Why Highride Holsters?

This is a discussion on Why Highride Holsters? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I find that a low ride holster, such as Sparks I-BAK is easier to keep close to the body without an excessively tight belt. I ...

Thread: Why Highride Holsters?

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar

Why Highride Holsters?

I find that a low ride holster, such as Sparks I-BAK is easier to keep close to the body without an excessively tight belt. I also want a holster that the muzzle clears about as the top of the belt line.

I wear the I-BAK and similar holsters and have no cover problems with just a shirt covering when worn outside. I also find that the grip is in just the right place to be most comfortable.

The only disadvantage might be that it makes it difficult to get to my right rear pocket with the low ride holster.

So, have you who prefer high ride ever tried a low ride holster? I do not find it hard to conceal, but might need an inch longer shirt. I would not want a 6 inch barrel, however, but the 3-4 inch barrels do not require a long holster.

High ride holsters are a little more difficult to get to under a shirt, and require more mobility in the shoulder joint. I also find that the belt must be tighter to keep the butt in close to the body.

Thanks,
    Jerry

2. Remove Ads

like the hi ride better because of the rear pocket thing and a lower riding holster can stick out from under a shirt.I can carry most any pistol in a hi ride OWB and keep it hid. jwr

kpw
    I have and use both types. The hi rides work better for longer barreled weapons and when your cover garment isn't real long. Most of my t-shirts might be long enough to cover a low ride holster but they don't allow for much movement without exposure.

Assistant Administrator
    I have some very ''traditional'' rigs which I use for range but Hi-ride for me is mandatory for carry.

Keeps whole deal high enough that gun grips touch my lower ribs, holds in tight and, with adequate cant is an easy draw. Not to mention the concealment benefits, as I use OWB.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array JerryM's Avatar
    Thanks, All.
    That is what I expected, and I sure cannot argue with any individual as to what works best for him.

I went to a funeral today, and decided to wear my Sparks ExC with one of my 1911 compacts. I had forgotten how comfortable the ExC is, and am going to wear it tomorrow to church.
    Of course, the IWB avoids the rear pocket problem, and would also not be subject to being revealed by a short shirt. I may start wearing it more often. I have one for my Kahr P9 that is horsehide.

Thanks again,
    Jerry

VIP Member
    Like P95 mentioned... High Ride also allows you to be able to guard the weapon under arm.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Most of my holsters are of a medium rise variety for OWB. I have done some high rise holsters for some clients (does require a very good belt) but surprisingly lower rise has been more requests for in my The Snap model.

My IWB are medium to low rise (but you can still get a full firing grip) on the gun.

As long as people know what they like and have the appropriate belt to go with a high rise holster then no problem. Had one client that I made a high ride holster for and then he came back for a belt so that it would work for him.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

One reason for a high ride holster is vehicle interior wear. Replace a seat cover out of pocket or mash your fingers on the seat belt realease when you turn around in your car seat while unbuckling in a hurry. Choices for carry are not always for the high noon quick draw comfort, but for the many years of carry without incident or discomfort. Even wearing out (damaging) good clothes have caused a change in what I carried in.
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

High ride is primarily for guns with 5 inch or longer barrels, when you sit down it prevents the end the holster from making contact with whatever you are sitting on - so the holster isn't pushed upwards when you sit down. This means that short barreled guns do not have the same need for a high ride holster.

An unintended consequence of High Ride:

(1) A more comfortable method of IWB carry because less holster is in the pants.
    (2) Less holster in the pants means exposed portion may offset outward from the body - which prevents pinching for overweight people High Ride should be suggested to overweight people, though what works for individuals is individual.
    (3) Women can wear High Ride IWB's easier than low ride IWB's because the steeper curve of their hip would put a low ride into their ribs which is uncomfortable. The ability of "high rides" to be 'pushed out' by the body will facilitate the same comort for women as it does for overweight men.

High ride holsters are primarily for long barreled handguns, fullsize 1911's et all, but they have the added usefulness of comfort for some body types. They are slightly less concealable but that's a trade-off.

My .02

I like to ware motorcycle and or Levi style jackets. So a low ride will easily show when you turn, or bend over. But, I don’t like the extreme high ride holsters because the gun will poke ya in the ribs. So I prefer something in the middle.

I am thinking a picture is worth a 1,000 words. It didn't take me long to figure out that a handgun with a shorter barrel is easier to conceal. These are both Milt Sparks Mirage holsters. Regards, Richard

Links