Ladies and holsters

This is a discussion on Ladies and holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am slowly building a holster drawer, much to my dismay. as a woman, I find myself going back to the belly band over and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ladies and holsters

I am slowly building a holster drawer, much to my dismay. as a woman, I find myself going back to the belly band over and over... it just conceals better than other options. I have the same wish for a skin protector incorporated with the band, though!

my info: 5'10", curvy, kinda short waisted, usually concealing PM9 or CA Off-Duty revolver.

Here are some things I've tried and the results:

1) Tuckable 1-clip no-cant kydex holster- miserable for concealment and comfort.

2) Smart Carry- I just have a problem going out in public (or private!) looking like I have "stuff" down there! sorry, it just looks weird on me, and makes me feel weird having something hanging loose down there.

3) a straight drop Desantis IWB clip- has been very comfortable at 2:30 position, slides outside my thigh when I sit and squat, so it doesn't poke leg or ribs, and positions the gun under the front pocket of my jeans so the slight end-o-barrel bulge is unnoticed- if anything, looks like something is in my pocket. Also have used this holster clipped in the top of my work boot. full skin protection from metal. only drawback is that it is too big for my PM9, so it isn't as snug a fit as I like.

4) Crossbreed Supertuck- very very comfortable at 3:00-4:00; a bit heavy on the waistband/belt; somehow it puts the end-o-muzzle bulge in the wrong place no matter where I position the clips. Clips are way obtrusive- I'm miffed that right after I received mine they changed to a much better standard clip style, just my bad luck. This is a tuckable holster, but on me, I cannot tuck due to the bad muzzle printing (which is there even when the holster is empty, as it is kydex). I love wearing it, but can only wear it places that are extremely gun friendly. was slightly disappointed that there is too much material/width to wear it on the front of my body, which is what I prefer, but of course that is not where the holster is designed to go anyway.

5) bellyband- it works, it's flexible on positioning, its cheap, its comfortable, it holds the gun very close to the body, I love it. also holds other things, such as my CCW permit (for when I leave the purse behind), a $20, or whatever. No belt needed. I've used this with several different guns, at 1:00, 2:00, 3:00, 4:00, and (with a keltec) crossdraw higher on the ribcage hidden under the "boob shadow" where shirt fabric naturally falls away from the skin, even in slightly fitted styles.
    Complaints: rides up in the back after a while, and no skin protection for the grip and the end of the muzzle.

Next I'm going to experiment with a shoulder rig, but have to convince myself to lay down $150 on yet another experiment first.

2. Remove Ads

pax
    tellico ~

I agree with you about bellybands. They can be wonderful!

You might get a bit more comfort if you wander into the teenage girl department and purchase a plain tube top, to be worn underneath the belly band. I find it helps.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post
    CEW58 ~

Thanks. You say all the nicest things!

pax
    I've been looking around the web for a site like yours as I've been trying to convince my wife to get her CCL with no luck so far. Maybe some of the articles on your web site will change her mind.

My daughter didn't need any prodding as she works in a rather high crime area, but she's not yet an experienced shooter and should find your web site very helpful in that area as well.
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

Quote Originally Posted by pax View Post

Hey, it doesn't matter what sex the holstermaker is, as long as he/she has a given some thought to the problems and is willing to listen to listen to customers who have a different body shape or different concealment issues than the holstermaker does.

I like the looks of your tuckable clip or snap. What's your turnaround time looking like?

pax
    4 weeks.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

sorry so long to get back!

This thread has been a tremendous help. I'm thinking that maybe I could be more comfortable, I just don't know it yet.

Here is how I 'modified' my high noon holster (formally the split decision model) to fit me better. You can see where the 'old' holes are and how much I moved the clip up. I do like it, yet I'm so short waisted it still seems to shift and poke at times. I see where having the muzzle forward slightly would be nice. It would also be nice to have a shield to protect my skin. Those gripper ridges on the gun need not exfoliate my belly! Something's gonna have to give this summer.

I am 5'3 and about 150. I have an athletic build. Practically no waist. At least

Attached is a picture of my gun and how it fits in my holster. It seems to work for me as best as I know anyway!

PS..Pax, I LOVE your website! Thank you a million times x7 for all the work you have put into it. It has been a great help to me.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by bluedaisy; March 3rd, 2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: added ps
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links