Do you use/recommend shoulder system rig? - Page 3

Do you use/recommend shoulder system rig?

This is a discussion on Do you use/recommend shoulder system rig? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a Galco shoulder harness for my Sig P239 and am not overly taken by that mode of carry. I mostly wear a vest ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do you use/recommend shoulder system rig?

I have a Galco shoulder harness for my Sig P239 and am not overly taken by that mode of carry.

I mostly wear a vest and sometimes the straps will be visible through the arm holes, despite the fact they are not that big.

I've also found the weight distribution is just odd enough that my back aches.

If I want deep concealment, I find the UnderCover Comfort tee shirt holster system much more stable and concealed.

So for me, IWB works better for me in almost all situations. When it doesn't work, the UCC shirt seems to do the trick better than other options.

The only case where I still (very occasionally) use the shoulder holster is in certain driving situations considering drawing from IWB while sitting in the car is pretty difficult. But even then, I can't just wear the vest, I need a jacket.

-john

I guess I will be the lone voice of decent.

I do not use or recommend them.

The horizontal holster violates the second safety rule (never point the weapon at anything you are not willing to destroy). The muzzle of the pistol is constantly pointed at whatever is directly behind you. Then, if the snap comes loose, gravity will take effect. I have seen this happen in restaurants, on the street and in the sand. The vertical holsters are somewhat better, as the muzzle is pointed down.

There are a few valid applications where hip, IWB, or thigh holsters will not work (e.g., riding a motorcycle / bike). Another application is for security drivers (for their second / backup gun).

Finally, these holsters are mechanically inefficient. Try reholstering with one hand… heck; it is still somewhat awkward using two hands.
    Tony Siciliano
    Senior Instructor
    LMS Defense - East Coast
    tonysiciliano@lmsdefense.com
    www.lmsdefense.com
    Join us on the LMSD Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu View Post
    I think a shoulder rig is better for women in many regards, because most IWB set ups are not comfortable for women. I imagine it's gotta be more comfortable than having the butt of a gun digging into your liver with an IWB worn at 3:00 - 4:30.
    -JT
    My wife finds a shoulder rigs unusable. She has a 38DD rack that she can barely reach over around & under to draw. She can draw much faster from her purse and/or fire with the gun still in her purse. I rather she carry on person but as long as she is working in oncology, it looks like purse carry is her only real option. Better than not at all
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I like the Kramer and Alessi shoulder rigs.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    My wife has a Sam Andrews Monarch rig and loves it. She loves it so much she has a second, custom rig on order from Sam. She carries a G 26 which is not a "full-size" tho.

I guess the cover depends on the cut of the suit or formal. Highly tailored and tightly cut, I don't know - I'd guess not.
    Found this Andrews Fire Power Rig to wear under my aussie duster for those mall nija rambo days

Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links