How to break in leather holster

This is a discussion on How to break in leather holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just purchased my first OWB leather holster (Don Hume) for my p229. Leather is very stiff and tight. Looking for advice on how to it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to break in leather holster

Just purchased my first OWB leather holster (Don Hume) for my p229. Leather is very stiff and tight. Looking for advice on how to it break in.

Should I use neatsfoot oil on the leather, or would it be bad for the gun?

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Just purchased my first OWB leather holster (Don Hume) for my p229. Leather is very stiff and tight. Looking for advice on how to it break in.

Should I use neatsfoot oil on the leather, or would it be bad for the gun?
    You should NOT use neatsfoot oil on your holster. Never.

Break it in by repetitive drawing of the (empty) pistol from the holster. Give it time. It'll get there.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    You might check their web site for info or a place you can contact them. Some holster maker have you wrap the gun in wax paper and leave the weapon in overnight. Not sure about the oil. Lots of info comes here, most of it very good. Stay tuned.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Put gun in and wear it!
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Thats A FAQ for us, hope this helps.

Questions

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    You can wet the holster with hot water till it softens up. Put your gun, unloaded, in a plastic bag (Like the one a newspaper is delivered in) and stick it in the holster for about 5 hours or over night. Take the gun out and stick the holster next to a vent. Make 100% sure it is fully dried before you stick your gun in it. After doing that, make sure your gun is empty and practice drawing and reholstering, it will loosen up. Once dried, it will be as hard formed as it was before.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    You can wet the holster with hot water till it softens up. Put your gun, unloaded, in a plastic bag (Like the one a newspaper is delivered in) and stick it in the holster for about 5 hours or over night. Take the gun out and stick the holster next to a vent. Make 100% sure it is fully dried before you stick your gun in it. After doing that, make sure your gun is empty and practice drawing and reholstering, it will loosen up. Once dried, it will be as hard formed as it was before.
    Not a good idea unless you plan on ruining a completely good holster.....

If it is tight, put the gun in a plastic bags and leave it for a couple of hours. If it is still to tight for your gun, then wrap the gun in plastic wrap, put it in the plastic bag and let it sit for a couple of hours.]

Still to tight? Then sorry to say, but you must be trying to fit your gun in a holster meant for some other gun.
    www.RKBAholsters.com

Check it out for quality reasonably priced leather and kydex Pocket, IWB and OWB Holsters......

Member Array Bluegrass Holsters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stmcelroy View Post
    Not a good idea unless you plan on ruining a completely good holster.....

If it is tight, put the gun in a plastic bags and leave it for a couple of hours. If it is still to tight for your gun, then wrap the gun in plastic wrap, put it in the plastic bag and let it sit for a couple of hours.]

Still to tight? Then sorry to say, but you must be trying to fit your gun in a holster meant for some other gun.
    I have to agree here....while you "may" get something acceptable, the greater chance is that you have just ruined your holster.

Holsters....quality holsters, have a high degree of retention (tightness) right from the start. No repeated holsters and reholsterings take place in the shop. A few insertions for fitting and finishing and that is all. I intentionally make my holsters tight....so that YOU can have the pleasure of "breaking it in". Once the holster conforms to your firearm (ie the sharp edges wear themselves in) you will notice a little relief.

Also, please remember that when the SHTF you will likely not notice your holster being tight. The holsters are designed to provide retention of a specific firearm through the molding and stitching or that specific holster. Using a firearm for which the holster is not designed can damage the holster and is cause for voiding a warranty with most makers.

All of this being said, Sparks has a lubricant that he sells and Galco has something they sell, too. I have not used either product, however I have used a silicone (food grade) spray in the past with good results. Simply hold the holster horizontally and give a very short spray into the holster mouth and then leave the spray alone...put it down! Allow the spray to sit there a few seconds and holster your firearm and begin the drawing process. Of course you can use the wax paper trick or the plastic trick. When using the last two understand that stretching a holster is permanent....and since it is something you are doing for a personal benefit the holster will usually be unreturnable to most makers.

Hope this helps.....

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi.45 View Post
    Put gun in and wear it!
    Yep That is the best way. If you impatient then bend the leather along the stitching lines to break it in faster. This is what the wearing will do.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Instant gratification.

We're conditioned nowadays to be instantly happy. Gunleather is a product of a hundred years ago. The good stuff, anyway.

Buy a good holster, the best gunbelt you can afford (I like Wilderness 5-stitch), and wear it. To break it in faster, wear it more often.

Quick break in procedures often compromise the retention qualities of an otherwise well made holster. A broken in holster should fit your handgun like a glove, not the hand that rolled the stitching or the plastic bag that bunches up around the edges.

I had to use a plastic bag (thinner than Ziplock brand) to open up my Fatti. It was painful to upholster while wearing. Better to air on the side of caution, can't shrink it as easily as opening it up.

Thanks for all the good info. Think I will just take my time and let things happen as they will.

Again thanks, I knew you guys would come through.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Brommeland says wrap it in wax paper and let it sit in the holster overnight. Then practice drawing the pistol.

As you wear it on your belt, the leather will do what leather does. Conform to you.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    You should NOT use neatsfoot oil on your holster. Never.

Break it in by repetitive drawing of the (empty) pistol from the holster. Give it time. It'll get there.
    I was just wondering ... not disagreeing here, just wondering.

I know there used to be an issue with Neatsfoot oil on the old blued-finished guns ... but was of the understanding that it no longer applied in terms of hurting the finish on the newer, "coated" and guns?

BTW, the Mitch Rosen product: miscellaneous

Seems like it is more of a "surface treatment" and that worries me insomuch as it might attract grit, et al, especially in sandy environments.

I worry a whole lot more about attracting sandy grit, to the inside of the holster, where I live, than anything else.
    What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links