

I am attaching a picture that should give a better idea of the problem. The holster was originally secured properly, I drove a few miles to do an errand and returned and this is what it now looks like (and it is uncomfortable).

I also own the same C-Tac/C-Clip setup for my Glock 17/22s and remember having the same problem. Since I don't really carry my Glocks, I just let the issue slide. However I do prefer to carry my 1911 and thus the problem isn't really acceptable.

Is this caused by the use of the 1.5" Wilderness Instructor's Belt (5-stitch)?

Or is there another reason for this to be happening?

What is the solution?

I chose the C-Clips intentionally so that nobody would notice the clips and get "nosy".
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

I don't use a C-Tac, but my Supertuck is pretty similar so I'll take a shot/guess.

One of two things, one, the belt is "thinner" than a double thickness leather gunbelt would be and the bottom of the clips don't provide any grip at all. You may be able to heat and tighten them up if you don't want to change belts. Two, you may find that simply tightening the belt helps. The weight of the gun is gonna cause it to want to move downward much more than the Glock.....

Nice rig though!

I frequently use CTAC holsters with the Widerness belt to carry an XD9 and also a Beretta Brigadier. I use the standard clips and have never experienced the problem you describe. I have never tried the C clips. You might try changing out those C clips. Wouldn't know what else to tell you.

Senior Moderator
    I use the C-Clips with a Wilderness Tactical belt almost daily, and I have only rarely had the issue you are having.

You might consider heating the top of the clip a bit and imparting a slight angle to the tab that goes over the top of the belt.

Or perhaps the belt isn't tight enough?

Comp-Tac's customer service department is very good. I am sure they can help you out if you give them a call.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Thanks for the ideas. I sent an Email last night to Comp-Tac with the picture. I'll wait to hear from them before trying any modifications.

I doubt that the 5-stitch Wilderness is thinner than a double-thick leather gun-belt, but I have not compared thicknesses of both. It's thick enough to make it difficult to slide slotted holsters onto it (i.e. my Brommeland holster).

Standard clips might work better but would be more obvious, something I'd rather avoid.

The belt starts out tight, but may slide down some (thus loosening) on us pear-shaped folks.

Keep the ideas coming folks. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post

Standard clips might work better but would be more obvious, something I'd rather avoid.

You will most certainly have a cover garment to hide your gun butt. How could standard clips possibly be more obvious when covered by a polo shirt ?

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    You will most certainly have a cover garment to hide your gun butt. How could standard clips possibly be more obvious when covered by a polo shirt ?
    True when out and about (in most seasons), however (and not necessarily obvious) this holster is designed to be tuckable, so that nothing but the clips are visible. Thus, when visiting friends or in the Summer I'd prefer a solution that doesn't require a cover garment (I do have a few Hawaiian shirts, vests, etc. too).

I have the C-clips on my CTAC......I also switch them out with the J and standard clips (depending on what I'm doing and my mood).......and I also experience the problem. Modifing the top of the C clip (heat and bend) sounds good although I havent done it yet. I don't believe it has as much to do with the belts thickness as it does just the normal moving around, sitting, walking, driving, etc. I have done the C-clip forward and a standard clip aft, although it didn't give me the "warm fuzzy" of 'complete concealment', it wasn't as obvious as two standard clips......and nobody around me noticed anything while I ambled around with a Glock tucked into my polo.

I think after work I'll bend my C-clip tops and report back how it went.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I had exactly that problem with my Glock 19 in a CTAC with C-clips. I just switched to the standard clips and that eliminated the problem for me, but I don't tuck it very often. I carry with an Uncle Mikes reinforced pistol belt but as I shifted around during the day certain positions would allow the belt where the rear clip sat to go slack, allowing the clip to drop out. Most people aren't that observant so you could go C clip front, standard rear as a compromise, but if you spend enough time around someone it's quite possible that they would notice either clip. I doubt anyone would know what it was as most people aren't even aware of IWB as a mode of holster carry. The trick would be that if they ask what do you tell them it is? If you carry a cell phone, clip it or something else near the standard clip. Hell, you could even put a hole through it, clip a carabiner or key chain to it and keep your keys on it. Not something I would want to do but those are my ideas. Good luck. Lack of comfort when carrying would likely be a bigger giveaway than a little black clip on your belt. Always shifting your holster is a sure way to make someone notice you.
    Mike

Spring Break Fallujah '06
    "Always Flexible"

I have never used the c-clips but I have heard of others having the same problems with them. I use the standard clips on my CTAC and I have the opposite problem. The clips work their way up my belt insead of down when I'm sitting a lot. Like someone else said you may have to use the standard clips since the 1911 is fairly heavy. Maybe you can blouse your shirt a little more to help cover the clips up. Best of luck!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Well, not having heard back from Comp-Tac, I called them yesterday (~10AM their time). Nice lady who answered the phone told me that JR (who she said is the Gen'l Mgr) is the right person for my question. He was on the phone so I asked to hold for a while then she apologized and took my number for him to call back. I then told her that I sent an Email ~1 week ago and she said that they normally respond rapidly to Email, apologized again and told me that she'd make JR aware of that.

No return phone call or Email to this time. Hmm, I wonder what's going on there?

that's very surprising... i'd continue to call until you reach him and make him very aware of the situation you've had.

It appears, looking at the photo, that using the "C" clips what actually supports the weight of the firearm is 1 - how tight the belt is cinched wedging the firearm/holster between the waist and belt and 2- the waistband of the slacks. If the belt is cinched tight it would seem that movement in and out of the car, sitting and standing, is working the firearm/holster down because the waistband of the slacks won't support the weight. The "C" clips look like they were designed to prevent the holster from pulling from the pants when the firearm is drawn. To get support of the firearm/holster and to prevent it from moving downward I'd go with the standard clips.

Just my observation for what it's worth.

Well, I received a very apologetic call from JR ~10AM their time this morning. He had been out for ~a week with the flu and Emails/phone calls backed up on him.

JR told me that the Wilderness Instructor 5=stitch belt is only as thick as a single-layer leather belt and thus is know to cause problems such as mine.

He suggested heating the top lip of the C-clips and bend them down ever so slightly to see if that helped. Will give it a try shortly . . . after taking before and after pictures.

Links