Help with OWB for G36

Help with OWB for G36

This is a discussion on Help with OWB for G36 within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi guys, I'm brand new to the forums and need a little holster help. I've been carrying my Glock 36 in a Bianchi 100 professional ...

Question Help with OWB for G36

Hi guys,

I'm brand new to the forums and need a little holster help. I've been carrying my Glock 36 in a Bianchi 100 professional IWB for a few months now and I like it OK. I would really like to find a high quality OWB that would conceal my G36 well when I'm wearing a typical polo shirt. I've already got a really nice Galco leather gun belt that I use when I wear my S&W 460 (in the woods). So a good belt is already covered. I've also noticed that the majority of the holsters I see and think could be nice aren't made for the G36. I'm thinking that I would need something of the "hi and tight" type, but haven't found one that I'm willing to take the risk on and purchase.

Thanks for any help/advice,
    Eli

P.S. I would really prefer it to be a canted type that could be worn in approx the 4 o'clock position.
    Last edited by elibarton; March 4th, 2008 at 07:12 PM. Reason: add in the P.S.

A warm NC welcome to the forum Eli!!

I also have a G-36 and the holster I use most is an IWB by Shannon Caldwell, Caldwell Gunleather. He has a store on E-bay, and I would suspect that he could make you a nice OWB without a terribly long wait. Check out his E-bay store and send him an inquiry about an OWB for your 36.

The IWB he makes for this gun is called the "Missouri Slick". Two of the OWB holsters I remember are the "Ozark Carry" and the "Missouri Carry". Check him out, he's a nice guy, and makes a very nice, serviceable holster. I am very happy to recommend him.

Jim
    "There is no problem that cannot be solved through the proper use of high explosives"
    G. Alan Foster

highnoonholsters.com also makes a great selection of holsters

Check out Mitch Rosen's 'Upper Limit Express'. Holds it very high and tight. I use this for my G27. They have an Upper Limit line for more. Very good holster IMO.
    Rosen Product Line

I use a Donner Leather made for a G26. It fits great.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Hey guys,
    Thanks very much for all of the responses so far! Here are some of the issues I've found with a couple that you guys have mentioned-
    high noon holsters has a 20-25 week wait (I really dont want to wait that long).
    Mitch Rosens holster cost about $140.00 (I forgot to mention that I'd like to stay around $50.00) and
    Donner Leather's leather guy is in Iraq for the rest of the year and their not accepting orders....

They definitely all look like great holsters!

I did send an email to Caldwell Gunleather inquiring with them.

One holster that I had found and liked but haven't seen any reviews anywhere on was the Don Hume "H721 Open Top" holster.
    Here's a pic of it:

Can anyone comment on it? It supposed to be (according to donhume.com) "a great concealment holster. Features a bodyshield to provide comfort between weapon and the user. Rides high & close to the body." See the description here- DonHume.com

Thanks again guys & gals!
    Last edited by elibarton; March 4th, 2008 at 09:29 PM. Reason: add a couple of statements

I bought a Don Hume H721 for my G19 and liked it so well that I bought another for my G30. For both, these holsters carry well, close and tight at 3:30 (on a good belt of course).

Yes, I'll admit that I was foolish enough to have loaned $150 of my money to one of the well-known, big-name holster makers for 29 weeks now (if I were counting), but day-to-day - this holster is doing just fine.

The Mitch Rosen 'Upper Limit Express' I'm wearing in the pic is $75 and well worth it. If you'll notice, the whole rig rides above the bottom of my belt loops. If that's not what you were asking about--my bad. $42.70 would be a good price though--I'd say go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by sotxrdr View Post
    I bought a Don Hume H721 for my G19 and liked it so well that I bought another for my G30. For both, these holsters carry well, close and tight at 3:30 (on a good belt of course).

Yes, I'll admit that I was foolish enough to have loaned $150 of my money to one of the well-known, big-name holster makers for 29 weeks now (if I were counting), but day-to-day - this holster is doing just fine.
    Thanks for the response! Does the H721 place the end of the barrel of your G30 at or near the bottom of your belt (another words, how high does it ride)?

Ram Rod- I looked on Mitch Rosen's site and saw the $140 retail pricing. Could you please direct me to a distributor with the pricing you listed. -I'd be happy to pay $75 for a quality holster, like the one you listed, but not $140....

Thanks again guys! Please feel free to throw some other ideas out there!
    Last edited by elibarton; March 4th, 2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: respond to Ram Rod

The UPPER LIMIT is a straight-drop belt holster with a high-ride feature. It is positioned to ride as high as possible, while keeping the butt of the weapon tucked against the body and the muzzle off the hip. Worn at the side or slightly forward of the hip, the Upper Limit is also suitable for cross-draw use. A very versatile, comfortable and fast holster.

ORDER: UPL-EXP™

PRICE: $75

From this page: Rosen Product Line
    The 'Express line' is the more economical line. Click on holsters then 'express line' on that page

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    ORDER: UPL-EXPô

PRICE: $75

From this page: Rosen Product Line
    The 'Express line' is the more economical line.
    Sorry- I didn't see the difference, I see now that the $140 is for "premium horsehide". Thanks very much for the clarification.

No problem.

When I had my 36 I carried it IWB most of the time. But when I did carry it OWB I used my DeSantis mini scabbard. It was actually for a G26, 27 but the muzzle is open and the 36 fit very well. I just tightened the tension screw.

This holster held the gun very close to the body. It is probably as tight as you can go without going IWB.

I purchased mine about 7 years ago for around $48.

Good luck.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

My G36 form came in yesterday so check out my site.
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

Quote Originally Posted by MNBurl View Post
    My G36 form came in yesterday so check out my site.

Thanks! I'll be sending you an email shortly!

Links