Stupid Question about Paddle Holsters...

This is a discussion on Stupid Question about Paddle Holsters... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, So on the recommendations of a bunch of the members of this forum (because I trust you guys THAT much)... I purchased a Fobus ...

Thread: Stupid Question about Paddle Holsters...

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar

Stupid Question about Paddle Holsters...

OK,

So on the recommendations of a bunch of the members of this forum (because I trust you guys THAT much)... I purchased a Fobus paddle holster. Got it today.

My question is this, where is the paddle supposed to go? IWB? or inside the belt, but outside the pants?

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

2. Remove Ads

inside the pants ...yuck fobus should have got a uncle mikes :)

VIP Member
    For the money Fobus works great, once you learn the trick to drawing straight out. The rivets are plenty strong unless you want to play rugby with it. a couple of flush head bolts w/washers secured by locknuts can reinforce it. That's what you get in the price range. It'll work great until you find out if that's how you're comfortable. Plus it won't take up much space in your holster drawer afterwards. :)
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Thanks guys,

Bud, 6 and 1/2 dozen :) It's only for around the house, as my state doesn't recognize the "needs" of the common person for self defense...hell, we had to FIGHT to get the campus POLICE officers armed..

yeah...

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well Fobus is not a bad "inexpensive" paddle if thats what you want.

There is a trick if its too tight for you......warm it up with hot water for a minute or two to soften the plastic and stick you gun in it...it will loosen up just a tad.

Shoot well.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Assistant Administrator
    Jim - paddle inside pants - and those ''nibs'' should help engage on the lower part of belt line as it affects the inside, to help it stay in place. It is useful to be able to slide it to exact location required without having to have belt loops mess you about.

I used Fobus for P95 early on - and developed what I have I think described before, as my ''inertial'' draw. All that is, is a very decisive and very brisk action to break the retension hold.

Eric's trick too with hot water is a good way to gain a small change too if needed. I am sure this will serve its purpose very adequately.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Plus, it's pretty amazing what ArmorAll does to slick up a Kydex holster. Plus, Fobus themselves recommends a blow dryer to loosen particular areas up if the gun drags or if the retention is too tight.

For what you are using it for, around the house, it should be fine. However, after just recently learning that Fobus paddles can break from falling on them (like in a scuffle or accidental fall) and they are prone to break in gun retention drills, I have put my Fobus paddles away until I can confirm or refute the claims. The claims come from many sources over many years. I am concerned now that they may be true.

Talking Gotta have a BELT

Quote Originally Posted by firefighter4884
    OK,

So on the recommendations of a bunch of the members of this forum (because I trust you guys THAT much)... I purchased a Fobus paddle holster. Got it today.

My question is this, where is the paddle supposed to go? IWB? or inside the belt, but outside the pants?

--Jim
    To answer your question, I think it's supposed to go inside the waist band and clamp onto the fabric or the belt. If worn ouside the waistband there must BE a belt to clamp onto, if you see what I mean.

I have two FOBUS and they're fine for what they do. I use one for IDPA competitions and one for OWB wear where I think I may have to remove gun and holster at some point. I REALLY like my BLADE-TECH holsters! But they're more expensive, albeit higher quality.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

There is a video on one of the LEO boards...

...that shows a disarm of someone wearing a Fobus. The BG comes in from behind, grabs the gun and rotates the grip down. The holster breaks away from the attachment part and the BG ends up with the gun and holster.

Makes a nice "cheap" holster (I bought a left handed one for the left handed holster requirement of LFI 3) but I don't think I'd carry in one (if I lived in America with a c).

By the way, this may not be a problem with the paddle holster because the paddle may move and not break away, but...
    Last edited by grnzbra; September 13th, 2005 at 04:45 PM. Reason: afterthought
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

I've got one for my J Frame. Works well and seems to be holding up after a year of occasional use.

I'm not as concerned about the disarming technique listed above as I do not open carry and the holster is always under a shirt, vest or jacket. They have to see it to grab it.
    Randy
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar

New Slant On Fobus Paddle

Try this out. Clip the paddle part back to where you have a thin piece behind the holster then clip the paddle away to where it's just below the belt clips. This still holds the pistol close to you and gets the paddle out of the way. You can slip this on or off quickly. I skip the side belt loop when I put on my belt,as this lets me slide the holster forward or backwards as needed to be comfertable. I carry 1911's, Glock23, S&Wsv40, Para-WartHog this way. Just slip on any tee shirt or shirt that's outside of pants.

Quote Originally Posted by AnimalKracker
    Try this out. Clip the paddle part back to where you have a thin piece behind the holster then clip the paddle away to where it's just below the belt clips. This still holds the pistol close to you and gets the paddle out of the way. You can slip this on or off quickly. I skip the side belt loop when I put on my belt,as this lets me slide the holster forward or backwards as needed to be comfertable. I carry 1911's, Glock23, S&Wsv40, Para-WartHog this way. Just slip on any tee shirt or shirt that's outside of pants.

Kracker,

Are you suggesting I cut the paddle off the holster?

--Jim

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ka0azs
    ...I'm not as concerned about the disarming technique listed above as I do not open carry and the holster is always under a shirt, vest or jacket. They have to see it to grab it.
    Well, that's what I kept thinking, then somebody mentioned if you are in a struggle they may "discover" your concealed gun and try a grab.

Then I heard about a guy who fell and when he got up his 1911 was in his Fobus holster, but both holster and gun were on the ground and the paddle was in his pants!

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AnimalKracker
    If I resurrect my Fobus holsters, I may have to try that. I've got one (for the H&K USP) that kicks the muzzle outward and it's clear that the lower part of the paddle excerbates this. That may fix the problem and I see no reason why cutting the paddle would cause other problems.

Links