Which Wilderness Instructors belt??

This is a discussion on Which Wilderness Instructors belt?? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been using a 1 1/2" Wilderness Instructors 5 stitch belt for about the last 1 1/2 years. For some reason my carry rig ...

Thread: Which Wilderness Instructors belt??

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar

Which Wilderness Instructors belt??

I have been using a 1 1/2" Wilderness Instructors 5 stitch belt for about the last 1 1/2 years. For some reason my carry rig (holster varies, gun is Glock 26) seems like I need to pull it up frequently. Maybe I didn't notice it before or I'm paying attention to it more lately. I did recently switch from appendix carry to @ 3-3:30 carry position. I wear an extra mag on the opposite side to "even things out".

Anyway, here's my question. Would getting the CSM model Wilderness Instructors belt (the one with the polymer insert/liner to make it stiffer) be a better option? Are there any pros/cons to switching to one? Are they too stiff to work with? Any thoughts to those of you who have tried both would be greatly appreciated.

I know there are other makers out there, but this is who I would like to stick with. Thanks!

2. Remove Ads

Something I've noticed.

I've been using the same belt, a 1 1/2" 5-stitch for a couple years now. I've noticed something that might help you.

I carry about 3:30 with reloads opposite side, probably same as you. When I tighten the belt, the pistol has to be in it's "final resting place", the spot where it will "settle" as you move around. If not, the once tight belt feels looser as the pistol shifts and releases some of the tension. I notice this most with my IWB.

I'm not sure the CSM would help, as this is a tightness issue, not a support issue. I carry a steel 5" 1911, two reloads, flashlight and two knives. I'm getting good support from the regular 5-stitch. I want to know what the CSM guys are totin'!

Depends on your waist, or in my case waste. The more north of 32" you are, the stiffer the belt needs to be.

I prefer the CSM model w/plastic enhancements for my P226. I can get by with the regular model if using VMII for P2SK, but need stiffer model for UBG Defender and P2SK.

YMMV
    Why is it that you always find things at the last place you looked?
    Because when you find something-you stop looking-Mooch

I have to admit, I am not a fan of my wilderness belt. I have the 1.5" belt in a 36" waist. I find my dickies belt from Walmart holds my mk40 better. The wilderness belt worked well for me as long as I exhaled while tightening it, and tmad it as tight as I could without passing out. If I did that, then I was fine, if not then the gun sagged and/or twisted. I keep it around, but I find myself wearing my dickies belt most of the time. My belt didn't have the optional stiffener though, maybe that would help. I ended up ordering a beltman belt a week ago.
    Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.

I have found snugging up the belt is some times needed for me.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    I've got a 44" waist, and love the support I get from my 5 stitch when carrying my XD40 IWB in my UBG Canute. However, It does let my (all stainless) K frame revolver tip a little in the Avenger style OWB holster. It is partially a function of the holster, though, and since it's primarily for range use, I'm not going to stress it. I definitely second the opinion that you get stuff where you want it and then cinch it up to where nothing moves when you tug on it, but you can still sit comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaystekan View Post
    I ended up ordering a beltman belt a week ago.
    You will like the Beltman belt. I have a Beltman, a Comp-Tac and a Wilderness. The Beltman is by far my favorite.

5.11 Tactical has a belt similar to the Wilderness Instructor belt called the "Operator" that has a polymer insert. I have used one for over a year now for my EDC, and it is rock solid.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    Would getting the CSM model Wilderness Instructors belt (the one with the polymer insert/liner to make it stiffer) be a better option? Are there any pros/cons to switching to one? Are they too stiff to work with? Any thoughts to those of you who have tried both would be greatly appreciated.

I know there are other makers out there, but this is who I would like to stick with. Thanks!
    I have a couple of the regular 5-stitch Wilderness belts (different lengths for IWB and OWB applications) and have wondered the same thing about the polymer inserts... Does anyone have one of these?

I have the belt with the insert and I like the extra support alot. I have noticed that with the stiffness you have a little more bulge over the holster. Not enough to bother me though. Snugging the belt up eliminates all sag with my G36.

Links