Considering a cheap, IWB for my 1911

This is a discussion on Considering a cheap, IWB for my 1911 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering buying a cheap, cloth IWB for my 1911. My reasoning is as follows: when I carry my 1911 I'm looking to take advanatage ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering a cheap, IWB for my 1911

Considering a cheap, IWB for my 1911

I'm considering buying a cheap, cloth IWB for my 1911. My reasoning is as follows: when I carry my 1911 I'm looking to take advanatage of how thin the pistol is (vs all my tuperware), a thin holster adds to this. Furtheremore, while I own and carry with several kydex holsters, (despite my best efforts to keep the pistol and the holster clean) all my glocks are scratched from the kydex. I don't like leather as I find it too hard to break in and I feel like I can't get the clean release of kydex, plus leather adds some bulk.

With my glocks and M&P I would not consider cloth because of the concern of an AD caused by the trigger catching the cloth. But, with the 1911's safties I think a cloth holster (or even Mexican style if needed) would be safe.

Any thoughts? Will I regret an el cheapo? Do you think they are unsafe?

Thanks!!

2. Remove Ads

You will sorry if you buy ...a cheap, cloth IWB ..." You went out and bought a nice S&W 1911, you and it deserve better. Part of the joy of a new leather holster is breaking it in, this process lets you get to know the holster. Regards, Richard

Uncle Mikes = Junk
    They sell holsters in generic "size categories" that fit nothing well. If you want thin with a kydex-style hold/release, check out Kramer's horsehide models. Thinner than kydex, yet comfortable to wear. Carry gear is NOT the area to cheap out! Don't forget the all important gun belt matched to the holster loops.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Get a quality holster & don't look back. Otherwise, you will need a bigger holster drawer (like the rest of us). I have recently had the joy of becoming a fan of Milt Sparks products.

If you don't want to spend much & want a thin holster, look at some of the High Noon holsters. I have a Mr Softy for my Glock 26 & it is really thin.

It's true, you'll regret going cheap. Also, the objections you've listed for leather holsters (too bulky, retention, clean draw) don't apply to a high quality hand-made leather holster. I strongly recommend you consider a quality leather IWB, and specifically recommend the Brommeland Max Con V. It is worth the investment, and addresses all your concerns.
    Under the sword lifted high, there is Hell, making you tremble. But go ahead, and you have the land of Bliss.

~ Miyamoto Musashi

I'd rather spend money on a top quality holster & belt to carry a S&W 5 shot snubbie than spend all the money on a handgun that I intend on carrying in a cheap holster and a $5 belt.

If your gun shifts position significantly, becomes exposed or worse, falls out...you loose.

Spend $50 and get a decent holster from DeSantis or Galco if you don't want to buy something custom but want leather.

When carrying you gun, its only your life depending on the holster & belt to keep the gun accessible & retained.

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

I love my Crossbreed IWB holster for my 1911. It's not as pretty as my MTac but it is more comfortable because of the larger size of leather. It was cheaper then the MTac too.

Links

Thanks guys, just what I needed. I'll forget about getting a cheap one and go leather.

I'll update the thread when I pick up a new holster.

VIP Member
    Don Hume holsters seem to be fairly inexpensive for the quality:

DonHume.com

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Mass Diver,

Just cause of the word cheap does not mean its not quality. We have these 4 lines that will blow your mind in quality for the money. Its stiff leather but thin, not the roll it up in your had suade. Super high quality reverse J hook. 30 day money back guarantee. Stocking items. If it does not do the job, just send it back!!!! What the worst that can happen to you? You love the holster and it works for you.

Bare Asset
    Mr Softy
    Split Decision
    Hidden Ally
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

+1 on Don Hume. Just because they are inexpensive does not mean that they are cheap. Guner's Alley usually has pretty good prices on Don Hume. I prefer the snap on, but the clip on is good too.
    "To be prepared for war is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace" George Washington

Why would you do something like that to a beautiful weapon like that S&W......what did it ever do to you?!

A quality holster is not that much thicker than an el cheapo to make the difference noticeable. Buy the el cheapo and before much longer you will be buying a quality holster. Ther are MANY folks on this forum who can attest to that. However that will be a good start for your box of old holsters that you don't use anymore and regret buying (that many of us have.)
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

If you can afford a $200+ Skirmish, you can afford a nice holster. Spending $100 on a quality holster is money well spent IMO.

Austin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links