GALCO NSAII and Skyops Holsters

This is a discussion on GALCO NSAII and Skyops Holsters within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With all the horror stories I've been reading about buying a custom holster (horrendous waiting periods and customer service) I've decided to get a couple ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GALCO NSAII and Skyops Holsters

GALCO NSAII and Skyops Holsters

With all the horror stories I've been reading about buying a custom holster (horrendous waiting periods and customer service) I've decided to get a couple of Galco holsters for my Commander and XD 45s. Both are ambidextrous and IWB. A local gunshop sells the Skyops and their customers love it. While I'd love a Milt Sparx VMII, I need something now, and don't want to wait months (if not years) to get something. Galco is a reputable company and it gives me the chance to get something that will do in a pinch. If I don't like them I can always order a custom holster and wait the long periods while at least having a holster in the meantime.

Anyone have a NSAII and/or Skyops??

Thanks
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

2. Remove Ads

The skyops seem nice, I tried the NSAII, not for me. I want the support on the belt it hangs on your pants with belt over it and with shipping would still cost you over $75.00. I would try this one it's in stock, great quality and tuckable. If you don't like it send it back, but it would work will you order a custom. my .02
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    ...I tried the NSAII, not for me. I want the support on the belt it hangs on your pants with belt over it ....
    Ditto.: on the NSA II. The single clip (j-hook) just didn't work well for me using it with a steel framed 5" gun. If you have an alloy framed Commander, it may be better. For me the rig kept sliding around and there was no real retention to keep the holster in my pants when drawing on one occasion the clip slipped under my belt and the whole rig cam out with the gun.

I will say that the NSA II did better when wearing slacks or other dress trousers, but it was horrible when I used it in jeans.

I think I still have mine in the holster drawer some place.

There are still a few holster makers delivering on time, UBG is one of them, my wife has one of his rigs, and I have a Canute on order. Current turn around time is 4-6 weeks which is pretty darn good, and the price is about equal to Galco.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    I would try this one it's in stock, great quality and tuckable. If you don't like it send it back, but it would work will you order a custom. my .02
    Seems like a nice holster-- but turnaround time of 20-25 weeks? I'm going to call them- hopefully they'll have it in stock for me (lefty). It sucks being left handed. No way I'll wait 25 weeks for a holster. If I have to I'll modify the Galco model with the proper clips so it does stay on my belt. The Skyops is very nice, but you have to use a 1 1/4 in belt.
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

I ordered the Bare Asset from High Noon and received it within about a week.

Bare Asset

If you read his website, custom holsters take a long time, but in stock is pretty quick

Just called to guy at high noon, and they have nothing in stock for me. Looks like I'll get the SkyOps, and order what I really want afterwards and put up with the wait. At least I'll have something for IWB carry until then.
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

I use a sky ops for my P220, my wife does not even know I am carrying often unless she bumps me. Great how shirts tuck in and it is a stable platform to carry your pistol.

We Documented those J hooks/clips on our site. Here are some pics. We use a reverse J hook, it never fails. Questions

Take Care
    Justin
    Last edited by High Noon; March 4th, 2008 at 06:52 PM. Reason: delete quote
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

Skyops is fine for a tempoary solution, thats what I used it for
    But then when my first real holster came in from k&D, I chucked the skyops
    The J hook is kind of real cheap quality plastic, and most of all you can forget about reholstering if you have to draw It totally crushes closed
    as in flat, as in shoe horn is needed.

But it got me through so it served its purpose
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

I have a Galco SCOUT holster with a J-hook right now for my BHP.

I hate it. It's going to be leaving when I get my new holster. The J-Hook is ridiculous. It pulls my pants down even with a double thick high quality belt.

Thumbs down SkyOps?

To ME, the SkyOps was unworkable. Access was extremely difficult as the thing would move ALL over th place. The hooks for the belt pop off when sitting-did I mention the things moves all over the place?

Granted the holster was designed for Sky Marshalls (or so the copy stated) deep cover, no need for reholstering...Since I'm not a marshall it didn't work for me at all.

It now lives in the "Land of the Misfit Holsters"
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

It's a shame about the Skyops good basic design just bad parts.
    They could of done so much with it; like use good solid metal instead of the cheapest of floppy plastics for the belt clip, and if they just added a little bit around the top mouth to hold the holster open it would be fine. but not as is!

I gave it to my german shepherd dog she made a chew toy out of it
    She seemed to like it and held up much better for her then me
    In God we trust, Everyone else we monitor...

Well I bought the Skyops today. Only bad thing is that it tore up my 5.11 belt pretty good. The belt is lined in plastic and the clips shaved the top edges of the belt. The belt is very stiff so the clips will not pop out as some of you mentioned. I tried everything, and they will not pop out. Yeah, it will be hard to reholster, but I am only worried about getting it out. If I have to unholster, reholstering will be the least of my worries. :)

It will do until I order my VMII.

The Skyops is overpriced in my opinion, but what is a lefty to do? I mean I needed something tuckable- now.

Another good thing is that I found a nice gunshop in New Orleans (10-8 tactical supply). The guys there are friendly and really try to make sure you get what you want. I needed a new belt and one of the guys steered me to one of the lesser expensive models he thought was a better deal.

I thought about ordering the holster recommended from highnoon, but I can't imagine waiting 25 weeks for a holster that I'm not sure I'll like. I like the holster, but I have to see it first hand before buying. I'd go nuts waiting over half a year and then not liking it. I figure if I'm gonna wait that long I might as well order what I really want in the first place- the VMII by Milt Sparks.
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
    Skyops is fine for a tempoary solution, thats what I used it for
    But then when my first real holster came in from k&D, I chucked the skyops
    The J hook is kind of real cheap quality plastic, and most of all you can forget about reholstering if you have to draw It totally crushes closed
    as in flat, as in shoe horn is needed.

But it got me through so it served its purpose
    Same here, bad juju. If you want something quickly, Comp-Tac has some good options, I just ordered an MTAC. Or contact Brock at Bluegrass Holsters and Sheaths, he's got some great work as I just ordered a M-D convertible
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    Same here, bad juju. If you want something quickly, Comp-Tac has some good options, I just ordered an MTAC. Or contact Brock at Bluegrass Holsters and Sheaths, he's got some great work as I just ordered a M-D convertible
    Yea, Give brock a call His work looks very good, and he is a great guy to talk to!! He can probably make you happy alot faster!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links