Defensive Carry banner

Fanny Packs

4K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  JerryM 
#1 ·
My wife is interested in a fanny pack for her Beretta Tomcat .32. Does anyone have any advice for her on a style or brand? Thank You.

#4 ·
I'm not really a 'fanny pack' fan, but my wife would not use a holster. She just wanted to put a pistol in her purse...sometimes she would take it, most times...not.

Then we were in a leather shop one day and I spotted a flat 2-small zipper leather pouch...just big enough to quickly unzip and pull out her KelTec. The second zipper holds her extra mag and ID.
This pouch/pack is very flat and usually fits right under a shirt not tucked in...can't really even see the pack. She loves it and takes it everywhere. I feel much better knowing that she leaves her purse behind now, almost always has her leather pouch and her KT with her.:hand10:

#5 ·
Tomcat .32

My wife carries hers in a pouch from Bagmaster. Hers is purple, unfortunately discontinued in that color, but we have found and stockpiled a couple by searching gun shows, etc. Basic black is still in stock here:
BAGMASTER - Quality Bags, Cases and Holsters

Hers is "belt pistol pack small" and can attach with a spring steel clip, belt loops, or ALICE clips. When she had to take her gun on and off frequently she used the clip, if not the ALICE clips or belt loops are more secure. Better if she didn't plan on taking it off, or was wearing a good belt for the day. It's plenty big enough for the gun, some cash and two spare magazines, and the quality is fine. I imagine a camera, Blackberry, or Ipod sticker on the outside could make it even more camoflaged, too. If she dosen't feel like carrying her Glock, this is her favorite set up.

#8 ·
Having been an LEO during the Fanny Pack craze, I have a very definite opinion on fanny packs. DON'T.

Fanny packs are LEO wear. Period. For bad guys, all they signify is "Shoot me first". Give me an IWB or Ankle holster if you're going to carry CCW. Being "made" is alot more than imprinting.

I'm not a Fanny Pack fan.

#19 ·
Somehow I think this depends greatly on what part of the Country you are in. Fanny packs here don't seem to get a second look. We get a lot of European visitors who carry their wallets/papers in some sort of fanny pack or across the shoulder bag (both males and females). LEOs here rarely carry off-duty (strongly discouraged by department policies), etc.

#9 ·
Dead giveaway, maybe not quite so bad on a woman. Still takes two hands to operate. If you do get one, make sure it's a dedicated quick release holster bag, not just some generic one. Again, Coronado makes great stuff, and has some wonderful holster purses also with a dedicated holster opening.

#12 ·
Bought a green Tommy's Original Gun Pack for my wife - the belt is very wide and gobs more comfortable for her than a standard pack, and the opening trick is fast and easy-to-use. To be sure, an SP101 is a tad heavier than a Tomcat so the belt width may not be as imporant for your wife, but we really like the pack. The different colors also reduce the "hey, dudes - I'm carrying" effect.

#13 ·
A fanny pack does not say "shoot me first", unless it is black and leather (even then, not so much). Me, I think a bulge on the waist under clothes screams "I've got a gun" (or "I've got a colostomy bag").

Everyone agrees that you can't outdraw a BG with the drop on you, so the fact it isn't as fast as a holster really isn't a problem.

Bottom line, carrying in a fanny pack is better than not carrying.

#14 ·
Fanny packs can be a good option.

Where I live it seems 10% of the population wears one so mine does not stand out. And when I wear my longer shirts it is hidden away for even more concealment.

I like my Tommy's Pack it allows fast access and is well made, which is the exact opposite of the Uncle Mike's pack. That was just a pile of crap. The belt was too thin the closure was velcro which was hard to open and impossible to open quietly. And the velcro did not allow for a uniform closing it would end up all puckered off line. Just a horrible pack, avoid it.

#15 ·
Fanny packs are easier to steal than a wallet for a pickpocket. Most have a nylon snap devise which can be easily undone. Even if you feel it coming off, it's gone unless you can outrun and fight the thief.

#17 ·
That's a great design. I love Coronado Leather's stuff. My girlfriend bought a dedicated holster purse from them at the SHOT Show. The straps have a braided steel cable sewn into them so nobody can cut the strap and run off.

#18 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. The fanny pack would be for spring to fall when she is wearing her summer clothing. Most of what she wears in the summer make it impossible to hide the Tomcat in her pocket and she can't stand carrying on her hip. Many women around here wear a fanny pack in the summer, especially mothers. We just weren't sure who made quality fanny packs for women carrying.

#20 ·
Another vote for Tommys Gun Pack. I have worn my several times, nobody has given it a second glance. I carry wallet, keys, etc in the front compartments. It's great for hiking.

I'm sorry, but I don't buy the advice about not wearing fanny packs, vests, etc. I've tried all of them on different occasions and nobody has ever second glanced any of them, not even LEOs. The key is to get something that you can also carry your wallet, keys, necessary medications, etc in and noone will notice.

#21 ·
I sometimes wear a fanny pack. However, I learned something about how to wear one a few months ago.

Just using the fanny pack belt ends up with the pack sagging some. I was at the range and tried to see how long it would take to draw from it. When I attempted to rip the zipper open the pack was not stable enough to rip open. It took 4.5 seconds to draw the gun. Not exactly Hickock speed.

So now if I wear one it is attached to by belt in addition to the pack belt. That keeps it tight enough to rip open. I never timed it after that.

I have seen LEOs wearing them with the pack sagging.

Regards,
Jerry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.