Bluegrass Holsters Mason-Dixon Holster

This is a discussion on Bluegrass Holsters Mason-Dixon Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thats a nice looking setup. Looking at it right off, I only see one thing I might change. The slots on either end where the ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bluegrass Holsters Mason-Dixon Holster

Thats a nice looking setup. Looking at it right off, I only see one thing I might change. The slots on either end where the risers attach, is it possible to add a metal edging on the inside edge (I cant think of a name for the device im thinking of here), to keep the leather from being pinched over time? Like some sort of slotted eyelet that fits into the slot already cut. I would think the thing would last literally forever otherwise.

and if you need another tester, id be happy to fill the void.

2. Remove Ads

ree
    Brock, it looks like a great concept, especially if it is comfortable as an IWB and also keeps the gun pulled in really tight when OWB'ed.

I primarily pocket carry my small guns and IWB my larger ones. But every so often I want to OWB under a suit coat since my pants are snug and fitted. For what little time I spend dressed up, I've yet to justify buying an OWB. This looks like just the ticket.

Also, I disagree with mslaughtertx that kydex would be more comfortable. Those leather straps will add a lot of comfort over kydex clips because of their flex. My reasoning? I have a MTAC that I like except for the fact that at 3 o'clock, the front clip digs into my thigh when sitting the back one flares out rather than following the curve of my butt. I did cut them down a little and bent the front one out a bit and the rear one in a bit to fit ME. But the front one still pokes me and the back one shifts around when the bottom end of the clip presses against seat backs. I don't want to just holster at the highest setting as this doesn't give me the cant I want. So I've been planning on fabbing up some leather tabs just like what you've done. My thinking is they'll flex inside my pants enough to reduce poking.

My only concern then would be if the angle of the holster can be maintained with that floppy a joint. Again on the MTAC, the clips can rotate pretty easily around their mount point, which allows the holster to shift cant and move fore or aft. I honestly don't know of a great solution to this other than having two mount points for each loop rather than one or having a rough outside to the holster that grips the pants...but this defeats using it as a nice looking OWB.

Still looks really intruguing.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Lasermax advertises that their unit works in any existing holster. I call that bull.
    Well, it IS USUALLY OK in any holster... It's just IWB with both sides tightly molded... then there is an issue.

It just so happens that I am looking for that exact situation... But between the fact that not really very many people have them, and that not many of them are likely to be looking for an IWB, tuckable, tight-molded-leather holster... I can see why they would feel OK with making that general claim...

It just so happens I'm looking for something rare. Which is why I asked the question about a one-off holster.

I didn't mean to bash Lasermax... If it were THAT big if a deal, I would have removed it from my gun. I was just hoping that I am NOT the only one looking and maybe somebody has already taken care of this.

That is one cool looking holster brock!! one holster so many options!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Member Array Bluegrass Holsters's Avatar

sorry to be late posting your answer

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy Bear View Post
    Well, that prototype looks exactly like what I'm wanting to buy (right down to it being a leftie...).
    But I do have one question;
    How difficult would it be to get a unit custom MOLDED to a gun with a custom accessory?

Depends on the accessory and whether or not it would be damaged during the molding process...

I can think that a common "for example" would be an extended mag release. But to be honest, the mod I have on my mind is not quite so common. - A Lasermax unit.

Extended mag releases should not be a particular problem unless you have something outlandish...most are not that particularly pronounced in my experience...

Now an external laser unit would be difficult IMO....and not sure that I would want the responsibility to mold to it just for the fact that some water might indeed get into it. It is one thing to take an actual firearm out of the holster and wipe it down and oil it to prevent rust...another thing to play with wet/damp electronics...

In your opinion, do I need to take it to a craftsman and have a one-off unit made? Or would it be easy enough to have an online vendor (like you) take care of that?

I would be willing to do an internal laser, just not one for external, although, the cost of sending your firearm to me and paying for the shipping and transfer fees on both ends (no FFL...yet) it would seem relatively cost prohibited. Again, I would work with an internal unit if you wanted to arrange shipping.

Thanks
    ... and...
    If you are still looking for testers, I would also be willing to participate. - And I would probably be willing to send you my laser if you want to take measurements/moldings of it.

Always looking for a good pool of evaluators. Periodically I will ask for evaluators and then draw some names....
    I apologize being slow to answer you....

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass Holsters View Post
    I apologize being slow to answer you....
    although, the cost of sending your firearm to me and paying for the shipping and transfer fees on both ends (no FFL...yet) it would seem relatively cost prohibited. Again, I would work with an internal unit if you wanted to arrange shipping.
    Am I missing something, here? Why transfer fees?

Ownership isn't changing.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    You might want to make the sweat shield / shirt protector a tad broader, or offer that as an option.

Depending on the style/type of rear sights and on the wearer's degree of "DoLap" a bit more leather could be more comfortable.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    Am I missing something, here? Why transfer fees?

Ownership isn't changing.
    Depends on the shipping and receiving FFL's. Most that I have ever dealt with will charge you a fee to ship, and most will charge for receiving...both to pay for the record keeping. I was told by one of my FFL's that I would have to fill out the 4473 to get the firearm once it reaches their hands, and the shipping will have to fill out the same form to get their gun back.

Not sure how that will work once I get the FFL for my shop.

A person can overnight their own weapon to an FFL and receive it back the same way with an adult available to sign for it if there is no transfer of ownership. It's done for repairs often.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    A person can overnight their own weapon to an FFL and receive it back the same way with an adult available to sign for it if there is no transfer of ownership. It's done for repairs often.
    Correct...I spoke with ATF today and have asked for the paperwork so that folks can ultimately transfer directly to me and vice-versa. They told me that it is about a 2 month process....

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass Holsters View Post
    I would be willing to do an internal laser, just not one for external, although, the cost of sending your firearm to me and paying for the shipping and transfer fees on both ends (no FFL...yet) it would seem relatively cost prohibited. Again, I would work with an internal unit if you wanted to arrange shipping

the laser itself replaces the spring guide and is irrelevant to the exterior shape. In order for you to make the proper modifications, all I would need to send you is the custom, replacement slide-release. Since the custom unit is multiple pieces (instead of the single piece with a perpendicular angle) it would easily fit into a document envelope. And I don't beleive that there are any ill affects of that component getting wet.

you would need a 1911 of your own (full size, please) that you could temporarily mount the slide-release replacement into and make a mold of.

Please let me know
    1) If you're interested
    2) how much it would cost me
    &
    3) how long it would take, and how long it will be until you're ready**

** I am not in a rush, so if you say it will be 5 weeks, that's OK, I just want to know so I don't have an improper level of expectation once I send you my equipment.

BUT... Since this is becomming a hyjack to your thread, we should probably continue this via PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzy Bear View Post
    And I don't beleive that there are any ill affects of that component getting wet. you would need a 1911 of your own (full size, please) that you could temporarily mount the slide-release replacement into and make a mold of.
    I decided to answer you here as it likely will help other folks. Unfortunately I do not have a 1911 to use (anyone want to donate one on a long-term basis.....I promise to take really good care of it! ) Actually 99% of what I do will be from gun molds already in existence. Used to be a holster maker would have all the firearms in their personal collection (not that I would not want to do that) but financially it really is not feasible to do so....especially when some firearms turn out to be real dogs. Another option still available is for a particular firearm with customization to be sent to me (via FFL) for a custom molding to be done off of the customer's firearm.

So, bottom line, no 1911 for me to accept your generosity. I thank you for your offer. I would think that the holster would be fine without the specific molding for the attachment piece since that is not the only point of retention.

I looked at all my fine-boned 1911 holsters and then the photo of the switch for the LaserMax. The additional switch will not fit. I contacted them some time ago and they assured me it will work fine. They referred me to Uncle Mike's size ??? as the one they used in the testing. No thanks!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

hmmmm, really like the looks of that as I wear a full size 1911 IWB almost all the time. Keep us up on developments, and of course if you need another evaluator. (waving, jumping up and down). Not for myself of course, but just in the name of research.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Too bad. I was just getting ready to order a IWB and an OWB but noticed he doesn't have a mold for the Sig 220 with rail.

I want one really bad now.
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links