1911 Holster Information Needed

This is a discussion on 1911 Holster Information Needed within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi folks. I sure would appreciate the advice of those here who are much smarter than me..... I am looking for a OWB leather or ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Holster Information Needed

1911 Holster Information Needed

Hi folks.

I sure would appreciate the advice of those here who are much smarter than me.....

I am looking for a OWB leather or nylon belt holster for a 4 inch 1911 (Kimber Tactical Pro II) that has a thumbreak to accommodate the cocked and locked manner of carry.

I normally do not use thumbreak holsters but I want to go that direction for a holster to wear while riding my Harley. That little extra measure of security with the thumbreak retention would provide peace of mind while riding.

I have looked at the Galco and DeSantis web sites, DeSantis has a holster that matches the description of what I am looking for, but I can only find it for a 5 inch 1911.

Any and all advice is certainly appreciated !

BTW.... is anyone has a good used holster like I am looking for, just shoot me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as I read it.

2. Remove Ads

1943 - 2009
    If you want to stay with off the shelf holsters, you should probably look at Don Hume.

Here's one that might fit your requirements:

DonHume.com - Product Details

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    Hi folks.

I sure would appreciate the advice of those here who are much smarter than me.....

I am looking for a OWB leather or nylon belt holster for a 4 inch 1911 (Kimber Tactical Pro II) that has a thumbreak to accommodate the cocked and locked manner of carry.

I normally do not use thumbreak holsters but I want to go that direction for a holster to wear while riding my Harley. That little extra measure of security with the thumbreak retention would provide peace of mind while riding.

I have looked at the Galco and DeSantis web sites, DeSantis has a holster that matches the description of what I am looking for, but I can only find it for a 5 inch 1911.

Any and all advice is certainly appreciated !

BTW.... is anyone has a good used holster like I am looking for, just shoot me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as I read it.
    I have one of two .45's I take with me on my Harley...it's either a Kimber Ultra, or a Glock-36 (usually the G-36 on my Electra Glide)...
    I would never use a thumb-break, but that's me...with a 'quality' holster, that weapon is not going to come out unless you TAKE it out.
    Heck, I once fell down a set of beachers while at a rodeo (the wife enjoyed it, but that's another story)...about 4-5 rows. I was armed, and the gun never left the holster (Fist #1A clip/cant).

If you've made up your mind...Fist, Inc (See forum holster link...) has the thumb break on many of their holsters...

Stay armed...know your holster...stay safe!
    Last edited by RETSUPT99; February 24th, 2008 at 09:32 AM.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Be aware...most thumb break holsters for 1911's are built for condition 1...hammer down. I agree, no thumb break necessary with a well-built, gun specific leather or (gasp) kydex holster.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Administrator

Post New One By Elpaso Saddlery

I saw it the other day.

The Dual Duty
    A real nice carry rig. Looks like it might be just the ticket for you.
    Available for Commander length.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

kpw
    I have to 2nd QKShooter's opinion. EPS has a bunch of nice designs if you need a TB holster. Cheaperthandirt has some EPS holsters in stock for a reduced price. I still think I want one of these #77 "Tortilla" Holster

Like you, I carry a 4 inch Kimber Tac II (pro size). Go leather for sure. Nylon sux.

If you want to go in a store an purchase - and only the choices you mention it probably won't make much difference - they'll both do the job but make sure you buy a holster for the 4 inch.

Even better is if you go custom. Some of the very new leather holster makers can get you hooked up with what you want w/o having a super-long wait. Among these:

BoomStick Holsters
    Sideguard Holsters
    Bluegrass Holsters

If I am going to carry my 1911 when taking the bike out, my choice is the Don Hume H717...

Having said that, I only use this holster when riding my Harley, any other time I don't care for a holster with retention.

I've ridden Harleys and carried 1911's together for 30 years. Never used a thumb break, never had one fall out.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

A word to the wise: The reason most holster makers don't sell holsters with a thumb break for 1911s is that if it isn't fitted exactly right, the thumb break will (sooner or later) sweep the thumb safety off while the gun is holstered. I found out the hard way after I bought a nice Galco Fletch.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

I ride too, look at my name.

The only holsters I own that have a thumb break are shoulder holsters. I like good quality holsters that retain the weapon. I've never had one fall out, even went down at 60+ MPH.

My list of Holster Makers is fairly short:

Matt Del Fatti
    Milt Sparks
    Mitch Rosen
    Greg Kramer
    Ted Blocker

Keep the rubber side down and the shiney side up Bro.

Biker

DaveT, I do not like thumb breaks but in this case I would error in favor of one. I know holsters and the Dual Duty looks like a winner! Regards, Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Mainspring View Post
    A word to the wise: The reason most holster makers don't sell holsters with a thumb break for 1911s is that if it isn't fitted exactly right, the thumb break will (sooner or later) sweep the thumb safety off while the gun is holstered. I found out the hard way after I bought a nice Galco Fletch.
    We don't offer thumbreaks on our holsters any longer, but not for the reason above. Though I'll admit they are a pain to fit up correctly and not really needed for most general purpose, concealed carry, fitting a thumbreak on a 1911 correctly, isn't that hard to do. We did it for quite a few years back when we supplied Bakersfield PD with all their duty holsters (that was back when they issued and carried the 1911) and also for the 1911's of Dekalb County Sheriffs in GA, back in the 70's. None of our thumbreaks would wipe the safety off.

It seems that most that inquire about a thumbreak for 1911 carry nowadays, come from those who are just a little scared of their guns. They always make it a point to point out that they will be carrying the gun "cocked and locked" and therefore would like a strap of leather between hammer and firing pin out of fear their gun might accidently fire and take a divot out of their tush.

Anyway, that is more an issue of a weapon familiarization and training than any kind of safety issue with gun itself.

To the OP, if you're going to be using any kind of nylon holster than you will definitely want a model with a thumbreak, safety strap or something to lock the gun in place. I'm not sure you can even purchase a nylon holster without a strap of some sort and there's probably a good reason for that. A well fitted leather concealment holster on the other hand shouldn't require a retention strap for riding, as long as the holsters retention is adequate to begin with.

I have a couple Harleys and ride all the time with the same holster I use when I'm out and about on two feet. I carry mostly a Officers Model which is a half inch shorter than a 4" and it is quite secure worn IWB, open top and behind the hip.

Now if you were an enduro rider......
    Second Best is not an option

Administrator
    T.Kanaley - +1 what T. said.
    But, if you simply must have a thumb break...you can find them.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links