Safepacker or ???? type rig.

This is a discussion on Safepacker or ???? type rig. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Was considering this type of rig, and had a few questions. It would be for a Kimber Tac-Ultra to keep in the car, and occasionaly ...

Thread: Safepacker or ???? type rig.

Safepacker or ???? type rig.

Was considering this type of rig, and had a few questions. It would be for a Kimber Tac-Ultra to keep in the car, and occasionaly talke down when going into a store or resteraunt. What's the verdict? Anybody use em, like or dislike them, any add-on's or features worth getting, or that I should avoid? Maybe something similar in leather would be nice. Who makes the nicest version?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    A Safepacker is a wonderfully convenient way for the burglar who breaks into your car to tote your Kimber. Better to tote the Safepacker yourself, and not leave it in the car. The Safepacker is a very good product, and if you keep it clean, it will look nice enough to carry just about everywhere. Contrary to what the anti-gun crowd on this forum might want to say, the public will not be alarmed by a Safepacker, as almost nobody has any idea it is made for carrying weapons. Well, perhaps if a guy dresses like some kind of commando, people will make the association. The Safepacker seems to look like a "man bag" or something made to carry electronic gear. Keep in mind, as with any off-body carry, that it may become the target of a snatch attempt. I use a Safepacker quite often, but also wear a small but substantial weapon on my person. My older Safepacker is Colt Commander sized, which means I have had it at well over ten years, because I have not carried a Commander-sized 1911 since 1997. My newer one is Government +1", used to carry 4" sixguns.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    A Safepacker is a wonderfully convenient way for the burglar who breaks into your car to tote your Kimber. Better to tote the Safepacker yourself, and not leave it in the car. The Safepacker is a very good product, and if you keep it clean, it will look nice enough to carry just about everywhere. Contrary to what the anti-gun crowd on this forum might want to say, the public will not be alarmed by a Safepacker, as almost nobody has any idea it is made for carrying weapons. Well, perhaps if a guy dresses like some kind of commando, people will make the association. The Safepacker seems to look like a "man bag" or something made to carry electronic gear. Keep in mind, as with any off-body carry, that it may become the target of a snatch attempt. I use a Safepacker quite often, but also wear a small but substantial weapon on my person. My older Safepacker is Colt Commander sized, which means I have had it at well over ten years, because I have not carried a Commander-sized 1911 since 1997. My newer one is Government +1", used to carry 4" sixguns.
    There's an anti gun crowd on this forum?

For the OP:
    I use a a holster designed for sitting which is easily added or removed from the belt. I have seen several different makes, like Andrews Leather or Ross Leather (the one I use).

I also have a Safepacker, but I use it for different situations. That's just me, I think the Safepacker is a great 'car holster'. Just be sure to lock the weapon up somehow.
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

The Safepacker takes two hands and extra time to access your weapon. Not ideal in an emergency defensive situation.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexster View Post
    A Safepacker is a wonderfully convenient way for the burglar who breaks into your car to tote your Kimber. Better to tote the Safepacker yourself, and not leave it in the car.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    The Safepacker takes two hands and extra time to access your weapon. Not ideal in an emergency defensive situation.

Well, unfortunately, my job requires I enter and leave hospitals and government buildings numerous times daily, all of wich are posted forbidding consealed carry, and crawling with Sheeple some of whom have already freaked over my simply carrying a small pocket knife,

I can't even imagine their reaction if they where to notice me taking a gun off my belt and securing in my vehicle before walking in. It would make no difference that it was legal or that I have a carry permit, these folks don't care about my rights, or the law. Laws are only tools, that they abuse at will, to bully others. At the very least, my job would certainly be forfit, and more than likely my freedom as well. Law enforcement, would also certainly ignore my rights, and selectively enforce any laws reguarding the right to carry. I have absolutely zero faith that law enforcement would ever do the right thing in that reguard. I need something that renders it completely unidentifiable should someone observe me remove it from my belt, or take it out of a larger bag and secure it somewhere else. If anyone can think of a better carry option given the circumstance, please suggest it.
    Last edited by JDBraddy; March 2nd, 2008 at 08:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post

Negative. The Safepacker is operated with one hand. It is a tad slow, though.

See here.

I have one, and use it when I don't what to get all geared up. Also work great for hiking, and biking.

Slower than on the belt carry, yes. But works well for what it is designed for.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Opened with one hand, weapon drawn with the second=two hands.
    Drawn from the holster=one hand.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Did you watch the linked video?

There are three segments:

#1 the fellow is holding the SP in one hand and draws using the other hand.

#2 the fellow has the SP attached to his belt and draws the gun with one hand.

#3 the fellow has the SP on with the optional shoulder strap. He draws the gun with only one hand.

Therefore the SP can be used one handed just like most any holster or fanny pack out there.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The buckle on the Safepacker rig is actually quite fast. I have never used a tuckable rig, but I would think a weapon can be producd from a Safepacker much more quickly than a weapon carried in a tuckable rig, and those are certainly popular lately. One tip for speed with the Safepacker is to move up one size; that is, if you have a 1911 Government, use a Government +1" Safepacker. This strategy may not work with all weapon combos, but it does with 1911 pistols, IMHO.

Footslogger, there is a contingent on here who is vocally against belt pouch rigs, fanny pack rigs, and such, who love to point out that such carry methods give away the fact one is armed, and I have taken to calling them the anti-gun crowd. Since adopting this terminology, I have noticed less attacks from them. I have probably cursed myself by saying this now, but I have said it.

JDBraddy, I empathize with your need to disarm and leave your weapon inside your vehicle. I do advise being cognizant of the risk of vehicle burglary, which is rampant in urban areas. High risk areas include the parking lots of establishments outside places where weapons may not be carried. I type more BMV reports than all other incident reports combined. It is not unusual to arrive at one BMV call, to discover a dozen or more burglarized cars. One recent BMV involved the taking of all the heavy weapons and call-up equipment of a SWAT officer from a nearby city. HE, of all people, should have known better than to park on the blind side of a restaurant during happy hour. I have lost count of the FBI vehicles burglarized in the area, which puts another 10mm MP5 on the street. Please, guys and gals, if you must leave a weapon inside a car, secure it inside something that locks, or use a revolver, and secure it to a seat bracket or something with a bicycle lock.

Links