Holsterless carry - Page 3

Holsterless carry

This is a discussion on Holsterless carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey! I already made this gag on the thread where someone asked about the different clock positions in regards to carrying! -JT...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Holsterless carry

Hey! I already made this gag on the thread where someone asked about the different clock positions in regards to carrying!

-JT

tried holsterless once couldn't find a way to secure my weapon like that so i borrowed a holster from my brother to secure my SW5906. it wasn't a good concealment holster but it was better than dropping my gun in the mud and crap.(a good holster should actualy lessen the time needed to spend on maintnence)
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

LOL I read about this Urban Gentleman who was Mexican carrying his gat, and had some sort of ND problem. I guess the first one went through his left testicle, which caused him to flinch, jerk the trigger, and put a second round into his left thigh. OUCH!
    After reading that story, I would be extremely hesitant to shove a loaded weapon into my pants.....holster or not!
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    and of course we've all read about the guy that shot his "manhood" off when grabbing the gun that he carried "Mexican" style....
    That would be my fear too. I think some sort of physical "idiot proof" barrier between my finger and trigger is necessary. Anything to reduce the possibility of a ND.

Also, in terms of training, i think a good holster in a consistent place will speed and improve the reliability of your drawing.

stay safe...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

I've "Mexican Carried" off and on for the past twenty plus years.

It has it's place, but I don't advocate it for daily use. Last time I did it was this morning. My new Mitch Rosen Holster arrived this afternoon.

Biker

Accident waiting to happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by packin45 View Post
    LOL I read about this Urban Gentleman who was Mexican carrying his gat, and had some sort of ND problem. I guess the first one went through his left testicle, which caused him to flinch, jerk the trigger, and put a second round into his left thigh. OUCH!
    After reading that story, I would be extremely hesitant to shove a loaded weapon into my pants.....holster or not!

Cops: Kidnapper shoots self in testicle - Criminal weirdness - MSNBC.com
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

Senior Moderator
    I have "Mex" carried a few times.. all of them have been to the front door and back when getting the mail or answering the door or waiting for JD to come back from checking something, or running out to the car to grab something.

Almost always I've had to put extra pressure on my gun to keep it from sliding down my pants and getting irretrievably lost in my pant leg on the way to the ground.

Even on those rare occasions I haven't had to hold it I've still found it awkward to draw because the grip is so buried in my waistline. There's nothing to initially wrap my fingers around to draw the gun quickly.

Safety isn't a HUGE concern because I have my thumb safety engaged, but I still believe strongly in protecting the trigger. I don't care how many safeties a gun has as long as you keep "stuff" (including your finger) out of the trigger guard your gun is not going to go bang. Conversely, if you don't protect your trigger, Murphy may find you at a particularly vulnerable moment.

Not a mode of carry I would trust for every day all day.

Out in town where I might end up running, tripping, jumping, climbing, bending, reaching, twisting, turning, interacting with children with graby fingers, trying on clothes at the clothing store, giving my friends and family hugs... I'm not going to risk it.

What does "Mexican Carry" Mean?

I had always thought that "Mexican Carry" means to just stuff the firearm inside your waistband.

Never was any question in my mind that this was NOT good.

There is a much better way to carry without a holster and all it costs is a 14 inch piece of parachute cord.

The cord is looped around the belt and another loop is tied into the other end which allows the muzzle to go through and stops the firearm at the trigger guard.

Put firearm inside the waistband and it is pretty stable.

Safe to use with a revolver. Not a good idea with one of those funny looking autos with the funky double trigger thing.

I've carried a .38 snub this way quite a bit. Also works well with my Colt Commander .45 carried in condition 3.

Actually, it is easier to just slip the snub into a pocket.

And the (steel) Commander rides a lot better in a regular holster.

Not trying here to advocate the para cord route, but only to show that in a pinch one can manage with a piece of parachute cord and not be afraid of something slipping out.

...Skye...

I carry my G23 or G27 in a MIC HOLSTER - I either carry it like Mexican carry (G27) or 3:00 position. Very fast draw! I have carried all my Glocks (33,19,26,17) with the same MIC holster. If anyone don't know what a MIC holster is and how it works, check it out in YouTube ...

When I was a very young cop, I use to carry like that on occasion. Here are the shortcomings, some of which have already been mentioned:

1. Without a holster, it is not secure, so the gun is going to slip and move around no matter how tight the belt and pants. No ifs ands or butts. It will wiggle sideways, wiggle up and down and come lose at the worst possible time, fall down in your underwear and you will be constantly having to touch and realign it giving away clues that you are carrying. I do not want a scramble for a dropped gun with a Bad Guy. And I don't believe in Murphy's Law. I believe in O'Reilly's Law - he thought Murphy was an optimist!)

2. The entire pistol will either be pressed against a T-Shirt if you are wearing one, or bare skin. Bare skin will be transferring sweat, salts and skin cells to the gun through constant contact, which is bad enough for a quality Stainless Steel slide or revolver, but not so good on anything blued. Try a hot Texas summer and see how much sweat runs down the ol' Plummers Highway. This means cleaning the weapon almost daily on the exterior to try to fight off micro rust and buildup of crud in the works. At the least, a holster protects the metal and action works of the gun.

3. It is NOT SECURE!!!! I know I have mentioned that already, but it is so important I added it again. If that bicyclist that was knocked off of his bicycle recently had been carrying sans holster, there is every chance the pistol could have gone skittering down the trail after he fell and he could not have defended himself successfully. I want that pistol exactly in the same place it always rests so my motor memory will send my hand directly to the grip, not groping around blindly hoping the pistol can be found.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    There's very little more inconvenient or uncomfortable when talking carrying than a self inflicted bullet wound... I'll stick with a good holster.

Think again about not using a holster. Read this:

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwauk...135265738.html
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger Mouse View Post
    I do not know how people feel about it
    I can tell you that on all three firearms forums of which I am a member, posting this on any one of them will usually get you flamed and everyone says its a bad idea for safety reasons. If you want an inexpensive holster ($25) that works in any position without belt clips, try a Remora. There are at least two threads with reviews of the Remora on this forum.

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Wow, this thread started almost 4 years ago.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links