Small Of Back Holster for PT140 3rd Gen??

This is a discussion on Small Of Back Holster for PT140 3rd Gen?? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am searching for a comfortable holster for my PT140. I have used Fobus holsters in the past, but I would like to hide my ...

Thread: Small Of Back Holster for PT140 3rd Gen??

Small Of Back Holster for PT140 3rd Gen??

I am searching for a comfortable holster for my PT140. I have used Fobus holsters in the past, but I would like to hide my gun a bit more. I am, as some would say a bit overweight(mostly a gut, you know Beer & pizza). I need something that will work with the gut. Does anyone have any suggestions on holsters? I was thinking that a SOB holster would work for me, what do you think? Does anyone know of a good quality SOB Holster? Thanks for the help & I apologize if this has been covered in the past.

-Matt

2. Remove Ads

SOB holsters may seem like a great place to conceal BUT, if you ever fall and land on your gun there is a good chance of spinal injury.

I know lots of people who carry SOB...never have heard of a problem. Now I don't carry EXCATLY on the spine...more like 5:30. It's comfortable, and I don't worry about spinal injuries any more the hip injuries when I carry at 3:30...

Carry in any way that feels comfortable for YOU, and allows you to retrieve your weapon quickly when needed...

NOTICE: This is flame resistant post...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

IWB strong side or appendix will conceal much better, and be a lot easier for weapon retention too. Just better all around in my opinion. Depending how much overweight you are can make the difference - if your gut is huge and your waist is tiny, appendix carry will probably not work too well. But you may find it easier to conceal strong side IWB with a gut in front. I guess what I'm getting at is body type makes a big difference, but you likely won't find many supporters of SOB carry in general. Some holster makers refuse to make them.

Austin

SOB's print something awful, hurt to sit and lean back, are hard to get to if you're overweight, and make a nice CLANG sound when you sit down on a metal folding chair.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at other holsters & will make a decision shortly. When I say over weight, I mean that I stopped wrestling when I graduated college 5 years ago & put on 35 pounds in the gut. Although, 35 pounds is alot of lbs, I no longer have to answer to a scale 3 times a week. Please keep the info coming. Thanks
    -Matt

Age has granted me a gut too, but it's actually made IWB easier. My extra weight is all in the front, letting me go IWB at 3:00 virtually invisible. When I was in great shape, I printed more.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

I have carried SOB before, And much rather carry IWB now that I have a good holster. Same problems listed above, printing, draw, spine issues....
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar

Thumbs down

Three words of advice. "Don't Do It!!!" Had a Galco SOB for my
    1911. Printed horribly if you bent over. Bottom of holster would be in view at times. Painful to wear while driving. Hard to get to your weapon and re holster. Would disengage the thumb safety while carrying (not cool). You do some serious sweeping when drawing. Overall found it unsafe and uncomfortable. Let her go for 15.00 as I didn't want to put it to the gent who bought it. JMO
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

Administrator
    It is possible to draw the firearm from a SOB location without sweeping your body. You really need to ingrain the draw sequence though.

Problems reholstering during practice is initially a PITA.
    Like everything else it gets much easier with practice.

Trouble reholstering is not really a huge problem if you need to draw in an actual defensive scenario.

I think the spinal injury issue is somewhat overblown.

Uncomfortable? Somewhat at times.

I am not one of them but, there are folks that do manage to carry SOB successfully.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Thanks for all of the info. I think that I am going to get aan IWB holster. I drive a good amount for work & I don't want to sit on my gun all day.
    -Matt

Senior Member Array Sportsterguy's Avatar
    Great choice Matt!!!
    Sportsterguy-NRA Life Member

Molon Labe!

Join the NRA today, or don't complain when your guns are taken away!

SOB carry is good if you stand on your feet alot or have a very active job where you have to bend up and down all day. Deli owners like sob, card shop owners also. Its easy to move right and left and twist with sob. Sales people do not, they are in and out of the car. SOB takes awhile to get used to in the car.

Take Care
    Alex
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

I'll tell ya, I was determined I was going to carry my PT111 SOB, and eventually did the same with my G19, and made it work, but was never really happy with it. Finally broke down and went strong side IWB, and wished I'd done it all along, sooooooooo much more comfortable, secure, and safe. I went with the Crossbreed Supertuck, and it rocks. That being said, if you were adament that you liked the idea of SOB, Crossbreed does make a holster of that style, and they came with a 2 week trial period so you can try it before you decide it's uncomfortable and swith to the Supertuck. :-) Either way, good luck, stay safe. Those PT's are nice little guns.
    .40 is fine.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    one downside to SOB is if you ever get pushed down or fall backwards what do you think is going to break... the gun or your vertebre? Just a saftey issue I have with it. (the answer is vertebre btw)
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Links