Fobus paddle holster

Fobus paddle holster

This is a discussion on Fobus paddle holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just went out and bought a Fobus paddle hoster for my p-345. Once I got accustomed to the draw style, I really like it. I ...

Thread: Fobus paddle holster

Fobus paddle holster

Just went out and bought a Fobus paddle hoster for my p-345. Once I got accustomed to the draw style, I really like it. I might have more of a problem concealing when the summer comes and I'm wearing t-shirts, but it seems to be very comfortable.

Any thoughts?
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help." -Ronald Reagan

Lead Moderator
    Lots of people will scoff at Fobus. I used one for quite a while for outdoor non concealed use. It worked just fine. It is a inexpensive holster and doesn't lend well for concealed use.
    I have not found a OWB holster that lends itself to t shirt concealed carry.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I like the fobus. it is inexpensive, decent holster. however, i did see a post in youtube on how easy it is to strip a pistol inside one of these holsters; the holster broke with the pistol inside as a "BG" takes away the pistol despite the 'retention move" the pistol wearer attempts.
    "embrace the suck" - our warriors in the sandbox... it implies that do the best you can in impossible conditions.
    "no plan survives intact upon contact with the enemy" - wisdom of the Grunts.

I have one. Sometimes carry my G17 or G22 in it under a jacket when it's cold. Very fast draw, very comfortable, very easy on/off. Kydex---it is what it is.

Assistant Administrator
    Fobus does get a bad rep' - not always unjustly but also - in part unfairly I think.

I judge by my first one, ages ago - used back when I was truly P95Carry (I should now be SIG226Carry ). It was very convenient to slip on and off - adjust for ''o'clock'' and retention was good. Because I had easy and good choice of cover garments it was not even a problem with printing. Sat well.

A downside often mentioned is that retention can be too strong. Well maybe but - slight tweaks with a heat gun can ease that - altho my solution was, developing and practicing an ''intertial'' draw. No slow smooth pull from the rig - rather a fast snappy jerk type move to get past that ''holding'' tension.

I doubt they can be beat for sheer value and for range use mine still sees occasional use. Long term tho I think a lot of folks - myself included - weaken and go to a good quality custom leather rig.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider39a View Post
    I like the fobus. it is inexpensive, decent holster. however, i did see a post in youtube on how easy it is to strip a pistol inside one of these holsters; the holster broke with the pistol inside as a "BG" takes away the pistol despite the 'retention move" the pistol wearer attempts.
    I have also seen that clip.
    1. If concealed how would a BG know it was on you?
    2 Who thinks one would just stand and let him run up to you and grab the gun and holster and do nothing?
    3. I once asked an instructor to grab mine and break the holster. It did not happen with a couple of pretty strong tugs.

I have used Fobus paddle holsters for over 10 years for several guns. I also have some leather holsters by the top makers. I use the Fobus a lot for the convenience. I find it stays close to by body, and wear it with a shirt tail untucked.

Some have evidently had bad experiences, and I do not doubt what they report, but such has not been my experience. I like them well enough to have one for each of my guns.
    For all day wear the paddle gets a little uncomfortable, and the pancake leather is much better, but the Fobus is a good entry holster until one figures out what he wants. I prefer the Fobus to cheap leather.

Regards,
    Jerry

I like mine a lot. I only use them for hunting, open carry, and concealed at night with an overshirt when the burglar alarm goes off at the school. But they are cheap, retain well, and the paddle style is very secure in the waistband.

Had one, won't buy another.

Thanks all for your input, both positive and negative. I'll try both the Fobus and my inside the waist sleeve and probably end up using both depending on circumstances.

Regards,

RD
    "The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help." -Ronald Reagan

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Retention drills and a few elbow strikes will keep the gun in the holster. I don't plan on letting a stranger gut that close to my weapon behind me.

Administrator
    They are junk, but I still have several... they keep showing up and I dont know where they come from.
    They are good for tossing on quickly, thats about it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    My brother drew my P95 from my Fobus while I was seated and typing. It scared me enough to let that one be assigned to range duty and hunting.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

I just ordered one. Not for conceal carry. Mainly for the Empty Holster Protest coming up. Thing is, I didn't want to buy something cheap that was going to collect dust. So I ordered one for the Springfield 1911. Thought maybe I use it for when I go deer hunting or if I ever get a chance to go Boar hunting. Or perhaps the range. You never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Raider39a View Post
    however, i did see a post in youtube on how easy it is to strip a pistol inside one of these holsters; the holster broke with the pistol inside as a "BG" takes away the pistol despite the 'retention move" the pistol wearer attempts.
    is this the vid??
    YouTube - Why you don't use a kydex paddle holster

i guess it's just a couple of pop rivets holding it together..at least w/my uncle mikes paddle,there's 2 small screws that hold it together
    S&W-SW40VE
    molon labe
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity" --Sigmund Freud

Links