Smartcarry review

Smartcarry review

This is a discussion on Smartcarry review within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Day 2 of wearing my 2 inch SP101 in a Smartcarry. I believe this may be the method I use from now on, I don't ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Smartcarry review

Smartcarry review

Day 2 of wearing my 2 inch SP101 in a Smartcarry. I believe this may be the method I use from now on, I don't see myself buying any other type of holster for the SP101. The S.C. works very well for me in a small revolver like the SP101. I do highly doubt that this method will work well for anything larger than small handguns however.
    If you're considering a Smartcarry, hold up your unloaded pistol in front of you just below the beltline. If the end of the barrel does not protrude down below the pants seam at the crotch, then you can likely wear that pistol in a Smartcarry. I recommend them highly.

I've also practiced drawing and am fairly fast at it. You do need two hands to re-holster.
    Robert John Stewart, The Lost King of Scotland

A Snubby class I've attended teaches how to reload one-handed. Cylinder open, casings ejected with the thumb, butt of gun tucked in belt reload close cylinder get back into the fight.

Senior Member Array HowardCohodas's Avatar
    I have been carrying an M&P 45 with Crimson Trace Lasergrips using the SmartCarry holster for nearly two months. I love it.
    Howard
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop!!
    Politically Incorrect Self Defense

VIP Member
    Got one and prefer a shoulder holster over the Smartcarry. Rarley have to do either. Too slow. I really don't see how it could be prefered over OWB or IWB. It's "deep concealment". It does have it's place in the drawer.

SmartCarry Advantages

For me, the SmartCarry has advantages that cannot be overcome by shoulder, side or back holsters. That is, social interactions (family and friends hugs) do not create an "out". I even roughhouse with my grandchildren without detection.
    Howard

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HowardCohodas View Post
    For me, the SmartCarry has advantages that cannot be overcome by shoulder, side or back holsters. That is, social interactions (family and friends hugs) do not create an "out". I even roughhouse with my grandchildren without detection.
    I agree. I prefer a shoulder holster if I dress up and can wear a button up shirt. If it were just slacks and a tucked in polo shirt, yeah I'd go Smartcarry.

I'd need three hands...one to elevate my belly, one to pry open the front of my jeans, and the other to reach down in and draw.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    Got one and prefer a shoulder holster over the Smartcarry. Rarley have to do either. Too slow. I really don't see how it could be prefered over OWB or IWB. It's "deep concealment". It does have it's place in the drawer.
    With the T-shirts and elastic waist band shorts I wear from May - October my Thunderware holster is the only way to pack my CBOB. Works like a charm.
    The keys to winning a gunfight are first to bring a gun and secondly to take your time, quickly.

Always remember that if your opponent is within range, so are you.

POWER TO THE MEPEOPLE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    I'd need three hands...one to elevate my belly, one to pry open the front of my jeans, and the other to reach down in and draw.

Me too!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

so is not for big guys. you can't make everybody happy

I'm a big guyI'm 5' 11" and 3 years ago I weighted 360 lbs and now I'm 240 but still have a good sized spair tire. I normally wear bib overalls and I'm 3 weeks into using a new Smart Carry holster. Between it and the Crossbreed holster I'm happy. They both have their advantages but the one thing I like the most about the Smart Carry is the room for an extra magazine. For me in dress pants the Smart Carry is quite easy but I for dressing up I prefer my CCW vest from The Holster Vest
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I like mine enough that I ordered my wife one today for her to use. They are well made and very confortable to use.

I love my SmartCarry also. It is very comfortable, except maybe when driving. But as far as concealment and security, there's few things better. I too have a gut, but I have noticed something about the smartcarry that helps with speed of draw. When I wear the smartcarry at the right 'spot', it actually helps to hold up the front of my pants. They won't ride as low as they do without, and don't have to be so "circulation-ceasing" tight as when I'm wearing my MTAC IWB. This allows me to wear my belt much looser, so my draw is much faster.

When it allows, I wear my MTAC all day, but when I hit the house, my XD40SC comes out of it, and goes into my smartcarry. Even under the sweats, shorts, or just over my drawers...it stay safe and sound. Even with the nightly wrestling match with my spunky 5 year-old, and the 'roll-around the floor' with my 15month old.

...which is precisely the reason I carry in the first place.

Urine can make a nice gun look bad in a hurry, even if the contact is accidental. Secondly, I do not want a loaded gun that close to my family jewels. Regards, Richard

Well Endowed?

Quote Originally Posted by richardoldfield View Post
    Urine can make a nice gun look bad in a hurry, even if the contact is accidental. Secondly, I do not want a loaded gun that close to my family jewels. Regards, Richard
    My hat's off to you. Carrying my full size M&P 45, I don't even come close to hanging anything jewel-like under the barrel opening.
    Howard

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links