PT1911 carry suggestions?

This is a discussion on PT1911 carry suggestions? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just bought a PT1911 (full size 5" 1911 45ACP). Looking for suggestions as to best options for CCW - both IWB and OWB. Here's ...

Thread: PT1911 carry suggestions?

I just bought a PT1911 (full size 5" 1911 45ACP). Looking for suggestions as to best options for CCW - both IWB and OWB. Here's my situation:
    -average build
    -southpaw (I'm worried that the ambi-safety on thePT1911 will dig into my back carrying IWB)
    -never carried a 1911 before
    -I have a CompTac paddle and C-Tac for other pistols and like their products but am open to others

So just how realistic is it to CCW a full size 1911 wearing normal jackets and shirts?

Thanks for all your opinions/suggestions.

So just how realistic is it to CCW a full size 1911 wearing normal jackets and shirts
    Very realistic! I carry my full size 1911 under T-shirts all the time. It hides quite well and is very comfy IWB in my Crossbreed Supertuck. The holster has a leather backing that protects you completely from the edges of the gun.

Thanks for the pics- although it looks like the grip digs into your side. How comfy is it when you're sitting down, say driving?

although it looks like the grip digs into your side.
    I think I was twisting a bit in the pic (looking at the camera). It doesn't dig into my side at all. I have a desk job, so I spend eight hours a day sitting down with no comfort problems at all.

Good luck--

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vashooter View Post
    I just bought a PT1911 (full size 5" 1911 45ACP). Looking for suggestions as to best options for CCW - both IWB and OWB. Here's my situation:
    -average build
    -southpaw (I'm worried that the ambi-safety on thePT1911 will dig into my back carrying IWB)
    -never carried a 1911 before
    -I have a CompTac paddle and C-Tac for other pistols and like their products but am open to others

So just how realistic is it to CCW a full size 1911 wearing normal jackets and shirts?

Thanks for all your opinions/suggestions.
    My problem with a full-size 1911 is the weight the PT1911 at 42+ozs loaded would have me walking funny by the end of the day. The first thing you'd want is a really and I mean really good belt. Next for OWB you can have something hand made or buy off the shelf. The Galco Combat Master is a good choice since it has the FBI cant to it which will help conceal that big 45 on your hip, it's also won some fast draw from concealed contest (see the Feb American Handgunner edition). Don't go with the Galco high ride, I carry my S&W 1911PD in condition 1 and I've seen that it can take the safety off without you knowing it (bad mojo to say the least). I'm (personal preference only) not a big fan of IWB for a 1911, but High Noon, Galco, DeSantis all make good IWB's. Don't get the "J" clips they are not as secure as "C" clips. You'll find that when you go to re-holster you may be trying to fish the holster out of your pants.
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

I carry a 5" 1911.

I use both IWB and OWB, but primarily OWB.

The first thing you need to do is buy a high quality gunbelt. I like and use the Wilderness 5-stitch belt, but Beltman, RafterS, etc. make good belts. I like Galco holsters for off the shelf stuff, but I'd avoid their belts, they're overpriced.

Both my holsters are Galco, simply because I didn't have the chance to wait on a custom rig. The price for having a holster made for you isn't much more, if any, than buying most stuff off a rack. I find OWB to be more comfortable for me, but IWB to be slightly more concealable. IWB=T-shirt for concealment, OWB=camp shirt or polo shirt.

Most paddle holsters, in my experience with them, print a bit more because the belt can't suck 'em in as much due to the holster hanging off the paddle. I prefer loops fore and aft of the gun. Behind the gun and aft would work, too. The loop/slot aft of the gun is critical to bringing the grip frame in close to you.

I carry the same model 1911 as Herzog in a sparks VMII. I ordered a comp-tac MTAC for it earlier this week for tuck-able carry and the bodies for different guns are inexpensive, along with a comp-tac belt. I'm not too happy with my previous leather gunbelts' short lives (loss of stiffness) and expect the kydex to maintain the stiffness over time. I also ordered a Mason-Dixon from Brock at Bluegrass Holsters- site sponsor- for my M&P45 this weekend. Those are two more options for you. Just make sure you get a really good quality gunbelt.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

i finally picked up an OWB for my 1911; it's a desantis mini slide. it'll fit almost any 1911 style pistol. Thumb Break Mini Slide

Sponsored Links