1911 Unsafe in holster

This is a discussion on 1911 Unsafe in holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I posted this on another forum and thought I should do the same here.. I discovered a problem with my OWB Galco while carring my ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Unsafe in holster

1911 Unsafe in holster

I posted this on another forum and thought I should do the same here..

I discovered a problem with my OWB Galco while carring my 1911. The strap would push down on the thumb safety thus making the gun HOT without my knowledge! Twice I found the safety off and twice I was lucky.

I took and trimmed off some of the strap and hopefully that will fix the problem..for now tho, I will carry this gun EMPTY around the house to see how this trim job does.

In the photos below (I wish I had taken pictures BEFORE I trimmed) you can see how the stap rests right ontop of the thimb safety..before I trimmed, there was more "meat" on the strap thus taking the safety completely off.

2. Remove Ads

Quite common in holsters with thumb break straps. Shame they didn't actually field test their product! Good advise for everyone to check Doc!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

That's a very common occurance with mass produced bovine skin product gun containers.

There are two cures available, besides the Leatherectomy you performed. One is to avoid holsters with straps, my choice BTW unless I'm carring unconcealed. The other is to use a well made custom holster by a reputable maker that knows what he is doing.

Hey, that 1911 has a Grip Safety too ya' know. Unless you "pinned it" there was no way that gun was going to go off while it was in your holster. Now, once you grip it and put your Booger Hook on the trigger, that's a different story.

Biker

Administrator
    Ditto...that unless you feel that you really need the retention strap I would take your surgery a bit further and just deftly remove the straps.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have and still am considering removing the strap all together..and as for the grip safety, so noted, but when you reach for the gun, all bets are off as it could discharge possibly as you withdraw even if the booger hook was not on the trigger..to me that is not being in control, if it's going to go off, I prefer to have it pointed down range and not at my knee caps..just wanted to give a heads up to others on this in hopes to maybe prevent an "AD"..

Senior Member Array torrejon224's Avatar
    Another reason to spend the extra $20 or so and wait for a custom rig.

Please explain to me "how" the gun is going to discharge without your finger depressing the trigger. What is going to depress the trigger if the finger doesn't. A 1911 does not generally fire without the trigger compressed unless there is a sear problem. Depending on what modell or 1911 you have there may be other safetys as well, such as the firing pin block or the half cock safety that keeps the hammer from hitting firing pin if hammer falls without trigger being pulled.

There are reasons most top-end custom holstermakers do not use a thumb break design. Proper molding for retention is one. The factory built jobs just can't match the hand boning techniques.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

VIP Member
    Good warning DrLewall, thanks!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I used a Galco thumb break for years on a 1911 and never had a problem with it. Are you sure the thumb safety hasn't become loose from a weak spring? I now use the VM2H and 55BNH with my 1911's.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Wow. That's interesting. Good catch!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Galco holsters; Holsters; Gun holster, pistol holsters, western holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster and Glock holsters

Are Galco Holsters for 1911's Designed to be Carried "Cocked and Locked", "Condition 1"?
    All Galco holsters with safety straps and thumbreaks are designed to carry the 1911 with the "hammer down, chamber empty". Galco 1911 fit holsters that are "open top" (no safety strap and no thumbreak)are designed to accommodate 1911's in all safe "conditions" specified by the firearm manufacture.

I checked for this after remembering that highnoon holsters makes their retention holsters for hammer down carry as well.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

'BONED' holsters shouldn't have this problem...
    Even though the first safety was pushed 'off' by the leather, you still have the grip safety and the 'finger' off the trigger...it isn't going to fire inside the holster...

Real solution...a quality holster!

Stay armed...with quailty...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

My brother was shocked that I carried con 1, but we have spent 30 years hunting together with shotguns, that's the same thing. One in the chamber, cocked, safety on. Look at UBG for the Canute, great safe 1911 holster.

Wow! That's kinda scary. I've made sure my DeSantis OWB holster for my SIG P220 SAO doesn't even come close to the thumb safety. When I look for the IWB options for this pistol, I'll be making sure the skin guard doesn't affect the thumb safety also. Good point to remember!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links