Fanny Packs

Fanny Packs

This is a discussion on Fanny Packs within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife is interested in a fanny pack for her Beretta Tomcat .32. Does anyone have any advice for her on a style or brand? ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fanny Packs

Fanny Packs

My wife is interested in a fanny pack for her Beretta Tomcat .32. Does anyone have any advice for her on a style or brand? Thank You.

I bought one for my wife, she has NEVER worn it.
    My lesson: Just let her pick out what she likes.
    Start at Walmart ($3) and go up from there.

I'm not really a 'fanny pack' fan, but my wife would not use a holster. She just wanted to put a pistol in her purse...sometimes she would take it, most times...not.

Then we were in a leather shop one day and I spotted a flat 2-small zipper leather pouch...just big enough to quickly unzip and pull out her KelTec. The second zipper holds her extra mag and ID.
    This pouch/pack is very flat and usually fits right under a shirt not tucked in...can't really even see the pack. She loves it and takes it everywhere. I feel much better knowing that she leaves her purse behind now, almost always has her leather pouch and her KT with her.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Tomcat .32

My wife carries hers in a pouch from Bagmaster. Hers is purple, unfortunately discontinued in that color, but we have found and stockpiled a couple by searching gun shows, etc. Basic black is still in stock here:
    BAGMASTER - Quality Bags, Cases and Holsters

Hers is "belt pistol pack small" and can attach with a spring steel clip, belt loops, or ALICE clips. When she had to take her gun on and off frequently she used the clip, if not the ALICE clips or belt loops are more secure. Better if she didn't plan on taking it off, or was wearing a good belt for the day. It's plenty big enough for the gun, some cash and two spare magazines, and the quality is fine. I imagine a camera, Blackberry, or Ipod sticker on the outside could make it even more camoflaged, too. If she dosen't feel like carrying her Glock, this is her favorite set up.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Coronado makes some nice fanny pack/holsters.

I've used a small camera bag/pouch from Walmart for a Beretta Tomcat (nice pistol, by the way). My wife reinforced the stitching on the belt loop. Works well, but not the fastest to draw from.

Having been an LEO during the Fanny Pack craze, I have a very definite opinion on fanny packs. DON'T.

Fanny packs are LEO wear. Period. For bad guys, all they signify is "Shoot me first". Give me an IWB or Ankle holster if you're going to carry CCW. Being "made" is alot more than imprinting.

I'm not a Fanny Pack fan.

Dead giveaway, maybe not quite so bad on a woman. Still takes two hands to operate. If you do get one, make sure it's a dedicated quick release holster bag, not just some generic one. Again, Coronado makes great stuff, and has some wonderful holster purses also with a dedicated holster opening.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Tommy's Gun Pack - several links below for the company and what others say.

same as used by some Fed's and Deputies, I know.

tommy's gun pack - Google Search

Is she sold on using a fanny pack? I use this IWB from WRBUSA.com with my tomcat -- it's invisible and easy to get to.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Bought a green Tommy's Original Gun Pack for my wife - the belt is very wide and gobs more comfortable for her than a standard pack, and the opening trick is fast and easy-to-use. To be sure, an SP101 is a tad heavier than a Tomcat so the belt width may not be as imporant for your wife, but we really like the pack. The different colors also reduce the "hey, dudes - I'm carrying" effect.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    A fanny pack does not say "shoot me first", unless it is black and leather (even then, not so much). Me, I think a bulge on the waist under clothes screams "I've got a gun" (or "I've got a colostomy bag").

Everyone agrees that you can't outdraw a BG with the drop on you, so the fact it isn't as fast as a holster really isn't a problem.

Bottom line, carrying in a fanny pack is better than not carrying.

Fanny packs can be a good option.

Where I live it seems 10% of the population wears one so mine does not stand out. And when I wear my longer shirts it is hidden away for even more concealment.

I like my Tommy's Pack it allows fast access and is well made, which is the exact opposite of the Uncle Mike's pack. That was just a pile of crap. The belt was too thin the closure was velcro which was hard to open and impossible to open quietly. And the velcro did not allow for a uniform closing it would end up all puckered off line. Just a horrible pack, avoid it.

Fanny packs are easier to steal than a wallet for a pickpocket. Most have a nylon snap devise which can be easily undone. Even if you feel it coming off, it's gone unless you can outrun and fight the thief.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links