Pretend I Am Your College Buddy & Help Me Choose My First Holster

This is a discussion on Pretend I Am Your College Buddy & Help Me Choose My First Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am a guy who learns the hard way, so I decided to try holster shopping at Cabela's & Academy Sports this afternoon. Total failure. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pretend I Am Your College Buddy & Help Me Choose My First Holster

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar

I am a guy who learns the hard way, so I decided to try holster shopping at Cabela's & Academy Sports this afternoon. Total failure. They have Uncle Mike's junk galore & a bunch of cowboy holsters with thumb guards.

So I realize that I am going to have to order from one of the big names in the business. Comp-Tac keeps coming up so I may begin with them.

I am 5'9", a few lbs. under 170, in good shape & am relatively slim. I am thinking OWB and here's why:

IWB- not willing to rebuy my entire pants wardrobe four sizes bigger just yet

SOB (small of back)- seems tough to drive this way

ANKLE- no thanks, seems uncomfortable

SHOULDER RIG- I live in Texas & minimal layers are key

So I am looking for a nice OWB that I can wear with a 1.5" belt & use with a Springfield XD40 (4" barrel). I will not be carrying to work (prohibited) though once I become comfortable, I will carry as much as possible.

I realize that it's a matter of personal preference but I am too ignorant to have a personal preference. Please suggest what you would to your buddy from college that was calling you up & had my situation!

Hey McPatrick,

I'm in Mansfield, I know your not looking for IWB but that's what I do.

Nick.

kpw
    I'm starting to sound like a broken record but check out Nate's stuff at index His Bonneville makes my G19 disappear under a t-shirt. I see Nick's holsters get great reviews at 1911forum, too.

dont give up on IWB. unless your carrying a monster of a gun or unless you wear your pants skin tight, they really don't take up as much room as you think. I am 6' and 150 lbs and carry a full size 1911 all the time and I can wear the same pants even if I don't have my 1911. As far a choices, they are unlimited. It all depends on the budget. Check out tucker for leather or on a cheaper scale look at blade tech. I have used on of there IWB for carry and comp. for years
    "F.S.S."

High Noon Holsters

Fast, good service, good leather. It'll hold you over while you wait for your BBQ holster from here:

Milt Sparks Holsters
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

You really don't have to buy a size bigger pants unless the pants you already have are a size too small. Can you fit your (unloaded) gun in your pants? If so, you can probably carry IWB comfortably. It will be much easier to conceal also!

Austin

Member Array Bluegrass Holsters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McPatrickClan View Post
    I am a guy who learns the hard way, so I decided to try holster shopping at Cabela's & Academy Sports this afternoon. Total failure. They have Uncle Mike's junk galore & a bunch of cowboy holsters with thumb guards.

So I realize that I am going to have to order from one of the big names in the business. Comp-Tac keeps coming up so I may begin with them.

I am 5'9", a few lbs. under 170, in good shape & am relatively slim. I am thinking OWB and here's why:

So I am looking for a nice OWB that I can wear with a 1.5" belt & use with a Springfield XD40 (4" barrel). I will not be carrying to work (prohibited) though once I become comfortable, I will carry as much as possible.

I realize that it's a matter of personal preference but I am too ignorant to have a personal preference. Please suggest what you would to your buddy from college that was calling you up & had my situation!
    you could look at some of the photos of folks with my rigs and decide if they would work for you. I would be happy to make an OWB rig that allows you to conceal under a loose shirt.

Let me know if I can be of assistance to you.

take care

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    For an off the shelf holster, the Don Hume H721 OT is a good buy. I've got an Alessi CQC/S on order too.

Hey buddy, call brock!!!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I went inside the waistband from CompTac and didn't change pants at all. I got their minataur and I find it hard to think anything else would work better.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

JD
    Administrator
    As stated above, Nate @ UBG, he seems to have the best prices and turn around time. My wife has a UBG regulator and it truly makes her 1911 almost disappear. I can't guarantee that it will conceal your XD as effectively, as guaranteeing that any holster and gun combo can do "X" is kind of silly in my book, but I'd say it's a step in the right direction.

Regarding IWB, this is usually the most effective method of concealment, even though you can cut down on some of the experimentation through asking for member insight, but I think you should at least try and IWB. I don't need to buy pants any bigger, I tried that when I first started carrying and when I wasn't carrying my pants would be falling down, or were bunched up at the waist, I then started carrying in my normal size pants and believe it or not, I didn't have any issue, then again, this is with a 1911 which is pretty slim, but the point I'm trying to illustrate is that it just might work with your regular size jeans.

Even with the help of this forum, you still might end up with a holster drawer, might as well have a drawer full of quality holsters and I'd definitely give an IWB a try before swearing it off.

Definately give Bluegrass Holsters a look. He did a wonderful job by me. His work is top quality.

There are a ton of great holster makers on this forum who can make what you are looking for, prices are extremely competitive, and turn around times are pretty great.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Senior Member Array McPatrickClan's Avatar
    Brock- I went to your site but did not find many details. Is there another place I could see your work?

Thanks.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Check out the Eagle Defender or the Laredo Defender from K&D Holsters K&D Holsters | Custom Gun Leather and Shooting Accessories I have the Laredo for my Glock 22 and the Eagle for my XD45 compact. Can't go wrong with either holster.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links