Any Ladies carry at the IWB at the 1-2 position?

This is a discussion on Any Ladies carry at the IWB at the 1-2 position? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife who has only carried in her purse since receiving her permit, now wants to carry IWB, we're trying to find a comfy holster ...

My wife who has only carried in her purse since receiving her permit, now wants to carry IWB, we're trying to find a comfy holster for her. Do any other ladies out there carry at the 12 o'clock position, IWB ? does it work well for you? is it comfy? we we're thinking maybe smartcarry. Oh , and the pistol is a Kahr MK9. Thanks.

My better half uses a Don Hume JIT at a 2:30 position. Most of her blouses and shirts are worn untucked and in this appendix position her weapon is comfortable and hidden for her. She tried the IWB, but found it didn't fit her waistline very comfortable.

Member Array Bluegrass Holsters's Avatar
    My wife carries her J-Frame at the 1:30-2:00 position.

Photos are Here

New Member Array Charlotta Jorgenson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluegrass Holsters View Post
    My wife carries her J-Frame at the 1:30-2:00 position.

Photos are Here
    I do sometimes. A small frame revolver also.

Wow Brock !...that's a terrific looking holster in your link. It looks quite comfortable too !

C.J.

Member Array Bluegrass Holsters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlotta Jorgenson View Post
    Wow Brock !...that's a terrific looking holster in your link. It looks quite comfortable too !

C.J.
    thank you for the compliments.

I use the SC at the 12-12:30 and it is very comfy. I have a larger frame but have heared very good reviews from smaller framed females that they love their SC just as much.

TDPalmer

I've always said I'd like to hear more about 'appendix carry' would be great to hear somebody discuss it thoroughly - why it works better for them than other methods - maybe some thoughts on why it works better for them. Then, what are the holster considerations for that kind of carry? Does it work great for women? Why?

I had a gander at Bluegrass's wifes photos ... how do you conceal at the 1:30 / 2:00 position ? Does this force you to wear a sweater? The nice thing about typical 3:00 - 5:00 carry is that you can wear an open over-shirt as a cover garment.

I'll put my .02 for what it's worth! Be warned, I'm super new at carrying! I like the appendix carry personally. I'm constantly bending over and my clothes always get hung up my gun when it's in the typical 3-5:00 position. It's generally the worst when I'm buckling the kids in their car seats. Imagine the stampede of mommy when they spot me printing. NOT cool.

I like that the gun is easily within reach at the 1-2:00 position. It's also easier to carry my son on my hip since he doesn't have to be touching the gun. If I had to pull it from the 3-5:00 position, I'd be concerned I would hit one of my kids before I had it up to shoot, as they are young. With the 1-2:00 position, it's right there. For me, the appendix carry is in "my space", whereas the kidney carry, is more behind me, out of "my space", and I just feel more vulnerable with it back there. Maybe I'm not wearing it right at the 3-5:00 position! Who knows.

I typically wear untucked blouses/sweaters so the iwb appendix carry conceals well for me. If I do happen to be wearing something the prints easier, I can always maneuver myself to keep it from printing, or keep whatever I'm carrying right there for the time being. I do not like when the gun rubs against my skin, so I try to wear a cami under a regular shirt/sweater. It has been pretty easy to conceal since it's cold, but I imagine, I'll have to either invest in another holster or get some new clothes for warmer weather (oh darn!)

Oh, and the holster I use is a high noon. It was the split decision, but I took it apart, and basically turned it into the Hidden Ally. I *highly* recommend trying that holster. It has a NO cant, so it's nice and straight... no rib poking.

I am still struggling with keeping the gun closer to my body. When I sit, the butt will often jut out a little. I haven't figured out if I really do need a belt or it's my belly. I suppose it could be my pants too. I have found that I can carry comfortably in some pants and not others. Those with slightly higher waists are totally out for me.

If your wife wants some pics, I will try to take some this evening or tomorrow and post or pm them to you.

I'm glad she is more interested in carrying on her person now!
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

Hi bluedaisy, I'm going to turn this over to my wife and let her type;

Hi Bluedaisy- Fightingchance's wife here. I would love to see some pictures of how you carry. My problem right now is that I have a 4 month old who I carry on my hip sometimes, so I can't carry there. Also, I don't like the thought of my hips being even wider then they already are. I also am not crazy about carrying in my purse or diaper bag for fear that someone will see, or if my purse gets stolen my gun goes with it. So, any help you can give would be appriciated.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by fightingchance View Post
    Hi bluedaisy, I'm going to turn this over to my wife and let her type;

Hi Bluedaisy- Fightingchance's wife here. I would love to see some pictures of how you carry. My problem right now is that I have a 4 month old who I carry on my hip sometimes, so I can't carry there. Also, I don't like the thought of my hips being even wider then they already are. I also am not crazy about carrying in my purse or diaper bag for fear that someone will see, or if my purse gets stolen my gun goes with it. So, any help you can give would be appriciated.

Thanks!
    You're smart! Carrying in a purse or diaper bag could be less than thrilling for the lucky *finder* if other people besides you have access to the diaper bag.
    I can see where you are coming from not wanting to carry on the hips. If your little one was straddling your hip with his/her leg dangling down your front, even carrying appendix would probably still be comfortable. I usually carry my son....albeit not as much these days since he is two, on my left hip, so my right hand is free. My gun (I carry an xd9sc) is on my right side.

I'll go take a few pics and get them posted for you tonight.

Congrats on the decision to carry. I think we women, especially, moms are generally thought of as easy targets.
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

I prefer to carry on the front of my body for easy access and less risk of exposure bending over. I personally haven't had good luck with smartcarry- think it makes me look too man-ish "down there"- but I love the IWB deSantis clip holster I just got, worn at 2-2:30. I conceal a Kahr PM9 there easily, with the grip at the level of the waistband/belt, not above. I have concealed at 12:00-4:00 with a belly band, with the PM9, a revolver, and a KelTec. In my crossbreed, it conceals best at 3:00 on my body.

I do not wear special cover garments. I am completely confident in my little desantis holster with nothing more than an untucked shirt.

One problem with appendix carry the way I do it is the inability to get a full combat grip on the pistol prior to drawing it. However, I don't mind, I basically jam the webbing of my thumb against the backstrap and hook my thumb around the grip to draw, so that as it clears the holster it is automatically in a good position- all I have to do is curl my fingers.

Good luck on finding out what works for you.

Seecamp .32 in an IPS holster by Jim Powell

Colt Defender in a D.M. Bullard He customized this one to change the cant so I could carry it more comfortably at 2 o'clock

Glock 19 in smartcarry

Bersa .380 in a smartcarry - I pulled my waistband down to reveal, usually it stays hidden behind the belt.

All are completely concealed with or without tucking in my shirt. I don't have to change my wardrobe to pull off carrying and I don't have to wear a cover shirt.

I like appendix or 12-12:30 (depending on the gun) because the gun is easily accessible and easier for me to conceal than would be at 3-5 o'clock. I can position the barrel so that if it does print, it just looks like I have something in my pocket.

2 O'clock appendix carry

I'm a man of about 6'3'' and have tried many different carry modes over the years, with different guns. Generally I'd carry a compact gun at 3:30 or so on my belt. About 8 months ago I happened to buy a Kahr MK9, a subcompact gun, and looked for a good way to carry it when deep concealment was important.

The gun is very small and flat, with a "two finger" short grip and 3 inch barrel. But it is all steel, weighs 24 ounces, and is a little heavy for pocket carry. I had read about appendix carry and found a holster by the maker Comp-Tac called the "2 O'clock". It is kydex, fits inside the waistband with "tuckable" capability, and has one very sturdy belt loop rather than two, offset from the gun to reduce thickness. Here is a photo of my gun in the holster:

I liked the gun, which proved to be very accurate and reliable at the range, and started to wear it in the holster some of the time, at the 2 o'clock position. I didn't use the tuckability feature, but instead would wear a cover garment untucked, such as a shirt, sweater vest or sweatshirt.

It has turned out to be one of the most concealable setups I have, and I would recommend it for either men or women. Here are a few advantages and caveats:

1. The gun must be small and flat - short barrel and short grip.

2. The draw is very fast, because you can use the weak side hand to lift the cover garment while drawing with the strong side hand.

3. You need to have a fairly flat stomach, with chest and hip measurements larger than waist, to create a good "hollow" to hide the gun there. Most women and men of normal weight have the right build.

4. It eliminates the "printing" from a holstered gun behind the hip when you bend forward, a big problem with conventional hip carry.

5. It is quite comfortable once you get used to having a holster and gun in that position, and the smaller gun doesn't dig into you when you bend forward. But I don't think it would work as well with a large gun.

6. As usual, wear dark colored cover garments for best concealment.

7. I think the best gun choices are Kahrs, Walther PPK or PPS, S&W J frame snubby revolvers, Keltecs, or perhaps a 1911 with 3 inch barrel. These two below work:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Links