Alessi Refurbish making due w/old leather

This is a discussion on Alessi Refurbish making due w/old leather within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I bought this holster off ebay... got it for ~$10.50... it is an Alessi Hideout; I believe. Description as purchased... Brown Allesi holster for ...

Thread: Alessi Refurbish making due w/old leather

So I bought this holster off ebay... got it for ~$10.50... it is an Alessi Hideout; I believe.

Description as purchased...
    Brown Allesi holster for Smith & Wesson 4516
    Here is a Brown Allesi holster for Smith & Wesson 4516 for your bidding pleasure.
    The holster is in excellent condition overall with just a very few signs of use as you can see from the pictures. Quite strong and pliable. It is marked 4516 1 so, I presume it fits a discontinued S & W 4516.
    and later in the description...again....
    A nice looking holster rig in excellent condition and no reserve!

Here is a photo...

This holster arrived nicely packed and upon inspection I realized that this is not ECXELLENT CONDITION as stated, it is infact flatened and very soft...(not the quality you want in a holster) it had very little rigidity left in the old leather... obviously this had seen its day and has long since been up for retirement.

I purchased this holster to try for my Smith and Wesson 945-40. This is a performance center pistol built on the 4516 frame; the compact .40 caliber version of the 945.

The holster was dirt cheap and it would give me an opportunity to rule out another variation of the 4516 in my quest for a holster. The 4516 came in many varients, ie... 4516, 4516-1, 4516-2... etc. This holster was for the -1 variety. Not having much invested and finding that my pistol did not fit the holster, I opted not to complain to the seller, after all we are only talking $10, and to be fair, he/she probably thought it was tip top!

TIME TO EXPERIMENT
    The next thing I did was wash the holster, degrease the outer and inner surfaces and fill it with near boiling water...
    I then ziplocked and heatgunned my performance center pistola and proceded to stuff it into the now slimy, pliable and somewhat FUBAR'ed holster... Lou will disinherit me I am sure...
    I will also say that my labrador retreiver was rather upset at this point having been cheated out of a very vialbe chew toy...

Here it is after the boning and drying a few hours under the halogen shop lights...
    If your not packin' your slackin'

Its better to have and not need than to need and not have, keep it safe but keep it loaded!

USN : Desert Storm

Hmmm... looking interesting...

I can't stand a tan holster against a black belt, and all my belts are black... well you see where this is going! After drying much longer than I actually had patience for, I dug through my shelves and found a bottle of Tandy MIDNIGHT BLACK leather dye...

On with the science experiment.

I applied the dye and allowed to dry... I had to reapply some areas as the leather did not pull the dye in as well. I had used a scotch brite pad to rough up the BODY side of the holster and was not as agressive on the belt side. The dye took well and the results are here..

Still slightly wet..

I let the holster dry a couple of days as I did not have any leather finish (acrylic sealer to prevent color bleed). Picked up the sealer at HOBBY LOBBY and got back to work...

After the sealer dried and was ready to trial...

And after a full day in the belt...no black on the shirt... I hope it stays that way!!!

AND YOU ALL THOUGHT I WAS CRAZY.... well maybe just a little....

And for LOU, I promise not to pass this on to sombody else...

Hope you all enjoyed the long winded experiment with holster modification. What I woud say is that this holster was very close to fitting, but not quite. The controls are different on the 945-40 than the 4616. Enough so that I do not believe a 4516 holster will work, and I have yet to find a holster maker that has a blank for this gun, so I gave it a shot. I do not know if it will hold up, but currently the gun fits nice, the pull is slightly looser than a purchased holster from Alessi, but the holster has been through the ringer, literally.

Cheers and good shooting...

Its better to have and not need than to need and not have, keep it safe but keep it loaded!

Well, the original seller did say it was "pliable"!
    Nice reincarnation. Don't know about the heat gun though...
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Mr. Alessi probably stopped suddenly, looked up from his sewing machine or clicker dye and said, "I feel a disturbance in the force..." when you soaked it.
    Seriously, it looks like it fits in all the right places. No problem with being too pliable since it's IWB (discounting reholstering), looks like that allowed you to save it and make the $10.50 holster you'll ever see, if it fits as good as it looks. I personally would have chickened out on the black dye, though. Nice little project.
    What Would Gumby Do?

sweet job there sir... what did you use for the boning?

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    You did a great job! Not bad for 10 bucks.

Ginger Kid,

To do the bone work, I used (cough) a Sharpe Marker... I have a MONSTER version that has a large rounded end. I then used a fine point version that has a squared butt that worked well to define the sharp edges and the inside trigger area. This I wanted to be sharply defined as it is what holds the gun in along with the ejection port area... It worked pretty well. I used what I had on hand, and the plastic marker bodies worked quite well.

Clean / Degrease
    - Brake Clean
    - Detergent and Hot Water
    - Phospher Bronze Brush to remove embedded crud
    - Scotch Brite pads again for the embedded crud

Bone / Shape
    - Sharpe Markers
    - Fingers

Dye / Seal
    - Scotch Brite pads to rough up leather
    - Eco Flo Dye from Tandy Leather in Midnight Black
    - Sponge Brush to apply Dye
    - Shop Rags to buff and rub
    - Fiebings Leather Sheen (Acrylic Sealer) prevents bleed and helps to water proof. (Added $4.77 to the total budget)
    - Wool Daubers to apply Leather Sheen

I had the Createx Opaque black water based color on hand in case the dye did not take. The Createx is heat cured and turns to a vinyl like finish when heated... this was a last resort and I did not end up needing it...

Overall it was a fun and interesting project and did not cost much to boot. I figure with Shipping on the holster and the Leather Sheen and Misc Supplies, I have about $25 into it...

Good Job !! That will become one of your favorite's.

Take care
    Alex

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    The drying time.... it appeared that you left your gun in while it was drying?

I always mold the holster, remove the gun, then let the holster dry in front of a fan. Definitely speeds up the process and takes away the risk of rust to a real firearm (plastic punctures).

Nate
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

nice job, looks great
    Jack dog

Quote Originally Posted by jackdog View Post
    nice job, looks great
    I agree
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Sponsored Links