Which Holster !

This is a discussion on Which Holster ! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Need help from any of u who edc a p97 . Atm it is my only handgun and cannot afford a new one . I ...

Thread: Which Holster !

Which Holster !

Need help from any of u who edc a p97 . Atm it is my only handgun and cannot afford a new one . I need to find a good holster that i don't have to worry about revealing my gun . I know the 97 is a larger frame gun but i have seen people saying they carry but never heard of the holster that they used . I have a fobus paddle holster but its owb and hard to hide under a tshirt jean combo that i normally wear . Very rarely to a wear a jacket unless its really cold but in NC it doesn't really get that cold to me anyway . Thanks in advance Jason

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    while I have not carried a P97, I do carry a HK USP (same basic dimensions). I have found a 3 slot pancake holster works well , combined with a sturdy gun belt. I use a Strong Holster and a Gould and Goodrich belt, but other brands should work as well.
    I found a 3 slot better as I have the option to carry either straight up and down or with a cant forward. Probably the best way is look on some holster sites(we have many links) and choose what you think you might like. Then ask here as to who has that type of holster and how they like it.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Isn't the pancake holster worn owb ? I like the looks of them but most of my tshirts are kinda short i might have to get some bigger clothes :)

Lead Moderator
    Yes a pancake holster is OWB. I found my USP didn't feel great carrying IWB due to the size.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Roger that i found a guy on the ruger.net forums who carries a p97 everyday actually owns 2 or 3 of them calvin wiles is his name i am asking him now he uses a versa max 2 from milt sparcs and loves it so i am asking him how it wears and what not . thanks for all your info and anyone else that might give more . As i am knew to the whole concealed weapon thing still waiting on my permit to come in . I have allways been one to toss it on the seat and just go but got the permit b/c it doesn't do me any good sitting int he truck .

VIP Member
    The versa Max 2 will work great but the wait is 26 weeks and they cost $120.You also need to learn how to dress around your gun if you are going to carry daily.Kramer makes a very comfortable owb holster but you will need to change the way you dress.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Comp-Tac ( Comp-Tac ) is another favorite brand of many. Prices are fairly reasonable, and they ship very fast (usually within 1 week of ordering, though they say 2).

However, looking through their most recommended choices, the MTAC and CTAC, I don't see the Ruger P97 listed. The P89 and P90 are for both, and the P94 and P95 as well for the CTAC. I'm not familiar enough with the P97 to know what is compatible with it.

I have the MTAC for my S&W M&P 40c, and it's quite comfortable. Pulls the gun in close, is adjustable for cant and depth, and has a nice sweat shield to keep all but the grip of the gun from touching your skin. If the P97 will fit in a molded holster for a P89 or P90, it would be worth a look. Good luck!

-Alec

I have a fobus paddle holster but its owb and hard to hide under a tshirt jean combo that i normally wear .

That's your problem right there, the Holster.

Invest in a good Belt and Holster, preferably an Inside The Waistband. I myself carry either an N_Frame Revolver with a 4" Barrel or a 3" GP100 with no problem.

Call and talk to a good Holster Maker, and order a Belt from them when you order the Holster as they are designed to work as a unit. My list is very short as to whom I recommend:

Milt Sparks
    Matt Del Fatti
    Mitch Rosen
    Greg Kramer
    Bruce Gibson (For Belts)
    Ted Blocker (LFI Holster but use a BeltMan Belt)

That's it. Give them a call and talk to them. One of them should be able to help you out. There are other good makers out there, but these are the ones I use or have used.

Biker

PS. Buy your T-Shirts one size too large as it helps to hide the gat. :)

I carry a USPc everyday. They are thick guns for IWB, I just got a new High Noon slide guard that is awsome! It rides high! A good 2+ inches above my back pocket. It still pulls up close to the body, I would At least check it out! I will post pics later( camera's dead). The bottom of the holster is only 2 inches below your belt,with great support. I'm sure there are others out there, but it would be hard to beat this one for OWB. IMO
    Close Up Slide Guard Black

Last edited by cdwolf; March 6th, 2008 at 11:22 AM.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Links