Don Hume H721 O.T.:Open Top Holster?

This is a discussion on Don Hume H721 O.T.:Open Top Holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Does anyone have a H721 O.T. I am thinking about getting one for my Ruger P89, and was wondering about the retention and how well ...

Thread: Don Hume H721 O.T.:Open Top Holster?

Does anyone have a H721 O.T. I am thinking about getting one for my Ruger P89, and was wondering about the retention and how well it holds the gun close to the body, and if it conceals good under an untucked polo or t-shirt.
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

I looked at that particular holster myself for my P220. I got a DeSantis 3 slot scabbard for starters with my pistol OWB. I still like the looks of the H721 and it might still be in the future, but I'm looking IWB now. I like the idea of a body panel on the inside.
    DonHume.com - Product Details

I've got one for my Sig GSR. I don't use it much as I have custom leather for it now, but it was the only thing available off the shelf.

I'm really happy with it; it conceals well and is very comfortable. I wouldn't hesitate to order another for a gun while waiting for custom leather, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to someone who can't or won't pop for custom leather.

Joe

One of my main question is about the retention the holster provide how well does the holster hold the gun in place. I noticed that it doesn't have a tension screw or any other type of retention device, so how well does the gun stay in the holster?
    "The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary.
    Men alone are quite capable of every wickedness."

-Joseph Conrad-

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Mine holds the gun very well. In fact, I had to do the gun in a baggie trick overnight before wearing it to loosen it up a bit.

An untucked button up type of shirt works best. Better than a polo type of shirt for me anyway. If your t shirt is 1 size larger it should work OK.

Glock 26 in Don Hume H721OT

Glock 26 in Don Hume H721OT

No but, I have the 720 Agent Open top for my G19 and love everything about it except the Kydex covered paddle.

And I may order the H721 OT for my new G26. While I like the easiness of a paddle, I donít like the Kydex digging into me. And I need something to fill in the void while waiting for my custom Garrinty

I have one for my S&W 1911Sc Commander. It holds the pistol very well. With the pistol in the holster, I can turn it upside-down and shake it around lightly without the pistol falling out. This may have something to do with the light weight of the scandium. I don't know if I could do the same with an all steel pistol.

As far as concealment goes, mine works great with longer-tailed shirts, but t-shirts and sweatshirts reveal the bottom tip of the holster too easily.

I've got a 721 OT for my Sig P239 and it is a solid value holster. Retention is good. I can do the upside down shakedown test with mine. As far as concealment goes, I don't really wear mine since I prefer IWB, but with a long shirt or jacket it does alright. I say alright because it tends to hold the pistol pretty high and if you're like me and sport luv handles it'll have the tendency to tilt away from your body causing the grip to poke out a little. That's my experience with it.
    Mine: Glock 36............Wife's: Ruger SP101 3"
    -------Ruger SR9....................Ruger SR9c
    -------S&W SW99 .45.............Charter Arms Undercover

Hidden Defense - Personal gun & holster designs/reviews.

I have been using the 721 ot for about 4 months now and I love it..it is definatly a snug fit but it will come out easily enough when pulled.
    It rides high and does have the skin protector so you don't have to feel the cold gun in your side...I am also a big guy 6ft and 280 and it feels very natural on my side..I think my next holster for my glock 23 will be a 720 paddle and am trying to find who has the cheapest rates...If I remember right I paid about 39.00dol for the 721 ot
    Glock 23
    Beretta 92fs
    Ruger Mark 3
    S&W 642
    Looking

I have one for my USP that I'm very happy with.

I have 721O.T.s for my G23, G27 & H&K USP40c. They work great & are an excellent value for the money IMO. Retention is not a problem.
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Links