Bluegrass Holsters Mason-Dixon Holster

This is a discussion on Bluegrass Holsters Mason-Dixon Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; greetings.... Since I have received so many emails regarding our IWB I thought I would post a couple of photos and some information. This holster ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member Array Bluegrass Holsters's Avatar

greetings....

Since I have received so many emails regarding our IWB I thought I would post a couple of photos and some information. This holster came back from one of the original evaluators (I have a couple more here in this forum waiting for the updated version).

The concept is simple. A quality all-leather holster which can be used IWB or OWB depending on the user's situation on any given day. The holster is also designed to be tuckable.

This holster is NOT ready for sale yet....I have a couple minor things to do with it before I will be fully happy. The "risers" (belt loop attachments) will be somewhat shorter and fewer holes for adjustment. Future versions will incorporate hidden hardware into the belt loop attachment at the top of the riser. The risers may be stitched in the future, but so far cementing seems to be working fine. The belt loops will come in various colors to allow matching to a belt.

Any feedback for potential changes will be useful.

As a personal note, this idea and pattern had been in developmental stages for approximately 9 months at this time....however, during one of my pre-sponsorship searches on this and other firearm related forums I ran into a post from an individual who had a similar holster made by Kevin Manley (K&D). The major difference was that he appeared to use Kydex clips (comp-tac?). After pondering whether I should start the idea over so as not to appear to be copying someone's work I contacted Kevin. We ended up exchanging emails. Though I did not have photos available at the time, I offered to name it after him if he thought it would be necessary....he stated to me that if the holster had substantial variances that he did not think there would be any concern.

Thus, I will be offering this holsters as the Mason-Dixon in honor of some of my ancestors who helped with the surveying in VA/WVA.

Again, open to suggestions as I finish the first set of holsters ordered and redesign the risers on this holster. And for those dying to read a little history, here ya go: Early History of Monongalia County

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Looking forward to seeing a finished product. Hard to tell how it would work from pictures but sounds good. Keep us posted.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Brock...Is that a lefty or did you get a mirror image?
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

To me the connection of the tuckable IWB straps looks like it would be uncomforable and a little bulgey (word?) in that area. I would say that the concept is great and I will definately order one when you have a finished product. Though it might be more comfortable or feasible to have Kydex straps to attach it (thinner) or attach it where it is level with the holster and not an added bulge. If the tester felt that it was comfortable and did not print as-is then I would say it looks pretty good already.

>Future versions will incorporate hidden hardware into the belt loop attachment at the top of the riser

Brock, I think this above point is imperative to the stability and will help bring it in close and hold it tight to the body. With a screw or other type of anchor at the top should solve any issues, then if the person needs tuckable for the day just remove the top screw.
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    Quote Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
    >Future versions will incorporate hidden hardware into the belt loop attachment at the top of the riser

Brock, I think this above point is imperative to the stability and will help bring it in close and hold it tight to the body. With a screw or other type of anchor at the top should solve any issues, then if the person needs tuckable for the day just remove the top screw.
    Just what my wife wants on our dresser. A screwdriver.

I do like the concept. I have an IWB/OWB from Black Hills Leather. I wish it was also tuckable. I like being able to switch styles depending upon need.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Just one suggestion:

Maybe you could round out the profile of the holster along the bottom, leaving more leather outside the stitching closest to the gun, and use that extra area on bottom for one or more attachment points for the risers.

This would allow for more adjustability of depth, and possibly even cant.

(edited to add:) ...and would be more stable with two attachment points.

Sort of a cross between a C-TAC and the original Roy's Pancake holster.....

Your work looks GREAT, I've gotta say.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitmaster View Post
    Just what my wife wants on our dresser. A screwdriver.
    So Pitmaster your dresser does not say Snap-On Tools like mine?

Hmm.. Note to self get rid of the red metal dresser before I pop the big question to my gal.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; February 27th, 2008 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Fixed quote tags.
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Looking good Brock...keep up the good work.
    CCW Instructor: "Move your shots around, Ya keep hittin the same hole!"

Kimber ProCarry II HD SS - EDC
    Sig Sauer P232 - Better than Bond
    Ruger New Vaquero 7 1/2" 45LC - Wanna-B-A-Cowboy
    Henry Big Boy Repeating Rifle 45LC - Wanna-B-A-Long Distance Cowboy

Looks very interesting. Looking for another evaluator?
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Member Array Bluegrass Holsters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigEFan View Post
    Looks very interesting. Looking for another evaluator?
    I will keep you in mind...thanks

Senior Moderator
    That looks like a great concept
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Brock, kudos to you for being an innovator, rather than one who simply copies another's design.

I applaud you sir......now where's my holster? lol

Seriously, nice work!

Well, that prototype looks exactly like what I'm wanting to buy (right down to it being a leftie...).
    But I do have one question;
    How difficult would it be to get a unit custom MOLDED to a gun with a custom accessory?

I can think that a common "for example" would be an extended mag release. But to be honest, the mod I have on my mind is not quite so common. - A Lasermax unit.

Once installed, a lasermax internal laser has a small black triangular piece of plastic protruding from on each side of the shaft of the mag-release.

Just so you can see what I'm talking about, here's a pic of mine.

There is another knob on the other side too. - turning it is how you activate the laser.

Since there is normally a rounded end on the right side of the gun, the knob is only slightly bigger than normal, so it doesn't interfere with most designs... But the left side causes problems since the normal design has just a flat bar. And, of course, once I started looking for carry holsters for my 45, I quickly found that they are all molded on both sides to minimize the size.

In your opinion, do I need to take it to a craftsman and have a one-off unit made? Or would it be easy enough to have an online vendor (like you) take care of that?

Thanks
    ... and...
    If you are still looking for testers, I would also be willing to participate. - And I would probably be willing to send you my laser if you want to take measurements/moldings of it.

Lasermax advertises that their unit works in any existing holster. I call that bull.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links